Noritz Tankless Water Heaters

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #1  

MF1455v

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1455v
I woak up Friday night about midnight to the sound of running water. My 50 gal propane water heater had sprung a leak. Luckly all contained in drip pan. I had already been plaining on replacing it with a tankless but was hoping do so when I was ready and done some more research. Had to go shopping on Saturday. I found a local Austin Plumbing supply house stocks Noritz and gave me a lot of information. The model I'm looking at is a 0751 with a rating of 7.5 gal/min.

Does anyone have a Noritz Tankless Water Heater? How do you like it?

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #2  
I don't have Noritz but I think you're doing the right thing going tankless. I have a Takagi and LOVE IT. It heats my whole house, and provides domestic hot water. It will heat 500 gallons per hour and is about 88% efficient. I love it

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #3  
I have had a Takagi for 3 years now. It does work great and for a typical house you will not run out of hot water. The one suggestion I would have is if you have well water you need to put in a whole house filter (HD about $50) right after the water line enters the house. The tankless unit has a little filter on it that clogs up way too easily thus restricting the water flow. If the flow is too little then the unit will not turn on. Once I had installed the whole filter I have not had any problems.

When looking at units you want to use the flow rate for the degree difference of the incoming water to the perferred temp at the faucet. Most water enters the house at around 50 deg so 115 deg outgoing will be 65 degrees difference. Get the manufacturers flow rate based on this number....it will likely be less than what is stated in the promotional material.

Jack

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #4  
I found a local Austin Plumbing supply house stocks Noritz and gave me a lot of information. The model I'm looking at is a 0751 with a rating of 7.5 gal/min.

did they tell you that ( depending on your quality) that you may have to flush the units every 6 mo. due to line ,scale ,etc build up in the water coil.If don't mind the maintance all are good units. I have seen/ installed all of the brands & in my opinion, I don't think any brand name is any better than the other. Make sure that your fuel supply line is large enough to handle the high imput rating

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #5  
I too have looked at point of use tankless heaters, and will probably go that route next replacement. Check here to see the endorsement of Rianna tankless heaters for an electronic conditioner they say prevents scale and actually removed scale from their units.

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #6  
I put a Takagi in my home when we added a 90 gallon hot tub. We liked it so much that when we built our vacation home, we installed one there also, but we also installed a 2 stage water treatment system before the the heater. Without the filter system our well water was orange from iron with pH around 5.3. Now it's crystal clear and pH is 6.8-7. Water tastes great too. I gulp 2 big glasses every morning when there.

Marty

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #7  
I have had a Noritz for going on 3 years. It has been trouble free and very economical. When we built our new house we went tankless and with a high efficeny furnace. Our propane useage is half of what we used in our doublewide and it was a fairly new one with better than average insulation and appliances. We would never go back to a tank style water heater.

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have the well water issue as we have a MUD water supply. The water does have a high iron amount but the house had a water softener and I'm using an Iron reducing salt. Still will look into the whole house filter as I have good place to install next to the softener.

We bought the house back in mid Oct. It has 2 50 gal heaters so thankfully I still have hot water on one end of the house. I'm going to replace both while I'm at it. Both are the same age as the house (almost 10 years) and the other is most likly going to fail shortly. Good thing is the Texas Railroad Commision is offering an $800 rebate for the upgrade. This will take a little sticker shock out of the install.

Did anyone have to up the propane supply pressure to the house to keep from having starvation when the water heater and the furnance is operating at the same time?

James

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #9  
Also check into Income Tax rebates for tankless. I know the there was one but don't know if it has expired or not.

/ Noritz Tankless Water Heaters #10  
What kind of money were you looking at for that?
I've been considering one myself, but I heard that they wouldn't sell you one unless you had a licensed installer putting it in for you. Is that true?

thanks

anthony