Highlander cattle

/ Highlander cattle #1  

4720 OWNER

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Is there any one out there running Highlander cattle?

/ Highlander cattle #2  
You mean these?
i dont have any but my wife ( and I ) think they are awesome. We saw this pair while driving around the PA countryside and had to stop to snap some pics.
IMG_0278.jpg

/ Highlander cattle #3  
Here is a site:
http://wolfemountainfarms.com/

that raises / sells / and teaches about these animals.

If you will email Mrs.Wolfe (wolfe1@getgoin.net) she is full of knowledge and always willing to help others if she can. She can probably help you with any questions.

If you contact her, tell "Abe" from Michigan said hi.

/ Highlander cattle #4  
I don't have them, but I have a neighbor who does. They survive cold weather very well and have a very gentle disposition. They can live on some really poor forage and reproduce easily.

/ Highlander cattle #5  
We have 2 Scottish Highlander steers, we were training to be oxen. Due to life getting in the way that never developed. As mentioned above for the most part they have a sweet disposition, the one is actually cranky and the other one likes more attention.

From what I recall, the picture is that of females, the horns are more upright vs males that stay more hozional. Last time we measured tip to tip was around 52" and they know exactly where those tips are. One night the one got his tip in the belt loop of my back of dad's jeans and took him for a little suprise. LOL.

/ Highlander cattle
Thanks guys. Currently working with a herd of about 30 about half and half bulls and cows. Before anyone gets upset, this is a left over herd that was marginally cared for the past couple years. Am currently reducing the herd slowly by monthly intervals to the locker plant. The herd has much better disposition now that some of the naughty ones have been relocated to little white packages in the freezer. Biggest complaint have gotten back on the beef is that there is not enough fat in it so people try to cook it too much and end up with something that is more suitable for walking on, but the flavor is wonderful.

On the hoof sales have been weak if at all. Lookers but no buyers unless giving them away, like it is a favor or something. North and west of here, calves that were going for $200 are now going for $100 if at all. Yet in the grocery store they have no problem charging $4.29 for a pound of 96% lean.

/ Highlander cattle
ToadHill said:
I don't have them, but I have a neighbor who does. They survive cold weather very well and have a very gentle disposition. They can live on some really poor forage and reproduce easily.

You should see how exciting it is when you get too close to baby and mom is not amused! Good thing the herding dog was there to draw her off some.

/ Highlander cattle #8  
Sounds like the place where we got ours at, he had a bunch of them (a few hundred maybe), just couldn't market that lean of beef. He took VERY good care of them. Some people have said they are "too cute" to put in a freezer.

/ Highlander cattle
deereguy said:
Sounds like the place where we got ours at, he had a bunch of them (a few hundred maybe), just couldn't market that lean of beef. He took VERY good care of them. Some people have said they are "too cute" to put in a freezer.

Have heard that theory, but they are not as cute when they are out for the umteenth time since they feel the grass is better on the other side of the fence. No fence will hold them then. Better is trying to separate calves out, they will travel thru at least 2 fences and a creek to get back to the 'kids'.

Anyone know of any tanners left that will do hair on tanning? I have done it but a whole cow hide is just too big for me to handle.

/ Highlander cattle #10  
There's a guy down the road that has one of those. We were sure it was a Yak!