Chain-saws

/ Chain-saws #1  

Bill Barrett

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130, Satoh G650, Case 580, Case 446
So what do you think is the best saw?
I have had 4 or 5 brands, mostly for light duty.
I picked up a Troy-Bilt, thought it would be a good one, but it is weekend warrior at best.
I'm going to need a good 20" for lots of clean-up work and firewood cutting.
What have you guys found to be the best heavy duty saw?
Thanks

/ Chain-saws #2  
Bill Barrett said:
So what do you think is the best saw?
I have had 4 or 5 brands, mostly for light duty.
I picked up a Troy-Bilt, thought it would be a good one, but it is weekend warrior at best.
I'm going to need a good 20" for lots of clean-up work and firewood cutting.
What have you guys found to be the best heavy duty saw?
Thanks

Not too long ago there was a HUGE thread on saws.. It may have been 3 or so months ago... You may try looking thru old posts for it..

Brian

/ Chain-saws #3  
Husqvarna Because it is a fast cutting saw when I was cutting oak Stihl wouldn't cut fast enough for my needs. Husqvarna runs good and service here in Maine is good.
Brian

/ Chain-saws #4  
Husqvarna, Stihl or Echo. Husqvarna and Stihl are both about equal if you stay with their top of the line saws. I think Echo is a tad behind but still a great saw.

I just won a Husqvarna 142 last night with power box, oil, gloves, goggles and ear muffs. My friend donates a Husqvarna chain saw almost every year. some times he donates smaller items if it is a slow year and I give him all my small engine business. I was happy to finally win one of his saws after trying for all these years. 4 years ago my friend won it. Last year our chapter president and good friend of mine won it and it lived in our barn for 10 months till he finally decided to retrieve it (I never used it though as it wasn't mine). So now I have my own:D I know it will be happy next to the Husqvarna hedge trimmer and the husqvarna pole saw. I have been very happy with my Husqvarna products.

However, I think the 142 would be good enough for normal use but I have been using saws more and more and would rather have a more commercial saw. So I will talk to him about upgrading the saw when I go buy a pair of chaps. After I won the saw I told him I will be there to buy the chaps. I feel I owe it to him and myself:)

/ Chain-saws #5  
I'd definately stick with a Husqvarna or Stihl if you plan on cutting more than the ocasional blow-down. Most of the good brands have full product lines startintg with el-cheapo stuff made for the big box stores right up to huge pro saws.

Pay attention to horsepower, weight and whatever features you want. Assuming that you are no dealing with lots of big diameter logs, I'd rather thave a relatively light, high HP saw with an 18" bar than a crappy low-end saw with a 20 or 20+ inch bar. Also remember that the longer the bar, the longer the chain. The longer the chain, the more power it takes to pull it around and the more sharpening you get to do :)

~paul

/ Chain-saws #6  
If you aren't going to purchase on line. Go to a shop that sells professional grade equipment to the pros in your area. You will be time & money ahead buying professional grade equipment. I stopped throwing my money away on cheap trimmers & saws years ago. I use husky & maruyama trimmers & husky saws

/ Chain-saws #7  
Diesel-ME said:
I'd definately stick with a Husqvarna or Stihl if you plan on cutting more than the ocasional blow-down. Most of the good brands have full product lines startintg with el-cheapo stuff made for the big box stores right up to huge pro saws.

Pay attention to horsepower, weight and whatever features you want. Assuming that you are no dealing with lots of big diameter logs, I'd rather thave a relatively light, high HP saw with an 18" bar than a crappy low-end saw with a 20 or 20+ inch bar. Also remember that the longer the bar, the longer the chain. The longer the chain, the more power it takes to pull it around and the more sharpening you get to do :)

~paul
Big good saws are easy. Anybody know of a good, totally reliable limbing saw with about a 12 inch sprocket tipped bar. Ones that can be run hard and put away wet but always start. My old Homelites do this but every few years I have an Oops and mash one. Engines and all are still good but case is broke. New saws seem to have longer bars and rely on those silly squeeze bulbs for priming. Those are perishable and expensive.
larry

/ Chain-saws #9  
SPYDERLK said:
Big good saws are easy. Anybody know of a good, totally reliable limbing saw with about a 12 inch sprocket tipped bar. Ones that can be run hard and put away wet but always start. My old Homelites do this but every few years I have an Oops and mash one. Engines and all are still good but case is broke. New saws seem to have longer bars and rely on those silly squeeze bulbs for priming. Those are perishable and expensive.
larry
Larry,
Be sure to look at Solo saws (among others) for what you want. I have a little 633 that just kicks butt. Rugged, well built, dependable, starts easy and cuts like the devil.

SOLO CHAINSAWS