Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #1  

Dennisfly

Gold Member
Lake Anna, Virginia and Alleghany County, VA
Tractor
John Deere 4410
I've been considering buying a used gold cart to run back and forth on my 3.5 acres and around the neighborhood (1 to 3 miles). The wife would use it as much or more than I. No big hills. It would be used on grass, gravel, and pavement and I have 110 charging power readily available.

The electric would be easy for the wife to use and have adequate range, but new batteries would be over $500 and probably required every 3 years or so.

Gas seems like there would be more to go wrong but more power, speed, and maybe less expensive in the long run.

Any thoughts on the various brands?

Any other considerations/thoughts. I've never owned a golf cart before so would be interested in the thoughts of those that have.

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #2  
Dennis, I'm a little surprised that you did not post this in the ATVs & Utility Vehicles forum; however, you will probably not suffer from a lack of responses here either.

I think you need to sit down and make a list of what is important to you in a utility vehicle. Then prioritize those needs from first to last. When you are finished, look at which type of vehicle is best for you. When buying used, sometimes you just have to settle for what you can find, but if you buy new, the choices (and prices) are endless.

Certainly for just transportation over well kept trails or smooth land, an electric cart is nice. They are quiet and easy to operate. The one major drawback I see with them is if they run out of charge when you are far away from electricity. You can't carry a couple of gallons of gas to them and get them going. You have to tow them in or haul a generator to them to charge up the batteries. You may be very careful, but if you put a group of teenagers on the cart and let them go, they are far more likely to run the batteries down because they are just not as responsible as an adult. We have friends who have an electric cart and it worked great for them, but I saw their kids pushing that cart back to the house several times because they were having fun and just didn't notice the "juice" was running low.

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #3  
I vote Electric. My EZ GO electric cart is virtually trouble-free and very dependable. You just hop in and go, no starting or warming up. My batteries last about 5 years and then it is about $300 for replacements from Sam's. It charges overnight (though I usually only charge it twice a week) and I use it for hours around the farm every day.

I use it to put out the garbage, get the mail, turn out the horses, round up the horses, haul water, repair fence lines, pull trees to the burn pile, gather fruit and nuts, visit the neighbors, push a stuck car out the mud (I have mud tires on my cart), haul tools to the work area, carry fence panels, sheet metal, plywood etc on the roof, move my trailers from spot to spot, give my grandson his daily ride (which he would rather do than eat ice cream), sneak up on and photograph wildlife, go back and forth to the barn, pull vines out of trees, spray herbicides and insecticides, race with my neighbor, and too many other uses to name.

Yes, I have a Honda 4-wheeler too, but the cart is so easy to use and get in and out of that I rarely use my 4-wheeler anymore. Did I mention that it's quieter and more pollution free? And mine is an old metal one that is about rusted out. I intend to get a newer fiberglass EZ Go electric cart before long.

Unfortunately, the resale prices have been going up steadily as people discover their wonderful uses around farm or ranch.

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #4  
We have friends who have an electric cart and it worked great for them, but I saw their kids pushing that cart back to the house several times because they were having fun and just didn't notice the "juice" was running low.

As long as it is the kids doing the pushing, I don't see a problem. They may remember next time, and exercise is good for them...

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #5  
In my opinion, its a no brainer, gas! You will likely never have to do anything to it except, put gas in it once a year. They are quiet, dependable, and very easy to operate. No problems with remembering to charge it, no need to park by an electric outlet, no loss of range as one or more battery starts to go. Electric is perhaps a better choice if you want to use it indoors, or have to have an almost silent vehicle.
The gassers are more popular for a reason, for most people, they are better. Thats why they make more gas carts, and the electric ones are usually cheaper to buy.

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #6  
I used an older gas Yamaha w/ utiliy body at work for a few years. It was pretty quiet and real reliable. You can tweek it a bit and it will go faster. It used very little gas and was an oil injected two stroke.

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #7  
I have a Club Car gas one. I have never put a wrench on it. I put gas in about once every two months or so. It has a Kawaski engine. I can/somtimes drive it 5 or 6 miles at at time. I vote gas. The gas ones drive/operate exactly like the electric ones.
horncart.jpg

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #8  
Dennisfly said:
I've been considering buying a used gold cart to run back and forth on my 3.5 acres and around the neighborhood (1 to 3 miles). The wife would use it as much or more than I. No big hills. It would be used on grass, gravel, and pavement and I have 110 charging power readily available.

The electric would be easy for the wife to use and have adequate range, but new batteries would be over $500 and probably required every 3 years or so.

Gas seems like there would be more to go wrong but more power, speed, and maybe less expensive in the long run.

Any thoughts on the various brands?

Any other considerations/thoughts. I've never owned a golf cart before so would be interested in the thoughts of those that have.
You have an ideal situation for an electric cart. The 36V ones from Ez-Go are supposed to be most reliable. I bought mine 3yrs ago used and its still doing fine. The batts will last much longer than 3yrs if you charge them each night where there was significant use. Its a smart charger so it justs tops them off. Do check fluid level more often. A simple Vmeter on batts will give you enuf warning that you need to get home before being stranded.
Extreme convenience - you dont even have to turn off the "ignition". You can hear whats going on around you. Total low guilt use. About $0.10 power per Avg full use day.
larry

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #9  
very interesting topic, i have been thinking about getting one myself, used and i would never go very far or use it very often, usuall thake the GT but would prfere something quite, don't most of them come with small wheels tho? and what is approx cost of a used one in decnt condition.

/ Golf Cart, Gas vs Electric #10  
Unless you are going to take it somewhere you should really should not be going the small wheels do not hurt anything. These things are made for golf courses they are very quiet. Prices very by area. There must be ten of them in Tombstone with license plates that people drive around town. Used right off of the golf course less than a $1000.