Chickens, and things related

/ Chickens, and things related
Soundguy,
What would be wrong with the eggs if I checked only every other day? Would they get broken or be bad?

Thanks for all the other info. And keep the pics and plans for coops coming.

/ Chickens, and things related #22  
If the weather is moderate that would be OK. Too hot or too cold creates the risk of spoilage.

/ Chickens, and things related #23  
Tororider said:
Soundguy,
What would be wrong with the eggs if I checked only every other day? Would they get broken or be bad?

Thanks for all the other info. And keep the pics and plans for coops coming.
Some of your more aggressive hens will peck and break the eggs of others, especially if they are sharing nests. If one ever eats an egg, you will have to cull her because she will forever eat eggs.

/ Chickens, and things related #24  
I have a small coop with 3 RI reds and 2 Buff orps. Both varieties lay decently large brown eggs regularly. One per day in the warm season, much less in the cold and dark.

They peck you every now and then but never break the skin. Scares more than anything. I wouldn't think of debeaking.

If you aren't quick about picking up their eggs, like say once per day, then they will break them and eat them. Happens only when we're slow on pick up and not a reason to cull. Besides, none of the chickens will admit that they are the egg eater!

Daily attention at our house. No need for a rooster at all unless you like the sound and you want chicks. Might be cheaper to just buy new chicks if you need more. I don't want to worry about fertilized eggs laying around being sneakily hatched.

Biggest things is that chickens are cheap, productive, entertaining, and educational. No real downside. If you don't like them, eat them. Mine are pets and I likely would just waste the meat since my young daughters wouldn't be happy about eating their girls. 5 eggs per day from 5 chickens really adds uo to be a lot of eggs in short time.

/ Chickens, and things related #25  
It sure does add up.. it got a little cold here in fl and our chix stopped laying.. glad it did.. we got lots of chickens!

soundguy

So if I made sure the temp in the henhouse/coop was moderated by ventalating in summer, and heating in winter, kept the food and water up, and had more laying beds than would normally be expected for the amount of hens I will purchase, I may have a shot at an every other day thing. The hope is that we will eventually move out there, but not for a couple years anyway. Especially with the real estate market in Michigan.

I suppose the other option would be to trade eggs for a neighbor/neighbor kid to check the coop when I couldn't.

Is there anyone around my area that is looking to sell chickens, even Davitk. I have family in WI and could maybe make a trip over there in spring.

/ Chickens, and things related #28  
Every other day should be ok...

soundguy

/ Chickens, and things related #29  
You don't need to heat the coop in the winter, just keep a warmer in the water bucket. They need fresh and clean water available at all times. If it freezes often they will stop laying. A light on a timer to keep the days longer in winter will keep them laying.

/ Chickens, and things related #30  
Highbeam said:
No real downside.

I let my chickens roam free during the day, which means:
1. Always wear old shoes outside.
2. Don't plant anything that doesn't have a fence around it. (Also includes: don't mulch anything, no loose dirt or any kind)
3. Rooster crowing is a pleasant sound, hen squawking gets annoying real quickly. Neither compare to the ear piercing sound of guinea!

I lock mine up every night in a coop with an enclosed pen made of chicken wire. Had a coon rip a hole through the chicken wire once and kill a guinea.

I have Rhode Island Reds because they are dual purpose. Lots of eggs in the summer, fewer in the winter. I have an occasional pecked egg, they go crazy if you drop one and it breaks. I collect eggs once a day, feed Purina Layena Pellet.