EdenPURE Infra Red Heating System

/ EdenPURE Infra Red Heating System #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
I have seen this product advertised in the local paper and got a flyer for it recently. Is it as good as claimed? Actually doesn anyone here have one, and what do you think.

/ EdenPURE Infra Red Heating System #2  
smfcpacfp said:
I have seen this product advertised in the local paper and got a flyer for it recently. Is it as good as claimed? Actually doesn anyone here have one, and what do you think.

I have seen possibly the same advertisements and I don't think that it would be any more efficient than straight electrical heat. Circulation seems to be by convection so not as easy to direct. No multiplier like a heat pump.

Vernon

/ EdenPURE Infra Red Heating System #3  
We heat with a forced air- wood heat furnace and the back bedrooms are much cooler than the rest of the house. I bought the wife one of the EdenPure heaters off of Ebay that was refurbished. I think it was $330 (or around there anyway.) She swears by it and thinks it's great. Doesn't seem to raise the electric bill much either. It came with a remote and it radiates heat very well.

/ EdenPURE Infra Red Heating System #4  
I agree with Vernon. If it plugs into the wall, it won't be rated over about 1500 watts. It won't put out any more heat than a $30 heater from wallyworld. It might look pretty, tho.

/ EdenPURE Infra Red Heating System #5  
reb said:
"wallyworld"
I've been using that one forever, I did not know it was catching on.

I agree 1500 watts of electric is going to produce (x) number of btu's.
Being apparently it is an infrared heater it would have the ability to make you "feel" warmer, if you were in front of it, even though the air in the room is cooler.
They sell infrared heaters around $40-50 at "Wallyworld" and "Home' Depot".

Last edited:
   / EdenPURE Infra Red Heating System #7  
Overpriced is a relative term, my guess is they are. However, I am sure there are people who don't think they are, at least not enough to get people to stop buying them.
Kinda like those $50k-70k Pickup Trucks, I know there over priced, However, I am sure there are people who don't think they are, at least not enough to get people to stop buying them.

/ EdenPURE Infra Red Heating System #8  
smfcpacfp said:

I own one. Unfortunately it is overpriced and overated. Save yourself some money and go to Wallyworld.

/ EdenPURE Infra Red Heating System #9  
Yep, electric heat to BTU is only going to be so efficient. The IR radiant heaters get better reviews because they heat other items in the room directly thru IR radiation. Walked by one in Cosco a few days ago and could feel the radiation on my skin at least 15' away. Ultimately the items heated by this radiation, thru the increase in surface area, still heat the air in the room thru conduction. The warmed air moves the heat predominantly upward in the room, thru convection, to the ceiling where it is conducted to the attic, resisted by the "R" value of the insulation. Because of this delay though, the heat stays lower in the room longer. If your toes are warm, the rest of you will be too:) Most of the IR heaters you see in shops and wharehouse installations point at the floor. This heats the floor, which slowly warms the room from bottom to top.

Based on this heat cycle, probably the best bang for your buck in electric heat(provided you have good floor insulation) are probably going to be floor radiant heating mats. Some lay down like throw rugs on top of existing carpet or floors, and some go down in between carpet and pad. This provides a low heat across a large area low down in the room. And will have the same effect as in-floor radiant heat systems that are so well liked and efficient...

/ EdenPURE Infra Red Heating System #10  
RonMar said:
Most of the IR heaters you see in shops and wharehouse installations point at the floor. This heats the floor, which slowly warms the room from bottom to top.

The tubular heaters are not pointed towards the floor for the primary purpose of heating the floor, but that you will maximize the radiant heat from the heaters overhead. Depending on the BTU size of tubular heater, you would be surprised at the lack of "throw" of heat (perpendicular) from a radiant tubular heater (most heat comes from the gas box on the tube heater and lessens as you go down the tube). Where you save on energy is by "spot heating", not needing the complete load for heating the entire area. Heat from the floor is minimal that was heated by infared heat. The advantage to a shop application for a tube heater is when the people are staying in one spot, usually under a tube heater.

There is a difference in "throw" of heat from the floor from a tube heater vrs infloor radiant.