Homemade aerator

/ Homemade aerator #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
I decided it was time to aerate the pond. According to sources, it should keep the water cleaner and fish happier.
For two years I run water fountain Sugar Creek Fountains - - pond, fountain, eco series, eco, eco jr., aerators, ponds, fountains, floating, pumps, parts, nozzels, lighted, lights, but it mixes only two top feet of water.

To start as cheap as possible, I bought oilless HF compressor for 60 on sale. Later on, after reading resources like Pond Boss, I realized, it is not the best compressor to use.

My first diffuser was built from PVC 2" pipe, since it was the one I had. I tried to drill tiny holes in it but the bubbles were too big and it just didnt seem to work well enough. Than I had my satori-of-the-week and decided to use soaker hose with some brigs to hold it down. I laid it under water in a line to create a screen of bubbles. It worked ok - but only the hose part closest to the source.

Attachments

• DSCN4315.jpg
    DSCN4315.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 3,549
  • DSCN4317.jpg
    DSCN4317.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,066
   / Homemade aerator
Now it was time to do the hard part - stop tinkering and read some sources. (we all know that reading manuals is for sissies:)).

I went to Pond Boss Forum - Powered by UBB.threads™ and realized:

- my compressor is gonna die on me
- soaker hose is not the best diffuser out there
- the bubbles help mix the water/bring it up and the aeration happens on the surface = I should have a strong vortex in one spot
- compressor hose is an overkill, water hose is enough
- there is more science to it than I ever need to know:D

With that knowledge, shamelessly copying designs from photos at Pond Boss I created my second diffuser using an old tire, hay twine, bricks for the weight and the same soaker hose. This diffuser creates nice air cauliflower on the water. I run it several times a day for an hour, it is too early to say what difference it will make for the pond.
The plan is to upgrade as necessary. When the diffuser clogs up, i will get a real diffuser, when the compressor kicks the bucket, I am gonna find better air pump, etc. - but I am getting air in the water now :D

Attachments

• DSCN4326.jpg
    DSCN4326.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 12,205
  • DSCN4328.jpg
    DSCN4328.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,146
   / Homemade aerator #3  
My compliments on your creativity and determination.

However, my opinion is that pond aeration is best accomplished with the compressors designed specifically for that application and the diffusers that have years and years of scientific research behind their designs. I love DIY stuff, especially as related to ponds....but when it comes to aeration, I buy the best stuff I can find that is specifically designed for that purpose.....just my two cents.

/ Homemade aerator
No question about it, I agree with you. I am going to buy a diffuser when this one dies and same for the compressor.