How to keep dog from eating too much

/ How to keep dog from eating too much #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Ya ya ya... I know... don't feed her as much :eek:

Here's the deal...

At one time, we had two dogs. I could ALWAYS make sure their bowl was 100% full and they'd eat some & walk past the bowl later on without thinking twice about it. They had no urge to gorge themselves (gorge might be using too strong of word, but they would only eat when hungry)

Later, we added two more dogs... one of them is like my first two in that she eats very ... intermittently?

Then there is Hattie (insert snorting sounds that pigs make :D )

It really seems like she can't do anything without "munching" all day. No matter what she's doing, she's got to go by the food bowl and pick up a bite or two. Vet says she's ok on her weight but he doesn't really want her to gain any more. She's already a little fireplug as it is.

It might be worth noting that Hattie was found in a gas station parking lot. When found, the folks inside said that she (and the others we brought home) were there for about a week and were fed from time to time, their 'throw away' hotdogs that didn't get sold.

In the beginning I thought that Hattie was just trying to over-eat to compensate for the scavenging she must have had to do from time to time.

I'm hoping to put into her head that she doesn't need to worry about that anymore yet... it's not getting through.

We've been trying to feed them seperate but it's just not that easy since next door happens to have an outdoor automatic feeder... when she's out, she knows she can just go over there & get some snacks...

With 7 dogs running around and only one seeming to be the the food-a-holic, I'm hoping I can fix her instead of 'punishing' the others (by not having their food ready when they want it)

Am I still approaching this wrong? Any thoughts?

/ How to keep dog from eating too much #2  
Good luck. We had one dog that was self regulating. Then we inherited my mom's dog when she passed away. Pooky was a pig, as in a 90+ pound border collie with a bad leg that could not climb up the three steps into our house. She would eat the other dog's food first, then hers. Se, we had to feed them seperately and when it was gone it was gone until the next feeding time. Little self regulator dog didn't mind and adjusted to two a day feedings well. Porky pooky, on the other hand, was very depressed and resorted to garbage can raiding for a while. But we dropped her 45 pounds over several months, she regained use of her bad leg and was able to take the stairs. And she lived for three more years to the age of 14. :)

/ How to keep dog from eating too much #3  
Dogs quickly develop routines. If she can get food next door, she will. You need to halt that practice by putting her on a run when outside, putting up a fence, or talking with your neighbor about controlling the access to that food(food accessable by other creatures is a bad idea anyway).

Separate timed feedings for your dogs is about your only option. I know it is a pain, but if she is a chow hound, she needs her access to food limited and controlled. Scheduled feeding times won't be punishing the others, as they are not eating it all at a single setting anyway. They will quickly adapt to the feed times, and perhaps trim down a bit also. Dogs that have food always available tend to gain weight. My lab is this way, and we now feed her twice a day. She is our second alarm clock, as when the alarm goes off, she knows it is time for breakfast and she makes sure we get up to feed her:). She also tells us when it is around 5PM pretty reliably as that is her second feeding time. As I am sure your vet has told you, a lean dog is healthier, typically has fewer joint problems and typically lives longer.

Good luck

/ How to keep dog from eating too much #4  
RonMar said:
Dogs quickly develop routines.

Separate timed feedings for your dogs is about your only option.

that's what we have always done with our dogs. It works out well. They get breakfast and dinner.

My parents though.... They freefeed. They lost a lab to diabeties from overweight. They got a new dog, another lab. I threatened them... I'll take thier dog if it gets overweight...

/ How to keep dog from eating too much #5  
Yep.. we feed our dogs at specific times as well.. seems to work good.

soundguy

/ How to keep dog from eating too much #6  
Our dogs eat once a day in the evening. My Chow mix, "Rusty" likes to nibble all da. The other two we got after him eat all at once. Rusty has also adapted to this all or nothing routine very quickly. The first couple of times his bowl was simonized by the other dogs he figured it out. He is now in the eat all at once camp.:)

John

/ How to keep dog from eating too much #7  
We had a kennel full of Boxers for many years. Our routine which, may not work for other folks, was to feed once a day in each dog's crate or run. Each dog's ration was weighed and figured on what that dog needed to maintain a healthy weight. Admittedly those dogs that were being shown were maintained a few pounds more for smoother appearance in the ring and to give them the stamina for the show stress.

Vernon

/ How to keep dog from eating too much
Thanks for the thoughts... I guess I'm screwed...

Part of the irony is, we have another dog (also abandoned by someone) who's supposedly an American Eskimo. She (Chloe) is a little nuclear furnace of energy and according to the wife, too skinny. (according to the Vet, she's fine, just very athletic & lean)

Anyways, the wife is trying to beef up Chloe and Fanny (yet another abandoned dog) while at the same time, lean down Hattie...

/ How to keep dog from eating too much #9  
I work a dog for a living. I believe your best option is to feed once or twice a day. I feed mine once a day at night so he's not running around on a full stomach, which can be fatal. However, my wife feeds our personal dog twice a day for some reason. I guess she thinks he's part human.

One thing to consider is that dogs are pack animals and the alpha dog will eat first so you might have to feed the chow hound on his own but they really don't need to eat all day long or have food available for whenever they want. Thats how dogs get fat.

Its just my .02 but my dogs are lean and healthy and eat separate.

Good luck,

Craig

/ How to keep dog from eating too much #10  
I work a dog for a living. I believe your best option is to feed once or twice a day. I feed mine once a day at night so he's not running around on a full stomach, which can be fatal. However, my wife feeds our personal dog twice a day for some reason. I guess she thinks he's part human.

One thing to consider is that dogs are pack animals and the alpha dog will eat first so you might have to feed the chow hound on his own but they really don't need to eat all day long or have food available for whenever they want. Thats how dogs get fat.

Its just my .02 but my dogs are lean and healthy and eat separate.

Good luck,

Craig