Got Wood

/ Got Wood #1  

elalexander

Gold Member
Tractor
1982 Bolens/Iseki TS 1910 f (G194)
I had the day off so I got busy cutting a hickory blowdown up. We plan to use this for the front of a bar in our rec room. The bar idea will be very similar to RobS's bar in his post on his basement remodeling. The Hickory is around 14 1/2 " in diameter and I cut them just over 11' so I can get several pieces for this project. Also, I am hooking up to a wild cherry around 12" diameter. This my friend and neighbor wants to have dried to make picture frames and the likes out of.

Also, I recently bought the log tongs and boom pole to make hooking up by myself easier. It works great. I must say, as the pics show my tractor has no ROPS. I was very careful to keep the load close to the machine when I wa skidding. I did have to hook up on the end of the boom pole due to stumps, other trees etc. Once lifted I placed logs, rocks etc under the logs so I could cut them, rehook etc.

Also show some other blow downs I need to get on along with a self portrait and my machine when the day was done.

Enjoy, EL.

Last edited:
   / Got Wood #2  
Great pictures, that is one cool old machine! Those rear tires look massive. :eek::D

/ Got Wood #3  
Nice machine, is that 4x4? I had a very high double leader hickory growing right off the back of my little shop, just bought the place 5 years ago and cut down the tree about 3 years ago, the trunk sections were the size of yours but very long. I didn't even know what kind of wood it was at the time and just cut some bench length sections for around the outside fireplace. found out it is the best fire wood IMO much better than even oak, using in the inside fireplace.

/ Got Wood #4  
Nice job! Be sure and show us some pictures after you get it cut up. I hope you have some really pretty wood.

Last weekend I was using some hand tongs (actually old ice block tongs) to move some crossties. They worked great.

/ Got Wood #5  
elalexander said:
I had the day off so I got busy cutting a hickory blowdown up. We plan to use this for the front of a bar in our rec room. The bar idea will be very similar to RobS's bar in his post on his basement remodeling. The Hickory is around 14 1/2 " in diameter and I cut them just over 11' so I can get several pieces for this project. Also, I am hooking up to a wild cherry around 12" diameter. This my friend and neighbor wants to have dried to make picture frames and the likes out of.

Also, I recently bought the log tongs and boom pole to make hooking up by myself easier. It works great. I must say, as the pics show my tractor has no ROPS. I was very careful to keep the load close to the machine when I wa skidding. I did have to hook up on the end of the boom pole due to stumps, other trees etc. Once lifted I placed logs, rocks etc under the logs so I could cut them, rehook etc.

Also show some other blow downs I need to get on along with a self portrait and my machine when the day was done.

Enjoy, EL.

Great pics Eric, but where's the snow? I'm flattered that you reference my basement project, thanks. A bar in beautiful wood from your own property will be special indeed. Can't wait to see more!

/ Got Wood #6  
Very nice pictures.:D :D

Those look like nice logs. How will you mill them for lumber?

/ Got Wood #7  
Looks like a fun project. I'm really interested to see how you cut up your lumber. Do you have a mill of some kind?

Eddie

/ Got Wood #8  
Looks like a fun project. Take pictures of cutting up the logs too! By the way I like your hat!

/ Got Wood
Hey I'll be sure to post some pics when I cut these up. I love my new camera and playing with it too as you can tell:D . Anyway, Brad, one of my co-workers has not only a JD790 but a Woodmizer saw mill. I'll help him cut these up then over to the wood shop for drying and milling. Last year I skidded out several red oak logs. I traded some locust wood to a co-worker/farmer friend of mine. He needed locust for fench post. So we traded wood for his Peterson swing saw time. I didn't take any pics of that but it was very impressive.

Rob the snow left and I thought the ground would still be fairly hard but made some mud. I'm glad I got this done yesterday because this morning we woke up to an ice storm. Nasty stuff for sure. I sure like my tractor and we go back and forth on replacing it. When I get out like yesterday and use it all day I hate to think of spending money when this girl runs fine and is in great shape for an 82 model. And yea it's a 4x4.

As for the self portrait, my grandaughters liked the pics I posted of them in their playhose and ask why I don't take pictures of myself. Anyway, just for fun this canon S5 has a swing out viewer. I got playing around with it and I saw myself and thought what the heck. The camera is under warrenty still;) .

EL

/ Got Wood
Here are a few more pictures. I also included one for Mister Roy Jackson, who likes vertical exhaust and plenty of gear shifts. Manly tractors:D

Enjoy, EL.

Last edited: