Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #31  
jinman said:
Dang! That's a hybrid!:cool:

Great thought, Now I should get a tax credit, and be able to drive in the HOV lane. :p

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #32  
Where I worked a few years ago, we had about 40 electric carts (EZGO), they were totally abused and kept right on going. They last several days on a full charge. A friend has a gas EZGO and it is nice too, not too noisy and very easy on fuel. His has been around for over 20 years that I have known him and every kids in the country has ran that cart. It got weak on him and I believe it cost him $1500 to rebuild that little 7 hp engine. Both are good but my vote is for the electric.

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #33  
$1500 would be way too much for me to spend on a rebuild but, after 20+ years, not bad service. We have a couple of golf cart dealers locally and I think you could get another used cart for that kind of money.

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #34  
My old '94 electric still putts along pretty good but if I wanted to spend about $1100, I could put almost all new high performance heavy duty electric motor, controller, wires, and more on it. I know $1100 sounds like a lot(and it is) and so I wouldn't buy the kit if I had any plans to sell it, it would be something to "enjoy" over a good many years. It suppossedly will pick up speed and torque from about 12mph to maybe 18mph. It doesn't sound fast but its plenty for a golf cart. Don't buy one of these to go fast. Buy it because you need something quick and easy to get into and out of many times an hour. The gas is good if you're hauling it to deer camp for a week and there's no electricity but I can't stress how nice it is to jump in and go without having to start an engine and then put it in gear (like a gator or something). BTW, if you have a hilly piece of land, I'd probably recommend the gas if your slopes are long and steep..

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #35  
I have an electric that I use almost every day on our 120 acres.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/atvs-utility-vehicles/23583d1085624767-vote-fun-buggy-ii-stay-433736-clubcar.jpg
After all the noise of my gas engines it is a delight to travel in quietness and no exhaust. I was surprised of the power and can go up down my pond dams without any problem. I also think I see more wildlife when I traveling the trails silently. If the batteries are very low it takes overnight to charge and then it is good for another 12 hours (half a week for me). I have never had to push it, I installed a gage to tell the battery charge left. This Club car has an aluminum frame - very important with all the batteries.
I just like the idea of a motor that does not have to start.

Nice rig! I have a Club Car Precedent used. Where did you get that front cage? I would like to put one on as well...

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #36  
Looks like the batteries on my used 2006 Precedent electric are going bad. They are probably the original batteries.
The charger won't even charge any more. Reading of the the four batteries indicates a low surface charge (10-11 for all). Based on what I have read off this forum I guess I don't much choice other than start replacing them about $200 a pop out of Sam's club. Anyone with any recommendations?

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #37  
Looks like the batteries on my used 2006 Precedent electric are going bad...I guess I don't much choice other than start replacing them about $200 a pop out of Sam's club. Anyone with any recommendations?

I got a pair of 6V golf cart batteries for the house batteries on my toy hauler for about the same price about 2 years ago. I have had much better results with honoring warranties from O'Reilly than from WalMart. Don't know about Sam's Club, but I suspect it would be closer to WalMart.

Essentially O'Reilly ties the record of my purchase to my phone number and does not require that I keep the receipt. They keep all that in their database, and they are honest about it. Saved me $60 once when I went to get a new car battery for one that had died. I didn't even know I had warranty left on the old one.

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #38  
Nice rig! I have a Club Car Precedent used. Where did you get that front cage? I would like to put one on as well...

Wow, a 6 year old thread revived!

Sandbag3, I bought the Club car like that so I don't know where the previous owner got the front grill.

I have had the Club Car for 14 years now. I'm on my third set of batteries and they are just starting to show signs of weakness. I have bought 2 sets of Trojans and one other set. Even though the Trojans are more expensive they last longer. Looks like I will also be looking for a battery set (6-12V) replacements.