Hard Water

/ Hard Water #1  

LMTC

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar
Our water is hard....hard enough that we don't dare use it in the tractors, but rather buy distilled water for radiator use. We did not install a softener when we built 22 years ago, and now intend to address the issue. I am finding magnetic and electronic softeners, as well as the traditional softeners. Downside to the latter is space and adding more salt to the water. I've found a fair amount of info that seems like pseudo-documentation that the magnetic technology, now over a decade old, doesn't work very well.

I have found less info on the newer electronic technology. One company selling the electronic softeners (for $800-$1200 :() offers an unconditional 6 month full-money-back return policy, as well as a 3 year warranty. Seems pretty safe....you test the water prior to installation, then test as much as you want for 6 months. If it works, it works. If not, money back. Do any of you have any first hand experience with electronic water softeners, or know anyone who has one? As always, thanks for all input; we learn from each other. As Proverbs tells us, as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

/ Hard Water #2  
LMTC said:
Our water is hard....hard enough that we don't dare use it in the tractors, but rather buy distilled water for radiator use. We did not install a softener when we built 22 years ago, and now intend to address the issue. I am finding magnetic and electronic softeners, as well as the traditional softeners. Downside to the latter is space and adding more salt to the water. I've found a fair amount of info that seems like pseudo-documentation that the magnetic technology, now over a decade old, doesn't work very well.

I have found less info on the newer electronic technology. One company selling the electronic softeners (for $800-$1200 :() offers an unconditional 6 month full-money-back return policy, as well as a 3 year warranty. Seems pretty safe....you test the water prior to installation, then test as much as you want for 6 months. If it works, it works. If not, money back. Do any of you have any first hand experience with electronic water softeners, or know anyone who has one? As always, thanks for all input; we learn from each other. As Proverbs tells us, as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

All I know is the salt softener I have in my house has taken water at around 85 grains hard and made it soft enough to get suds in the shower and wash. When the system is low on salt I can tell pretty quick.

Unless you drank lots and lots of water out of the tap and had a heart condition, the salt levels in the water are harmless. I would direct you towards a salt driven system because they work.

/ Hard Water #3  
ByronBob said:
Unless you drank lots and lots of water out of the tap and had a heart condition, the salt levels in the water are harmless. I would direct you towards a salt driven system because they work.

You can buy potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride for the softener and it is actually beneficial to your health :)

/ Hard Water #4  
I had a softener installed when I built my place in 95'. Don't think it ever really worked right. I even had the Fleck head rebuilt. Towards the end of last year the heating element in the 1+ year old dish washer exploded. I spent several hours digging the build up out of the inside of it before I replaced the element and decided not to use it until I had a solution to the hard water. Did some research to see what others were getting good results with but I didn't get a warm fuzzy with the alternatives. Ended up buying a Kinetico system. It is expensive but it sure works and without much salt consumption. Since the install a couple of months ago the inside of the dishwasher almost looks like new again.

dsb

/ Hard Water #5  
Had a water softener yrs ago when we lived in the city, was one of the traditional salt softeners. It did a good job but also put a large amount of brine down the drain. If you are on a septic system, I'd question the wisdom of putting salt down the drain for years on end.

Don't know anything about the newer systems but would question how a magnet is going to remove minerals from the water. Maybe OK for iron but minerals????

/ Hard Water
Mickey_Fx said:
Had a water softener yrs ago when we lived in the city, was one of the traditional salt softeners. It did a good job but also put a large amount of brine down the drain. If you are on a septic system, I'd question the wisdom of putting salt down the drain for years on end.

Don't know anything about the newer systems but would question how a magnet is going to remove minerals from the water. Maybe OK for iron but minerals????
As I read the technology (and let me state here that I am not a scientist even thought I play one on TV;)) the electronic technology does not remove anything....it somehow causes the chemicals to lose their electrostatic charge, so they do not bond to the hard surfaces, thus remaining dissolved in the water and not forming scale. I am just thinking that a 3 month <<full no questions asked refund of your purchase price>> money back guarantee "almost" guarantees it will work. If the test strips show the water hardness to remain the same or not go down sufficiently, I'd take it back. I said 6 months in my first post, but was mistaken....it is 90 days no questions asked, and a 3 year repair or replace warranty if defective for the Easy Water. Also looked at one called ClearWave.

/ Hard Water #7  
We installed the magnetic "softeners" a year or two ago. I doubted they'd work and would've been ready to send 'em back within the 90 days. Not only did I immediately notice the difference but when MY wife notices the difference, it's true. I got them in order to cross them off the "potential solution list" and go to the next idea.... but stopped there. Next try for me was the potassium chloride units but was reluctant because we are 'off-grid', however I was mentally preparing for the installation.

These don't remove the minerals but, as you describe the electronic ones, just make the water "feel" like it's soft. The residue in the shower has been reduced by 90% or better. We have never used a dishwasher because of the hard water residue, and always had to hand dry the dishes or they'd spot bad. Now we just let them air dry and they always look spotless and like new.

I'd guess the electronic ones and the magnetic ones do the same job, just one requires wiring and electricity.

We have bottled water delivered for drinking and cooking. I've always made my ice from bottled because hard water leaves a cloudy scum in the bottom of drinks. I just finished installing a new fridge with an icemaker and installed a little pump arrangement so that the icemaker uses bottled water too. Works great!

Phil

/ Hard Water #8  
From what I have found & read . It cost alot of $ to filter the water for entire house . Google water softners & you can find alot of info on the subject. I would suggest to have a water test done B-4 you purchase a filter to determine which filter is best for your situation

/ Hard Water #9  
[QUOTE][magnetic and electronic softeners,/QUOTE]

Ahh - have I got a deal for you!!:D :D :D

/ Hard Water #10  
LMTC, what do other people in the area have? I'd talk to the neighbors and I'd also see what the culligan man says - They'll do a test and will make a recommendation - You don't have to make a purchase, but I'd see what they have to say - We owned a house one time that had Sulpher water - The Culligan people fixed us right up.