Chickens, and things related

/ Chickens, and things related #1  

Tororider

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I am interested in getting some chickens at some point in the future and I have questions that I figure I can get answered by all the genuii (plural of genius?) on TBN.

Here is what I can come up with, and feel free to answer questions I don't know that I need to ask yet.

Looking for good coop/house plans, pictures, suggestions. I have seen people talking about using 5 gal buckets for laying, and would love pics.

Good types of chickens, I am thinking Buff Orpingtons bc of their good egg/meat combo. Maybe some aracuanas, as they seem to be cool looking and lay colored eggs.

How often you need to check in on them? I don't live on the property, I will be out there more this summer, but wondering if in the winter only checking on them a few times a week would work.

How long they lay for, agewise, 2-3 years?

Buying pullets seems to make the most sense as I can get eggs immediately, am I wrong?

Debeaking, does it make sense? I will be having my children help out with the chickens and I have read that buffs are docile but as long as it isn't bad for the chickens is there any downside to it?

Like I said feel free to let me know what I should know, and please post pics of coops, henhouses, debeaked chickens, chickens in general, and eggs.

Thanks, and look forward to all your help.

/ Chickens, and things related #2  
Chickens need to be put up in a coop at night to protect them from predators. I'd say if you're only going to check in on them a few times a week you won't have chickens very long. I have a large number of geese and I put them up in a pen at night, even though I keep donkeys with them when they're out. Otherwise, coyotes and other varmints will have a feast.

/ Chickens, and things related
I was planning on keeping the enclosed full time. Either in a chicken tractor or in a coop with an enclosed run attached to it. Yeah, we have a bunch of coyotes from what I have been told so I am planning on the pen being fully enclosed. This would mean that I would be using feeders and waterers.

Which brings up another question, if only checking say every other day, would waterers and feeders be fine?

Thanks

/ Chickens, and things related #5  
Do you have a way to keep the water from freezing? Putting out water and feed for a few days shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if freezing would hurt the quality of the eggs.
My Grandmother used to have a large chicken yard. She never bothered about debeaking the chickens. As long as they have enough room the roam around they probably won't bother each other, unless one of them is hurt and they WILL start pecking at a wound. They can still peck you if they're debeaked but it won't hurt too much. The main problem is if you have a rooster, they can be mean. They also have spurs!

I was only thinking of having hens, unless there is a good reason for a rooster.

The debeaking was so pecking at my kids, ok really me, wouldn't sting as much.

/ Chickens, and things related #7  
Granny used to make chicken and dumplins out of the chickens that had an attitude. If you want to get pecked, let a hen goose get ahold of you. They tend to grab hold and twist. They also have small sawteeth. It'll leave a mark.

/ Chickens, and things related #8  
Chickens need water, I can't see how you'd keep it from freezing unless you have electricity on site. Debeaking shouldn't be needed. Chickens are somewhat docile, unless you have a rooster, even then, they aren't that big a deal.

/ Chickens, and things related #9  
Buff Orpingtons and Americaunas a two of our favorites!

DSCN3903.jpg
DSCN3910.jpg
DSCN3913.jpg

We have electricity, so we could use a warmer and insulatethe house/coop.

davitk, do you find that they produce eggs year round? We are in the same climate. Do the eggs of the americaunas taste any different? Probably a dumb question, but one will never know until he asks. Thanks