Noritz Tankless Water Heaters

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #51  
Did you increase the main gas feed ( line)from the propane tank to the house ?? If you install a second w.h. like this one or, if you have furnace or w.h. problems when both are on . You may have to enlarge the main line from propane tank to the house.Did you do the install ? Looks like a good job. I can't tell from the picture but, it looks like you didn't install the flush valve kit. If you didn't you may want to add this option & flush the unit as per instructions/ water conditions

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #52  
I had a Bosch tankless for 3 years- Went tankless for space considerations; old house no basement- Until it froze in arctic cold last winter. Got to be careful how you install the venting up north here. I now have a Noritz 075m and love it, 10 times better than the old one. Keep in mind that the most efficient way to use one is to set it at your favorite shower temperature and use only the hot water tap. This keeps the operating temp lower, saves gas, reduces scale build up, and no fiddling with the faucet to get the right temp! I set mine at 100 to 105 depending on how hot a shower I want. And if I want to steam the carpets good I can crank her up to 180 if I want. To further reduce your gas bill train yourself and family to wash your hands with cold water. In any type of water heater it is wasteful to run hot water to the tap to wash your hand only to let it cool again in the pipes. Tankless saves but it saves most with economical habits.
This unit will supply water to up to 4 showers at once! I'll never use the full capacity of this unit but nice to know it's there if someday I do get a whirlpool or something.

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters
kenmac, I did install the flush valve kit. Its the blue and red handles on the bottom of the unit. The temp is currently set at 110c. My lower as summer comes on. Digital thermostat is great. Makes adjusting temp very easy.

The one in the picture (first one installed) is a model 075. I tested right after installed by turning on both HVAC units and then turning on hot water. No issues and flame on HVAC was normal.

The second unit is a smaller unit, a model 053. It only supply one shower and the kitchen. The 50 gal hot water heater that is currently there is way over sized. I will perform the same test when its installed. I will also have my propane supplier come out and perform and pressure test on my system and make any adjustments.

Not to worred about the supply for the tank from tank to house as its 3/4" already.

My big issue currently is there is no opening large enough to get the old heater out. It was install during the house construction and they did not thick that far ahead. My plan now is to split the tank with sawsall. Does anyone have any other ideas.

James

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #54  
Good thing is the Texas Railroad Commision is offering an $800 rebate for the upgrade. This will take a little sticker shock out of the install.

Did anyone have to up the propane supply pressure to the house to keep from having starvation when the water heater and the furnance is operating at the same time?

James[/QUOTE]

$800 rebate? I'd like to know a little more about that. I live in Texas too, and I'm considering replacing my tank type water heater with a tankless.

My house is totally electric. It was taken off propane by the previous owners before I bought it 10 years ago. The old rusty gas lines are still under the house. Along with the old floor furnace from when they switched to a central system. I've got a water well with hard water, and no city water out where I live yet. Using a softener that eats lots of salt.

Looking at two ways to do it.
1.) A single tankless heater that requires 120 amps via 3-40amp 220V circuits which requires 6-#8 conductors and a groundor
2.) Three smaller units i.e. 1=bathroom, 1=kitchen, 1=washroom. I don't think I can depend on my 16 year old daughter "not" to start a load of laundry while I'm in the shower.... I can envision the battle....
Either way will fill up my breaker box completely.
Anybody tried multiple units? Any opinions?

I'm see-sawing with the idea of getting another propane tank, and switching items,eventually 1 by 1, back to propane as they require replacement. I like cooking on a gas stove much better. Always have. I can do most of the work myself. Some I'll have to sub out to licensed pros.

I'm not real happy with the electric company anyway. I always seem to get a canned answer from somebody in Bangladesh, or wherever they are. But, that's another soap box I stand up on from tiime to time.

Propane / electric? Electric / propane? Anybody have an opinion either way?

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #55  
I don't think I can depend on my 16 year old daughter "not" to start a load of laundry while I'm in the shower.... I can envision the battle....

I think that many other members here could only WISH their teenageer would actually DO wash!

Phil

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #56  
$800 rebate? I'd like to know a little more about that. I live in Texas too, and I'm considering replacing my tank type water heater with a tankless.

My house is totally electric. It was taken off propane by the previous owners before I bought it 10 years ago. The old rusty gas lines are still under the house. Along with the old floor furnace from when they switched to a central system. I've got a water well with hard water, and no city water out where I live yet. Using a softener that eats lots of salt.

Looking at two ways to do it.
1.) A single tankless heater that requires 120 amps via 3-40amp 220V circuits which requires 6-#8 conductors and a groundor
2.) Three smaller units i.e. 1=bathroom, 1=kitchen, 1=washroom. I don't think I can depend on my 16 year old daughter "not" to start a load of laundry while I'm in the shower.... I can envision the battle....
Either way will fill up my breaker box completely.
Anybody tried multiple units? Any opinions?

I'm see-sawing with the idea of getting another propane tank, and switching items,eventually 1 by 1, back to propane as they require replacement. I like cooking on a gas stove much better. Always have. I can do most of the work myself. Some I'll have to sub out to licensed pros.

I'm not real happy with the electric company anyway. I always seem to get a canned answer from somebody in Bangladesh, or wherever they are. But, that's another soap box I stand up on from tiime to time.

Propane / electric? Electric / propane? Anybody have an opinion either way?

I did the exact same thing several years ago. My electric water heater went and I bought a rinnai tankless water heater, and had a new propane tank and line installed. I found that I was using under 10 gallons of propane a month with just the water heater. I really like it, and can run 2 appliances at the same time with it. Now there is a noticeable drop in temp and I have to play with it when I'm taking a shower and someone else starts using the hot water, but it's not to bad. I just converted to gas cooktop and gas dryer over the summer and love every bit of it.

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #58  
We installed a tankless last year I like it. When we add water to the hot tub it goes in hot thats nice. For the dishwasher, my wife has to run the hot water in the sink until it gets hot she doesn't like that. The water comes out of the well very cold. I'll figure something out.

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #59  
We installed a tankless last year I like it. When we add water to the hot tub it goes in hot thats nice. For the dishwasher, my wife has to run the hot water in the sink until it gets hot she doesn't like that. The water comes out of the well very cold. I'll figure something out.

Just wondering what your wife did before with your other hot water system? We had our hot water coming off from the furnace (boiler) and I switched to On Demand Hot Water using propane because I couldn't stand sitting in the living room and hearing the furnace come on to keep the boiler temperature hot enough to maintain hot water.

Even then my wife would have to run the hot water in the sink until the cold / cool water was out of the feed pipe. Same is happening with the ODHW system and there might be a few more seconds of delay time until the hot water gets to the sink, but not too much more than that.

If one wanted to they could add a small 2.5 gallon electric hot water heater right at the kitchen sink and when you turned on the hot water it would be a very short path and almost instant hot water.

In my system I added a 4 gallon electric hot water heater to prevent any bounce in the water temperature when taking showers. This is located right at the main ODHW and then goes out to the house plumbing.

Cost wise I know we are saving money with the ODHW system over heating water with the furnace. When heating oil was above $3.00 a gallon I estimated that we were spending at least $40.00 a month for hot water alone. It is just nice to know we are only heating the water when we are using it and I do not have to worry about large hot water tanks leaking.

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #60  
I'd like to ask about what happens when a tankless water heater fails.

When a storage water heater fails, the stored water will leak, but water pressure in the plumbing system is resupplying the leak, too. Other than a huge tank rupture that dumps nearly all of the tank contents at once, wouldn't a tankless water heater also leak when it fails?

Do you install a catch pan with a tankless heater? Or do the tankless water heaters just quit heating and you don't typically see water leaks when they fail?