New washer (clothes)

/ New washer (clothes) #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I've got a very small leak in my washer. I've pulled it out and turned on side to look underneith it. I can't yet find anywhere obvious for the leak. Next, I plan to put it on some 4x4's and raise it so I can fill it and run it while looking under it. Seems the drips on floor (and it's only drips, not much volume) are located under the pump which also means there's a couple hoses there.

The washer is a Lady Kenmore if that matters.

I'm wondering several things.... any "typical" or probable place to look on a washer that is maybe 15 years old and still going strong? Everything on it is original. I was HOPING to find a hole in one of the hoses but not sure I'm going to be that lucky.

Next question is what about some of these new washers, specifically, like the ones without the agitator. I like the capacity of this one in the link but it seems it's simply built different than a traditional washer.

Oh, and before someone suggests I look at a front loader, a front loader will simply NOT work. I don't have the closet depth for them (I've already looked). Also... I'm NOT concerned at all about any kind of water savings in a washer... my well is over 100 gpm (though my pump won't pump it all) but the point is... I've got plenty of water.

Here's a link to the washer I'm looking at Top-loading Washers WTW6600S from Whirlpool Home Appliances

Anyone here using one of these top loading washers with the "wheel" inside it instead of the traditional agitator? Care to opine on its performance??

TIA!

:)

/ New washer (clothes) #2  
You may be able to remove front of washer and , being careful, run the washer with front off. This will likely show you the leak location. Filler lines, pump hoses can leak. Also pump and discharge lines. Main seal but is highly unlikely.

/ New washer (clothes) #3  
Richard,
If you have the a washer made like I think you do, this will more than likely be the problem. The external drain hose goes on a plastic bulk head, then the internal drain hose goes on to the same plastic bulk head. The bulk head is bad to crack and leak. Check both sides. I have seen two Kenmores of that age that had this problem.

/ New washer (clothes) #5  
Richard,

I have lost the links but I have had some error codes on my front loader washer twice of the years. Just had one last week. I googled the codes and washer name/model and got quite a few hits. Quite a few discussions on what could be wrong. Thankfully both times the two different error codes where from a clogged outlet filter which is easy peasy to fix.

How did we live without the Internet?

Later,
Dan

/ New washer (clothes) #6  
I think Sears will troubleshoot your Kenmore over the phone.

/ New washer (clothes)
JerryG said:
The external drain hose goes on a plastic bulk head, then the internal drain hose goes on to the same plastic bulk head. The bulk head is bad to crack and leak. Check both sides.

I thought I'd try to hit the 'easy button' and see if this was it. I didn't (don't) really want to set it up on blocks & start it while sticking my head under it.

Unfortunately, this bulk head didn't SEEM to have any cracks so I think I'm going to go to stage 2 (sticking head under it). If that doesn't work then I'll use this as a good excuse to replace it.

So, to change the subject a bit... does anyone here use one of these washers (in the link way above) that do not have a traditional agitator?? Are these any good?