Nice (rural living) story

/ Nice (rural living) story #1  

ejb

Platinum Member
Hi guys,

Just got back from dinner at the local restaurant...kind of an in between a pizza place and a family restaurant. Fairly inexpensive, OK food, clean friendly etc.

Anyway, we (me, wife and 3 small kids) were walking to our seats and we walked by an older lady eating by herself and most of us said "hi" to be friendly. As usual, when you are out with three small kids older ladies (and sometimes men) always seem to want to say hi to the kids and say something nice about them...which she did.

Didn't give it another thought until we asked for the check and the waitress told us that that "nice lady" that was sitting up there when we came in told her that we seemed like a nice family and paid for our meal. (she had since left)

Pleasant suprise...reminds me not to become too cynical of my fellow citizens.

Just thought I would share this. I'll remember to pay the suprise to someone else someday.

/ Nice (rural living) story #2  
Good story,I kinda had the same thing happen to me,Went to the local pub for lunch and saw the owner of the local timber mart,Mention to him that i just bought a bunch of lumber ect.
Went to leave and found that he paid my tab.(got to like small towns)/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Nice (rural living) story #3  
ejb

Wow what a storey. That sort of thing hasn't happened to anyone I know over here.

I assume that wasn't in the Bahamas either /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Nice to see there are still some nice people left in the world. All we seem to hear about are the bad people.

Cheers

/ Nice (rural living) story
No, it wasn't the Bahamas, but you know what? I would have been LESS suprised if it had happened there, than here.

By and large the average person I have met in the Bahamas are much nicer than the average person I meet around here...by a long shot.

/ Nice (rural living) story #5  
If the woman paid your check before you were even through eating, how would she have know how much to pay ?
This might lead me to believe that she is a regular in this resteraunt and that the management might know who she is.
Maybe she has an open account or they will bill her later etc.
Anyway, if they do know her, maybe some sweet talking will get you her name and address and you could return th kindness somwhow. Maybe a nice big handmade card from the kids.
Anyway, Thanks for the story, it rather warms ones heart.
It sure is nice to know that there is some unselfish kindness left in this sometimes cruel world.

/ Nice (rural living) story
>>If the woman paid your check before you were even through eating, how would she have know how much to pay ?

I had the same thought, being a small town my guess is she was known to the management sonehow, or else left a credit card number.

I thought about asking the owner about her name to thank her but decided since she made her "gift" anonymously, she probably wanted it that way. My guess would be this is not the first time she has done this type of thing...only a guess.

/ Nice (rural living) story #7  
Thats a great story. Regarding the repayment, I agree she would probably prefer to remain anonymous. My father always says, the only obligation you have when someone does good for you (other than the obvious thank you) is to be sure and pass it on to someone else who needs it when you see it. I believe, in this way, we can all be someone's "angel", since we won't be expecting anything in return, we've aready received it before we did our deed! Its like that movie about a year or so ago, with Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt and the kid (whose name I can't remember) who asked everyone , oh yeah I remeber now - Pay it Forward (rather than paying it back). A real heartwarmer, and something for all of us to strive for.

/ Nice (rural living) story #8  
Hello friends,

Having grown up in a rural county in the south (where it takes my father thirty minutes just to get out of the post office due to saying hello and chatting with everyone he runs into), I moved to a large northern city for several years to work. It seems that as a young fella, I could not wait to move to a big city...and I did. As the years went by, I found that city life brought the country out in me, and I longed to once again live in a place where you know your neighbor. I NEEDED to know my neighbor, I NEEDED to be able to lend a hand to someone in need, and I NEEDED to be able to say hello to a stranger without provoking fear of my motives! So I loaded up the truck and headed back to the hills of Tennessee! The quality of life is impossible to beat. No longer do I worry about graffiti on my vehicles, or getting mugged in my back yard, or living next to someone for five years and only knowing their name because their mail was put in my door by accident!
There are good people everywhere, but the nature of rural communities is based on just that....community, and it has to be preserved. Preservation of the quality of life is a responsibility for all...natives and transplants...especially transplants! Notice all the little things...the nods, waves and howdys.....and do the same. Become involved in the community.....help a neighbor till a garden, open a door for an elderly person, don't litter. It's the little things that sew a community together....and it takes everyone to maintain it. Be real with one another, be involved...and be nice, and YOUR children will be able to grow up in and enjoy the same!

HILLBILLYMAN

/ Nice (rural living) story #10  
<font color=blue>...we can all be someone's "angel"...</font color=blue>

This is what makes our world go around...

Amen... Paul... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif