Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nat
    Platinum Member

Default Re: Propane Heaters for cabin

Coyote , I'm going thru the same search right now. My office is in the basement and gets pretty cold down here, and with the weather we have had latley my little 1500W electric doesn't cut it. I have NG here for a gas stove and water heater so I'm looking at getting a small gas fired wall heater to mount on the wall. Northern has blue flame and ceramic infared listed and it seems either will do the job, but my thoughs are the ceramic will be cleaner.
    I'll follow this thread for a few days before I decide. later, Nat

Tractor
    Yanmar 2000B & Skat Trak 1300D skid steer

Thanks Skyco. Sounds like our "shacks" are similar. I like the cabinet style from TC you mentioned. Have you used it yet? Does propane give off as much moisture as kerosene? Those heaters are wet, lots of condensation over night. How long does the 20lb tank last in the cabinet heater?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyco
    I use the blue flame type in my little mountain shack in NC. With no fan the temp stratifies very heavily. Floor area cold and ceiling hot, ok in the middle
    Don't know of the infrared type will be any better, I just picked up an infrared portable at Tractor Supply I may try there...but it really is for emergency backup at my home in SC.
    Ditto the CO detector and be sure to add a smoke detector too, don't want to wake up dead

Here is the one I just bought-Tractor Supply Company - Pro-Temp Cabinet Utility Heater I like it because it is all contained in one cabinet, including the 20lb LP tank!

This is similar to what I've been using- Tractor Supply Company - 20K BTU/Hour Vent-Free Blue Flame LP Heater I have it mounted on the wall near the floor with the tank outside.
    Coyote Creek

Tractor

Your cabin looks large for the only heat to be a gas fireplace! Do you have a blower on it? How long do you get out of a 100lb tank? My cabin is 12' X 20', uninsulated dutch barn style.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhobbyfarmer
    I use a propane "fireplace", (you know the fake ceramic logs and fireplace look) to heat my cabin. Works good but with a vaulted type ceiling it takes awhile to heat everything up. A lot of the heat goes up in the ceiling and stays. Wasteful, yes but I wanted the vaulted look when I built my cabin. I have two 100 lb cylinders outside with the supply line coming inside to the heater. When one cylinder runs out all I have to do is switch the line to the other cylinder, load the empty one on my truck to bring back full the next time I return.
    Coyote Creek

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Century 3647

I've got one of these in my home office, and it's amazing.
    With this, I can keep the room I spend most of my time in warm, and the rest of the house is not wasting heat.

Reiker Room Conditioner Textured White - Free Shipping - Ceiling Fans

Anthony

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

Quote Originally Posted by gordon21
    I guess they only are trying to get a room up to 66-70 degrees. I prefer a lot warmer.

Buy a CO 2 monitor. It could save your life.
    68 in my house.... a lot warmer than 70!....oooookkkkkk my grandma likes it at like 78
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    Thanks Skyco. Sounds like our "shacks" are similar. I like the cabinet style from TC you mentioned. Have you used it yet? Does propane give off as much moisture as kerosene? Those heaters are wet, lots of condensation over night. How long does the 20lb tank last in the cabinet heater?
    I've only used it outdoors as a test run and to burn off any initial "stink" new heaters have. I've not noticed a moisture problem with the blue flame heater but then I do have some ventilation when running it to keep it from suffocating me.
    As for how long on a tank my rough calculation* shows that on high it should last about 24 hours. There are 3 levels of burn each adding 6,000 BTU. So on low it should go about 72 hours. My little "shack" is only 8x12 and insulated well, When the wife and I and 2 dogs are in it sleeping the blue flame heater rarely runs more than the pilot light down to about 30 degrees.
    Which reminds me- the cabinet heater does NOT have a thermostat so that could be a problem, the wall mounted blue flame one does. As I said I bought it more as an emergency backup for home. I have generators to make electricity during a power outage but none big enough to run the main heat pump.

*Propane has 91,500 BTU per gallon....a 5 gallon (20 lb) tank therefore has 457,500 BTUs so a 18,000 BTU heater should last about 25.4 hours, give or take a little.....actually I'm not sure a 20 lb tank holds quite 5 gallons since propane is 4.24 lbs per gallon even though I've heard them referred to as both 20 lb or 5 gallon...so that is rounded down to come up with 24 hours, at full heat output.

Tractor

Update....I bought two heaters this week, a Dyna Glo Tag Along at HD 50% off at $65.00. This is the Big Buddy version with two tanks. I just picked up an Outdoorsman from Reddy Heat, link below. Got it at Northern Tool. This is a complete kit, just plug in a 20 lb tank, it is a wall mounted blue flame. These two should do it. I won't use kerosene again...too stinky! I'm eventually going to a wood stove but can't afford to lose the floor space in my little cabin!

Reddy Heater RH10PT Outdoorsman Heater @ FMConline
    Coyote Creek

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford New Holland

We use two Mr. Heaters to heat our 600 sqft (3 rm 1 bath) cabin. With no eclectic we choose to use both kerosene and propane depending on temps and hunting season. During bow we use just propane and the rest of the time Karo and propane as needed. The smell does bother us some but we leave a window or two cracked at all times, this really helps and is much safer. When we burn propane we get much more condensation. The other thing about the Karo heater we like is being able to place a 7 gallon turkey fryer pot half full on top of the heater and have hot water all weekend.

The Mr. heater units we have burn about 28-32 hours on a Wall Mart tank which I think is 17.5 # of propane.

The wood stove would be great but as you pointed out takes up to much room and once hot cant be turned off like the heaters.

Deaf

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    Update....I bought two heaters this week, a Dyna Glo Tag Along at HD 50% off at $65.00.
    Interesting, I just bought a kerosene torpedo heater from HD a couple days ago. It was $410 when I was looking a month ago, it was $280 a couple days ago. I asked the guy why the big discount. He told me that the spring stuff is coming in and they need to get rid of the heaters.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

I'm forever done with unvented kerosene heaters. Bought one of the Kero-Suns back when the fad hit in the 70's. Still have it, never use it. I'd rather freeze They just stink too much for me to tolerate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast