Anybody here know anything about roosters?

/ Anybody here know anything about roosters? #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
I have a neighbor who, early this last summer, decided to raise chickens for some reason. Now, I live in a somewhat rural community and have several neighbors who have horses, chickens, and even buffalo. However, this one particular "neighbor" has one of the smallest lots around and keeps it looking like a dump. A preacher actually lives between my home and this neighbor. He has asked me twice to help him because he doesn't want to get involved because of his position. I also have received three calls from other neighbors asking if they are my roosters.

Here is the problem; the two roosters this neighbor has absolutely bellow their lungs out with the sickest excuse of a crow every eight to ten seconds...24 hours a day, seven days a week!! :mad: Besides the sickest noise (it's not any sort of "cock-a-doodle-doo") they make, they have to be the loudest roosters on earth! This has gone on for over 8 months now and there seems to be no end in sight. I've resisted killing them and even offered to buy them for $100 when they refused to do anything about the noise. I figured that they'd buy replacement roosters, but they couldn't possibly be as genetically defective as these darn things. Still, no deal!

With warmer weather coming up, it is going to create a huge problem again when anyone around here wants to open their windows or spend any time outdoors. What can be done? Will animal control take them? I know for a fact that another neighbor down the road had their dog removed because it barked constantly and the owners wouldn't do anything about it. Heck, I never even heard their dog! Any ideas?

/ Anybody here know anything about roosters? #2  
I wonder if there is language covering this in the town or county noise ordinance? Might be worth a phone call.

I never could figure why anybody would keep a rooster if he had laying hens, unless I suppose you want to raise replacements. They are just another mouth to feed.

/ Anybody here know anything about roosters? #3  
I don't know your laws there but people can use deadly force right back at you down here if you harm their livestock so I'd stop thinking about that one. Especially if they are staying on the owners own property.

About the only suggestion I have is to ask your local sheriff or constable go over and talk to them and ask that they not mention your name. That's usually the easiest thing to do. And the safest.

Other than that it's just part of living in the country. Is it actual chicken type roosters or guinea roosters he has? I hate guineas myself. They screech all day long. We had ours for dinner last year when I got tired of it.
The chicken roosters never bothered me a bit though.

/ Anybody here know anything about roosters?
WTA said:
I don't know your laws there but people can use deadly force right back at you down here if you harm their livestock so I'd stop thinking about that one.

Oh, you have that one correct. I said that tongue-in-cheek; more of what I'd want to do, but never would. That is why I offered to buy them. I'd never kill anyone else's animal unless it was on my property actually being aggressive towards me or my family. As much as I'd fuss and carry on, I'd never go kill them. But, you are correct in your statement. Some people think that just killing a rooster would be no big deal.

/ Anybody here know anything about roosters? #6  
I mentioned some people who disliked hearing a rooster crow in this thread. Roosters never made a noise that bothered me, maybe because I grew up with chickens in the country, but here in the city, it obviously bothered someone else and we do have an ordinance that prohibits crowing roosters and barking dogs if someone complains.

But out in the country? I don't know of anything you can do. And I'd sure like to hear that guy's roosters since I've never heard anything unusual from one.

/ Anybody here know anything about roosters? #7  
I'd take up using my 12 gage at all hours of the night. If the roosters can make all that noise during the day you should be able to blast away all night.

/ Anybody here know anything about roosters? #8  
We've got two and we only hear them in the morning. They may crow for awhile but, never all day. Ours are also with hens so, maybe they're busy.:rolleyes:

/ Anybody here know anything about roosters?
Bird said:
And I'd sure like to hear that guy's roosters since I've never heard anything unusual from one.

I have to laugh because I had a bunch of Amish guys build my new barn a couple of months ago and even they commented that "those sick roosters are driving us nuts!", and they raise hundreds of chickens and roosters.

Having lived in the country most of my life I've heard roosters in the early morning hours for decades. When I've even noticed them, I kind of thought it was a pleasant sound. These foul (pun intended) birds are not only extremely loud, but they make the sickest two toned warbling screech I've ever heard 24/7. It's pretty bad when several other people in this rural area have complained as well, especially when one of them has chickens!

I guess I'll have to call our local animal control if it doesn't get any better as the weather warms and people begin to try to open windows or spend any time outdoors. If they took a dog away down the road because it barked all the time, I'd think they would do something with these defective roosters when several families call and complain.

/ Anybody here know anything about roosters? #10  
shvl73 said:
We've got two and we only hear them in the morning. They may crow for awhile but, never all day. Ours are also with hens so, maybe they're busy.:rolleyes:

Maybe some hens need to be covertly mingled with the roosters. :eek:

Don