Teff Hay?

/ Teff Hay? #11  
Many grasses are annual. Would the Teff ,if you skipped a late cutting, not go to seed and come back the next year? That is what is recommended for for some of the pasture type grasses and clovers. Or is its life cycle such that once mowed it won't head out and seed?

/ Teff Hay? #12  
I dont know. Nothing Ive read talks about letting it self seed. The articles frame the discussion in term of best yield. I think self seeding works if the plant isnt a hybrid.

/ Teff Hay? #13  
Got a good size pack of info about Teff from Hankins Seed Co last night. Bottom line, Teff is a warm season annual which can be used like any other (Sudan grass etc). Unlike most other warm season annuals Teff is suited to both horses and cattle.

/ Teff Hay? #14  
Finally got a hold of someone at SS who knows about Teff! They currently sell the Dessie variety and will eventually carry Excaliber. I think I understood them to say when the Dessie was gone theyd only carry Excaliber....could be wrong about that though. At the moment Dessie is the only variety available and thats still in transit. My local SS dealer had no clue about Teff and I had to contact the corp office for info. In case thats your situation the SS item # for Dessie is 02142425 and Excaliber is 02142426. That info will aid your local dealer to quickly get price/availability. I also have a SS pdf blurb that gives some management guidelines. If youre interested I can email that. Its not a lot of info but does give a good summary.

Most trials (that Ive found) have been done somewhere other than the south so performance is hard to understand (if thats where youre located) but its supposed to tolerate drought well and adapted to that area. The SS corp guy mentioned VT had or was doing trials w/ Teff at Blacksburg. None of that data has been published? Im trying to find that out now.

To me Teff seems like a great deal. It establishes quickly, needs only moderate amts N to make a good crop, produces at a time of the year when nothing else does and seed is reasonably priced. The best part is it makes best use of my hay ground assuming an annual cool season grass for the first cut. I think it might be the only warm season annual thats suitable for horses and cattle. From what Ive read so far it doesnt have the bad qualities of some other warm season annuals (such as Prussic acid poisoning).

/ Teff Hay? #15  
Looks like I dont have to mess w/ SS and can get seed from my coop. So, Im going to put in a couple small test plots this yr., small hay field & pasture, and see how they do. Ill report back on the results.....

/ Teff Hay? #16  
Target Seed Target Seed, LLC | Quality Alfalfa Seed Varieties for Growers has much information on teff grass on their website. They even have a Tiffany Teff forage management guide you can download. Tiffany Teff is by far the cadillac of teff grass. It was selected specifically for forage yield and quality. Target Seed has many distributors/ dealers througout the US. They are doing many cooperative research projects with teff grass with major universities. Hay and Forage magazine has had several articles on teff grass. Target Seed supplied much of the information and pictures for the article. Good luck.

/ Teff Hay? #17  
Thanx hayseed...as for my reply to your PM...I was wrong, hadnt been to Targets site (confused it w/ another). Thanx for pointing it out! This year Im going to plant a small plot of Dessie. Its been on order w/ my coop for several weeks and due in next. If all goes well w/ my test field Im pretty sure Ill make a permanent planting the year after.

/ Teff Hay? #18  
Dear Sir;
Teff is a warm season annual. Don't plant it until ALL chance of frost is
gone. Frost will kill it!!! It is small seeded and needs a good seed to soil contact. If the soil is warm and moist, it can germinate and sprout in 5 -7 days. In about 50 days, one can take the first cutting. Leave a 3 -4 inch
stubble and in 30 days, take the second cutting. One should get 3 -4 cuttings per year. Seed at 8 -10 lbs / acre (there are 1.3 M/ seeds/ lb).
Cutting it before it heads too much can help push quality as high as 14%
protein. It is an annual and will be killed with the first frost in the fall. It tends to mellow the soil. It is NOT a crop to be "frost seeded" as the frost
WILL kill it!!!
Numerous seed folks will be handling it this spring.