Bicycle question

/ Bicycle question #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
A long time ago I had a lot of seat time in. Century rides with a pretty good time to boot. Gave it up a long time ago.

I mention this only because of a rant.

I live in a rural area with some rural roads. Better or worse, all the local "city" bikers are now on these roads. Man, they'll ride four abreast and treat the road like they own it. Tonight, coming around a curve doing 35 (10 miles below the speed limit) I almost nailed a biker who was riding dead center of the road. Over the weekend, I passed six bikers who were riding three abreast and as I passed them (in the other lane) they were all screaming at me.

Ok, I'll sound like my dad. When I road bike, I always road defensively (sp?) when on the road. If more than two people were riding, we always road single file if there was any chance of traffic. I knew I either a car or myself made a mistake with a car around, I'd be the one ending up paying for it.

What is it with these bikers today?

I went to town hall the other week to inquire about the law. I was told that bikes are considered "vehicles of the road" and they have every right to the road as a car. Ok, I know what it's like to love to ride a bike, however, when you ride a bike like you own the road, sooner or later someone's going to get nailed. Guess if the state wants to give bikers their own rights of the road, they should give them seperate lanes like they do up in Vermont.

Rant mode off:)

/ Bicycle question #2  
I know what you're saying. I associate it with kids though. It seems the kids around here are ,to put it bluntly, STUPID. They just will not respect others.
I know that leagally, they have the same rights to use the public roads as any other vehicle, but they should respect faster vehicles and yield to them when they can.
Here is my solution to you. if diplomacy has failed, drive behind the bikers, follow them around and lay on the horn constantly. Dont threaten to run over them, just keep some distance but be as absolutely annoying as you can. As far as I know, using your horn to "warn others of your presents" is not illegal. When they approach from your front, stop in such a way that they have to break stride to maneuver around you. Do basically anything legal to persuade them to move on to other roads.

/ Bicycle question #3  
When we lived way out in the country 60 miles south of Dallas, bicycle clubs would have whatever they call their parties and, as you said, they were a terrible nuisance. These were farm-to-market roads, 2 lane asphalt, no shoulder, 55 mph speed limit, and there would be hundreds of them, 2 or 3 abreast and staying spread just far enough apart to be sure cars couldn't pass. You could be stuck behind them for 10 to 15 miles at a time. And while I'd never do it myself, quite frankly, I'd have loved to have someone run over a few of them.

/ Bicycle question #4  
They have put bicycle lanes in around Ottawa and in the county where my country place is. It's just an extra 3 feet of pavement on each side of the road. Bicycles make good tourists because they can't bring much more than their wallets.

/ Bicycle question #5  
Around here bycicke riders have the same rights as vehicles .They are also suppose to obey the same laws.But, I have never seen one get a ticket for running stop sign, red light,speeding etc,. My question is. How can they have the same rights of the road when, they don't pay road taxes for using the roads ? Vehicle operators pay road taxes every time they pump gasoline

/ Bicycle question #6  
Bird said:
When we lived way out in the country 60 miles south of Dallas, bicycle clubs would have whatever they call their parties and, as you said, they were a terrible nuisance. These were farm-to-market roads, 2 lane asphalt, no shoulder, 55 mph speed limit, and there would be hundreds of them, 2 or 3 abreast and staying spread just far enough apart to be sure cars couldn't pass. You could be stuck behind them for 10 to 15 miles at a time. And while I'd never do it myself, quite frankly, I'd have loved to have someone run over a few of them.

I am a long time biker and I've been hit by a car while riding single file as far right as I could. The law is most states recognizes a bicycle as a just another vehicle on the road, same road - same rules.
Because most car drivers won't accept this bikers will ride in groups for safety and experience has taught us if you ride a little farther to left cars will not try to 'split the lane". If both parties would respect each other things would go much smoother.
I'm curious do you also get the urge to run over a farm tractor when they are in your way?
Is your life so hectic that on the rare occurrence you encounter a bike rider or group you can't be delayed a few minutes in the interest of safety?

/ Bicycle question #7  
kenmac said:
Around here bycicke riders have the same rights as vehicles .They are also suppose to obey the same laws.But, I have never seen one get a ticket for running stop sign, red light,speeding etc,. My question is. How can they have the same rights of the road when, they don't pay road taxes for using the roads ? Vehicle operators pay road taxes every time they pump gasoline

Bicycle riders have been cited many times for traffic violations.
Access to the roads in not granted by payment of road taxes, if that was true then pedestrians could not walk down them.

/ Bicycle question #8  
turbo36 said:
Access to the roads in not granted by payment of road taxes, if that was true then pedestrians could not walk down them.

Here at least, pedestrians can't walk down em :) Well, highways they can't. Its illegal because its dangerous for people to be walking down the highway. Used to be illegal to ride a bike down em too, but they have gone an blanked that bit of the warning signs out, so now bicycles are welcome.

On the weekend when I am driving into work, I have to travel up a very narrow, winding mountain road. Cyclists see this road as a great challenge, and I often encounter them coming around a blind corner onto 4-5 riders abreast.

There is nowhere to go but straight through the middle of these slow (riding UP a mountain remember) moving cyclists, and I fear that one will be killed soon as more and more cyclists "take up the challenge".

To drive an automobile, you need the take a test that proves you know the road rules, and there are penalties for not obeying them. If you make enough mistakes, they take away your licence. Cyclists have no such burden of proof, and as they have no licence, you can't stop them riding on the road no matter how many accidents they cause, how many pedestrians they run down, how many road rules they break.

Sorry to rant, but they really make me angry sometimes :mad:

/ Bicycle question #9  
turbo36 said:

Not doubting you, just curious how that works? As was stated, you dont need a license to ride a bike on the streets so would a citation on a bike go against your drivers license? I guess as far as that goes, you could get a DUI for riding a bike while intoxicated.

I to ride but I dont do it on two lane roads with no shoulder. Sure, legally Im aloud to but for the sake of common sense, better judgement and self preservation, I choose not to. Just because its my right to do it doesnt make it smart.

/ Bicycle question
turbo36 said:
I'm curious do you also get the urge to run over a farm tractor when they are in your way?

Is your life so hectic that on the rare occurrence you encounter a bike rider or group you can't be delayed a few minutes in the interest of safety?

I have just as many tractors in my area as bike riders. Difference is the tractor driver will usually pull over and wave you by. The bikers just keep riding and don't seem to care. As mentioned before, I was once an avid biker. However, when I rode, I usually only rode with a couple of my buddies (wasn't as popular back then), but we always rode defensivly and ALWAYS in single file when a car was coming up behind us.

A few minutes? Try almost every day going home behind a group of ten of them.

Other thoughts have crossed my mind, but all legal, and just wanting to be friendly, thats all:p

Talked to a farmer down the road and he gave me some good advice. Get beind a bunch of slow moving bikes that don't want to go out of their way to let you pass? Get in front of them and when you do, go 5 MPH slower than the bikes and let them know what it feels like. I actually thought it was pretty good advice.

One reason why I got into mountain biking was because I thought there were too many idiots driving cars. Now I think there are too many idiots riding road bikes.

You know, thinking about it, I guess it's all the "attitude" that some of these people show. Honestly, I'd hate to see someone get hurt, but sooner or later somone is going to get nailed on one of my local roads. I'm one of the few who actually drive the speed limit. One day, one car will be going to fast coming around a curve and you'll have four of five guides riding abreast of each other coming around the same curve in the opposite direction.

From a legal standpoint, are you better off making sure the guy can't sue you?:D (yes, bad taste I know)