Starting garden yet?

/ Starting garden yet? #1  

Ray2310

Silver Member
Tractor
GC2310
Anyone starting their plants yet for the garden?

My wife and I have began the start of a new garden year. We started aproximately 100 tomato plants so far along with a few pepper plants. We also got 5lbs of onion sets in this past weekend

I took some pictures of some things we have going on at the moment.

I have included some pictures of the baby tomatoe plants, our aero garden (hydroponic) the plants are 11 week old (which should have tomatoes ripening any day now), and our new automatic composter we just got.

Attachments

• early girls.JPG
    early girls.JPG
    553.2 KB · Views: 374
  • aero garden 1.JPG
    aero garden 1.JPG
    604.5 KB · Views: 304
  • aero garden 2.JPG
    aero garden 2.JPG
    657.7 KB · Views: 241
  • auto composter 1.JPG
    auto composter 1.JPG
    639.7 KB · Views: 298
  • auto composter 2.JPG
    auto composter 2.JPG
    636.5 KB · Views: 236
  • auto composter 3.JPG
    auto composter 3.JPG
    639.8 KB · Views: 250
   / Starting garden yet? #2  
Ray, You have got an early start..and it really looks good.. I just finished tilling and put in my snow peas & kale... Taters & collards will be next...

Your aero garden makes me think of a green house...My wife would love a green house and I would kinda like one also but I'm not sure if I want another structure around the property to take care of..Just more work...Maybe something like your deal would be an easier plan... But as of this post one of our kids is working at a garden nursery so we will be getting our plants there for the maters & peppers ,most everything else we just plant the seeds....

That composter is very interesting, What is the turn around time and volume that it handles when full? The pics of what comes out looks great...

Spring really gets you psyched for playing in the dirt..:) :cool:

But

/ Starting garden yet? #3  
Early girls are a very nice tomato.:D :D :D

Maybe I'll start some seeds this week. It's -10C outside with a howling wind shaking the house. It will be a few days before it's plantin time here.:D :D

I just got in from clearing snow off the driveway!:D :D

/ Starting garden yet?
Nasty135 said:
Ray, You have got an early start..and it really looks good.. I just finished tilling and put in my snow peas & kale... Taters & collards will be next...

Your aero garden makes me think of a green house...My wife would love a green house and I would kinda like one also but I'm not sure if I want another structure around the property to take care of..Just more work...Maybe something like your deal would be an easier plan... But as of this post one of our kids is working at a garden nursery so we will be getting our plants there for the maters & peppers ,most everything else we just plant the seeds....

That composter is very interesting, What is the turn around time and volume that it handles when full? The pics of what comes out looks great...

Spring really gets you psyched for playing in the dirt..:) :cool:

But

We had a 9x15x4 deep plastic container of scraps that we put in on Sunday, I have attached a picture of the composting progress as of this evening (48hrs). It really breaks down the scraps quite quickly. I have not used it long enough to get a good estimate of how much compost it will produce per week. Nature Mill says you can put 5# of raw scraps in per day. I attached a link for the unit.

NatureMill: How it works

I aslo attached a picture of our indoor greenhouse we use for starting seeds before sending them out to the outdoor greenhouse.

Attachments

• auto composter 4.JPG
    auto composter 4.JPG
    635.7 KB · Views: 207
  • indoor greenhouse.JPG
    indoor greenhouse.JPG
    543.2 KB · Views: 224
  • greenhouse 2007.JPG
    greenhouse 2007.JPG
    699.5 KB · Views: 201
   / Starting garden yet? #5  
Ray you really are ahead of the curve. I just tossing arounf ideas for the new garden this year. I think the 2310 is going to make it a whole lot easier than previous years. I was thinking about doing something similar with raised beds like you did. Did you use treated landscape timbers?

/ Starting garden yet?
archerynut said:
Ray you really are ahead of the curve. I just tossing arounf ideas for the new garden this year. I think the 2310 is going to make it a whole lot easier than previous years. I was thinking about doing something similar with raised beds like you did. Did you use treated landscape timbers?

They are the 8' rounded edge, treated landscape timbers from Lowes. They usually start out the year at around $2.99-$2.49 each. For the last several years I have found them on sale for $1.79-$1.99.

I like the raised beds because you don't have to till (this allows me to get some stuff in early), easier to plant in, weed and if it rains you can still work in the raised beds. I do have a traditional garden that I also plant.

/ Starting garden yet? #7  
Define "Started your garden"

I've built some raised beds, set them where I want them, and put in a sprinkler system for them. If it ever stops raining, I'm going to get some soil mixed for them. Hope to have onion sets, lettuce, carrots and spinach planted by the first of next week.

EDIT: Forgot the link. I started a blog on my raised bed garden. Jeff & Nancys Veggie Adventure

/ Starting garden yet? #9  
Ray2310 said:
Anyone starting their plants yet for the garden?

Now you've done it! I feel really bad about not putting in a garden this year. I'm stickin' to my plan and not doing it, but I do miss it. I'm already late at planting the tomato seeds you sent to me too. Maybe this weekend I'll get that done.:rolleyes:

We've been so busy getting our properties on the market and getting ready for a May wedding for our youngest son. I'll just have to watch your progress and enjoy gardening vicariously for at least one year. By next year, I should be back into the swing of it.

Your young plants and fruiting tomatoes really look great. That aero-garden looks perfect for an indoor winter garden. You'll have to let us know how the tomatoes taste. What variety? Are they Early Girls too?

That composter is interesting too. I guess I'm lazy. I've always bought compost when I need it because it seems you work so hard for a small amount of material. You have to admit, $300 will buy an awful lot of cotton burr compost. You'll have to keep us updated on how well it works and if it keeps going trouble-free.

So keep posting Ray. I'll be lookin' over your shoulder this year.:)

/ Starting garden yet?
jinman,

Everyone is sure going to miss your garden this year.

I don't know what variety the Aero Garden tomatoes are. They are a cherry tomato and I'll let ya know how they taste.

The composter was a little pricy although we got ours a little cheaper from Sam Club. But, you are right $300 does buy alot of compost. I look at as more of a luxury item.

Ray