county ditches

/ county ditches #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
The first thing I noticed was we are getting water from the roadway onto our property and flooding our creek. The problem is that some colverts that cross the road and take water off another property to the ditch on our side that over fills with water and comes down to our property with too much water and also is bringing gravel into our creek, which means I'm going to have to have someone clean it out every summer so it does not over fill with gravel too. We already have plenty of water from the creeks that fill the ditch on our side but with the added water from the other side it is too much and I get it all. What can be done about this. It is a new house that we live in and the builder put nice colverts in for driveway to go over but how do we deal with the county ditches.

/ county ditches #2  
mechanic said:
The first thing I noticed was we are getting water from the roadway onto our property and flooding our creek. The problem is that some colverts that cross the road and take water off another property to the ditch on our side that over fills with water and comes down to our property with too much water and also is bringing gravel into our creek, which means I'm going to have to have someone clean it out every summer so it does not over fill with gravel too. We already have plenty of water from the creeks that fill the ditch on our side but with the added water from the other side it is too much and I get it all. What can be done about this. It is a new house that we live in and the builder put nice colverts in for driveway to go over but how do we deal with the county ditches.

In Texas, I'd suggest you call your county commissioner, and if necessary, even get on the agenda to speak at the commissioners court meeting, but I don't know anything about county government in your state.

/ county ditches #3  
Call your city or county ( whichever jurisdiction you are in ) and speak to the Road dept, or whatever they call it in your area... IE.. Road maint Dept, Public works.. etc. Speak to them about it. there should be positive drainage of those ditches to a DRA/WRA or some other kind of structure meant to deal with overflow water. If that gets you a cold shoulder, find out what water district you are in and contact them about the county/city storm runnoff entering the natural waterway and see if that doesn't grease the wheels some.. that should get a state agency involved if the county/city level govt' won't act. ( at least that's how it works in florida anyway.. your state may or may not be similar )...

If you are lucky they will send someone out to look it over and then decide what the problems is ( why it is holding water ).. and what corrective action to take. It may be as simple as a ditchblock somewhere up from you.. or as intricate as re-designing / rebuilding the ditches.. installing a berm.. etc.. etc..

soundguy

/ county ditches #4  
In OK you would call the county commisioners office and if you are lucky, the stars are in the proper alignment, and its an election year they might send someone out to look at it. Getting them to actually fix it might get more difficult.;)
Seriously whoever mantains the rural roads in your area should have jurisdiction, bug them until you get somebody to check it out.

/ county ditches #5  
Got any pictures? I am just trying to visualize the situation. regardless of who is responsible, the water is going to follow gravity and mostly the local terrain to whatever outflow is provided. If something is backing up or clogging, perhaps a larger outflow is required to deal with this flow.

Be carefull what you ask for from a government agency. There is an old saying: "Give the hardest job to the laziest guy and he will find the easiest way to do it". Easiest and least expensive might be as simple as digging massive ditches and large ugly culverts, or turning your nice looking creek into a large drainage canal. They might fix it alright, but their idea of a fix might not be very astetically pleasing to you or your property...