Flourescent shoplight- is it ok to have mismatched bulbs?

/ Flourescent shoplight- is it ok to have mismatched bulbs? #1  

KYErik

Platinum Member
Tractor
1977 AC 7000, 1980 JD 2840, 1963 Case 930, 1963 Ford 4000, 1943 Case SC, Case 530CK backhoe
I have a cheap twin bulb 4 foot shoplight and one of the bulbs is burned out. It is rated for 25watt to 40 watt bulbs.

I'd like to replace the 25 watt bulb that burned out with a 40 watt bulb for more light- but, I wanted to ask here first.

Would having a 25 w and a 40w bulb in the same fixture be a problem?

/ Flourescent shoplight- is it ok to have mismatched bulbs? #2  
Nope!!!!!

/ Flourescent shoplight- is it ok to have mismatched bulbs? #3  
Actually, the answer is "maybe." I just helped a friend out who replaced a few fluorescent tubes in his family's kitchen, and after he installed them, all heck broke loose with the way they worked. He'd turn on the light switch, and things would start flickering, and then would switch to some mode where the bases of the tubes would light up red-hot but wouldn't energize the rest of the tube. Nowadays, there are tubes that are designed for the old style ballast systems, and there are ones that are designed for the newer electronic ballasts. The two don't mix too well. So, if they seem to light up OK, you should be OK. But, if they struggle to light, you're probably not going to have a working ballast for much longer.

/ Flourescent shoplight- is it ok to have mismatched bulbs? #4  
I suggest that you stay with same wattage, but look for the highest Kelvin tube you can get....something around 6500 Kelvin.... the higher the Kelvin number, the whiter/brighter the light is... makes a big difference... it's a shop light.. so you want the brightest you can get...

/ Flourescent shoplight- is it ok to have mismatched bulbs?
Thanks guys- I'll play it safe and stick with the same wattage for both bulbs

/ Flourescent shoplight- is it ok to have mismatched bulbs? #6  
To make sure you don't have to do a trip back to OSH, write down the whole bulb designation number and ask them to match it up. These days, there are three or four different "40W" bulbs that will fit - but only one will actually light up...