Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet?

/ Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet? #1  

Podunkadunk

Veteran Member
Just received the latest edition of "American Rifleman" in the mail yesterday. It had a feature article on the new Remington R-15 in .204 Ruger or .223 caliber. Anyone out in TBN land own one yet? The article gave them a sweet review.

Link to site: Remington Model R-15 VTR™ Modular Repeating Rifles

At first I thought, it's about time Remington entered the AR market, but then I found out that in a round-about way, they were already involved, at least financially.

Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS and Cobb Manufacturing are all owned by Cerberus Capital Management LP. Looks like they may all be in kahootz.

Podunk

/ Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet? #2  
I'll stick with my Rock River Arms AR-15.
In fact, I think it's time to buy another one...

/ Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet? #3  
Podunkadunk said:
Anyone out in TBN land own one yet? The article gave them a sweet review.

Do you know of any gun reviews where the article mentioned that the gun in question was a piece of junk and you shouldn't buy it?

Not saying that the Remington is junk in any way, never even saw one, just that if Jennings paid a magazine some serious advertising money to a magazine, bet your sweet bottom their $100 semi auto would get rave reviews as well.

Honestly, I would think it would be hard to screw up the AR platform.

/ Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet? #4  
I was more interested in the new Federal .327.Magnum cartridge in the Ruger SP101. I have a 9mm and a 10mm Glock but the more that I think about it a wheel gun is the most practical home gun. I was already thinking about getting a SP101 but the .327 has a lot of benefits plus my wife could handle it more easily than a .357.

Vernon
NRA Endowment Life Member

Last edited:
   / Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet? #5  
Podunkadunk said:
Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS and Cobb Manufacturing are all owned by Cerberus Capital Management LP. Looks like they may all be in kahootz.

Podunk
I did not know that. They all seem to have some fine products.
I'd like to build one with a piston upper:D

/ Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet? #6  
Basically a relabled Bushmaster with a few "predator hunting" specifics added. I know Byron South helped decide on the features. It has gotten great reviews from the guys at the Predator Master forums.

/ Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet?
MDM said:
Basically a relabled Bushmaster with a few "predator hunting" specifics added. I know Byron South helped decide on the features. It has gotten great reviews from the guys at the Predator Master forums.

Yep, you're right. In the time from my initial post until now, I read more of the magazine...page 56 talks about how Bushmaster and Remington joined forces to create this one. I was shocked, but well pleased. Each of the 4 (Remington, Bushy, DPMS and Cobb) make some darn fine weapons.

RoyJackson said:
I'll stick with my Rock River Arms AR-15.
In fact, I think it's time to buy another one...

I like Rock River also and I agree with you and MDM about getting more, especially before 2009! I picked up a Colt LE 6920 about a month ago. Put an ACOG 4x32 RCO M4 on it. SWEET! These are new releases for Trijicon. Until this year, you couldn't get what the LEO, Marines and Spec Ops were using. One peek down that tube and you'll know why they are using them:D . Got 2 Colt AR-15's now and an Armalite AR-10. I'm keeping my A2 model Colt basic, no optics, just good ole GI iron sights. Going to put another Trijicon on my AR-10, just haven't made up my mind yet which one.

Sigarms said:
Do you know of any gun reviews where the article mentioned that the gun in question was a piece of junk and you shouldn't buy it?

Not saying that the Remington is junk in any way, never even saw one, just that if Jennings paid a magazine some serious advertising money to a magazine, bet your sweet bottom their $100 semi auto would get rave reviews as well.

Honestly, I would think it would be hard to screw up the AR platform.

Nope. Never read an article in a reputable firearms magazine where the weapon in the feature was labeled "junk" or I was warned not to buy it.

However, I've read a ton of articles where honest appraisals were doled out and all the weapons' shortcomings (at least in the eyes of the reviewer) were layed out in black and white. Then I made my own assessment based on what the author of the article wrote. Whether or not that brand got my money was totally up to me and my choice after I checked it out, IF I even bothered to do so after reading the article. Common sense plays a huge role...I wouldn't give you a pale full of spent brass for a brand new Jennings anything...no matter how good a review it got!

Podunk

/ Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet? #8  
Texbaylea,
I have heard a lot of good press about the 327 Mag online and in magazines but I have yet to find ammo or the revolvers on any shelves yet. It looks like a neat cartridge I am just leary of the future availability of ammo. Also as a side note, I thin that you can shoot 32 H&R and other 32 caliber shells out of that gun for cheaper practice. I also have been looking at a SP101 (I just ordered an GP100) for concealed carry and around the house, handled one tonight and honestly I wasn't that crazy about the grip.

/ Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet? #9  
archerynut said:
Texbaylea,
I also have been looking at a SP101 (I just ordered an GP100) for concealed carry and around the house, handled one tonight and honestly I wasn't that crazy about the grip.

I bought an SP101 (3.06" barrel) .357 Mag about a month ago.
It's primarily a house gun but I have carried it (IWB) a few times. Nice gun...handles full-house magnum rounds with no problems and the weight of the revolver tames the recoil.
As far as the grips...I shot maybe 20 rounds through it then switched to a Hogue Monogrip. The factory grips were OK (to me), however the Hogue grips fit my hand better.
As far as the .327 Mag revolver....it sounds pretty cool. As far as ammo availability, I'm sure many folks considered the same thing when .40 S&W first arived on the scene. Only time will tell if .327 Mag makes it or drops by the wayside.
IMHO, the SP101 is a great gun for .38/.357Mag. It's a bit too heavy for the smaller calibers.

Last edited:
   / Remington R-15...anyone bought one yet? #10  
archerynut said:
Texbaylea,
I have heard a lot of good press about the 327 Mag online and in magazines but I have yet to find ammo or the revolvers on any shelves yet. It looks like a neat cartridge I am just leary of the future availability of ammo. Also as a side note, I thin that you can shoot 32 H&R and other 32 caliber shells out of that gun for cheaper practice. I also have been looking at a SP101 (I just ordered an GP100) for concealed carry and around the house, handled one tonight and honestly I wasn't that crazy about the grip.

I called around but the 327's aren't in distribution yet. I have not "tried on" the SP101s yet and I may find problems with the grip also. I found that I had to put a Hogue over grip on my Glock 20, 10mm to be comfortable in my large hands. My wife has a Glock 19 but does not shoot enough to be really comfortable with handling it. I am hoping that the SP101 will be a better fit for her plus be something that I could use in a pinch. She has shot my Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag and did well but also felt it was too much cartridge for her.

As to the ammo I plan on buying a batch of empties as soon as they are available and reload. I would just need to get a set of .32 dies from Lee and
a bullet mould.

Vernon