Propane Heaters for cabin

/ Propane Heaters for cabin #1  

Coyote

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2000B & Skat Trak 1300D skid steer
I am researching propane heaters for a small cabin. There are blue flame models, (convection) and infrared ceramic plaque heaters, same BTU. Anybody have experience with both to compare? Glo-Warm is the manufacturer, sold at Home Depot and on sale right now! Thanks for any input!

/ Propane Heaters for cabin #2  
If a fan might be important..........

I am pretty sure there are some blue flame models with integral fans. They may blow air through a shroud and work sorta like an fireplace insert. I don't remember ever seeing any type of fan with the ceramic type.

If you like it warm, take the mfgr rating and divide by 2. If it says it is good for 1200SF, then plan on it being OK for only 600SF. Those ratings are very optimistic. I guess they only are trying to get a room up to 66-70 degrees. I prefer a lot warmer.

Buy a CO 2 monitor. It could save your life.

/ Propane Heaters for cabin #3  
How much do you plan on using them? Propane is pretty pricey these days.

/ Propane Heaters for cabin #4  
I use the blue flame type in my little mountain shack in NC. With no fan the temp stratifies very heavily. Floor area cold and ceiling hot, ok in the middle;)
Don't know of the infrared type will be any better, I just picked up an infrared portable at Tractor Supply I may try there...but it really is for emergency backup at my home in SC.
Ditto the CO detector and be sure to add a smoke detector too, don't want to wake up dead:eek:

Here is the one I just bought-Tractor Supply Company - Pro-Temp Cabinet Utility Heater I like it because it is all contained in one cabinet, including the 20lb LP tank!

This is similar to what I've been using- Tractor Supply Company - 20K BTU/Hour Vent-Free Blue Flame LP Heater I have it mounted on the wall near the floor with the tank outside.

/ Propane Heaters for cabin #5  
Coyote said:
I am researching propane heaters for a small cabin. There are blue flame models, (convection) and infrared ceramic plaque heaters, same BTU. Anybody have experience with both to compare? Glo-Warm is the manufacturer, sold at Home Depot and on sale right now! Thanks for any input!

Both heat quite well (depending on btu) The blue flame is a little safer in my opinion because of the glass front over the burner. Thermostat control models work great. If this is a small cabin , you may want to introduce a little outside air while the heater is in operation

Last edited:
   / Propane Heaters for cabin #6  
I'd forgotten about the outside air...when I first tried running the blue flame in my shack it would go out midway through the night. Finally figured out it was the oxygen depletion sensor doing it's job. It was a requirement to have some outside air if I wanted to stay warm;)

/ Propane Heaters for cabin #7  
I've used the infared plaque style in our office for the last few years. They are great heaters and very efficient. Some of the larger models should have fans to help with the heat. We have a ceiling fan we use to help move the air around if needed. Our is one of the small models, generally consider a bathroom style and it does a pretty good job of heating a 14'x40' area. Down by the floor does get pretty cool if it is very cold outside though.;) 15 years old now the only maintainence it has ever had is to blow out the orifice for the pilot light every couple of years. Dust seems to build up in it in the summer.

/ Propane Heaters for cabin #8  
I use a propane "fireplace", (you know the fake ceramic logs and fireplace look) to heat my cabin. Works good but with a vaulted type ceiling it takes awhile to heat everything up. A lot of the heat goes up in the ceiling and stays. Wasteful, yes but I wanted the vaulted look when I built my cabin. I have two 100 lb cylinders outside with the supply line coming inside to the heater. When one cylinder runs out all I have to do is switch the line to the other cylinder, load the empty one on my truck to bring back full the next time I return.

/ Propane Heaters for cabin #9  
TNhobbyfarmer said:
I use a propane "fireplace", (you know the fake ceramic logs and fireplace look) to heat my cabin. Works good but with a vaulted type ceiling it takes awhile to heat everything up. A lot of the heat goes up in the ceiling and stays. Wasteful, yes but I wanted the vaulted look when I built my cabin. I have two 100 lb cylinders outside with the supply line coming inside to the heater. When one cylinder runs out all I have to do is switch the line to the other cylinder, load the empty one on my truck to bring back full the next time I return.

If you have electricity I have had pretty good luck pointing a stand fan (laying it back) into the ceiling on an angle and it pushes the hot air down the far wall and mixes it in some.

/ Propane Heaters for cabin #10  
I have one of the blue flame heaters installed in my garage. Initially I was not happy because all of the heat went straight up the wall, and stayed at ceiling height. I then fashioned a sloping hood out of aluminum flashing which sticks out about 10" from the wall directly above the heater... this helps in directing the heat out into the room. I then hung a 20" box fan above the hood, and run it on low speed, pushing the heated air into the room. This may not be the prettiest setup, but it works very well in keeping the heat distributed well throughout the garage... I am very satisfied.