weight of trailer, tractor and truck

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
i went by an weighed my tractor, trailer and truck today: then the truck and trailer then the truck:
tractor = 5840 pounds
trailer = 1980 pounds
truck = 5740 pounds

so i am pulling 7820 pounds when i haul my tractor...the trailer has two 3500 pound axles, so i am running over by 980# : my truck is rated to pull 7000 pounds: i just pulled it about 120 miles today: glad i don't have to do that very often.
the trailer is 18ft long: the tractor is a kubota 4900 with bush hog fel:
heehaw

Last edited:
   / weight of trailer, tractor and truck #2  
At 980 lb your trailer must be aluminum. Seems a little too low to be steel. It does seem like you are maxed out for capacity but still legal. When you weighed the tractor did that include the bush hog? If not you'll be overweight in your towing.

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck #3  
I think you might want to check your math again on the trailer. I have a 6.5x12 single axle that weighs 700#. JC

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck
oops: math is wrong: the truck and trailer weighs 7720, the truck weighs 5740 that's sure not 980 difference..its 1980 pounds: so i guess i am running over weight for two 3500 pound axles...dang..a trailer with 5000 pound axles is expensive!!! i do have brakes on both axles of the trailer i use: and it stops really well: if i go to a heavier trailer, that will just add more weight for the truck to pull: i have a 2004 chevy, 4wd, 1/2ton: rated at pulling 7000 pounds, according to the owners manual.
heehaw

i priced a couple heavier trailers today: $2900 to $3300 plus sales tax for 20ft flatbed trailer with 6K axles, brakes on both axles. that would probably add another 500 pounds to what i haul, and i'm not sure it would be worth it: even thought about adding another axle to the 18ft trailer i have, but figure that would mess up the way it pulls: so i guess i'll just leave well enough alone and keep my eyes open for a good used heavy duty trailer.
heehaw

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck #6  
You may not be overweight, on the axles anyway. Some of the trailer load is carried by the hitch. Do you have individual axle weights? Check also your truck axle ratings and the GCWR (combined weight rating) for your truck.

going by the truck owners manual: 7000 pounds is the max pulling rating: i thought about some of the weight being on the hitch: but doubt it would be over 300 or 400 pounds?? i do use an reese equalizer hitch on the trailer, without that i doubt i could carry the weight at all.
heehaw

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck #8  
Heehaw, you may be able to modify your truck's suspension to make it legal, but your trailer is very nearly the same as mine and overloaded. I think mine weighs about 2300 lb and is 18' with two 3500 lb axles. I don't haul my tractor on it. I need to sell it and buy a heavier duty trailer. It does give me an excuse for not doing favors where I'd have to haul my tractor.:)

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck #9  
Got a pic of the trailer heehaw? Does sound heavy. Is this just a regular 2 axle bed between the fenders 18' bumper pull? 5' wide or 6.8" wide?

Rob

/ weight of trailer, tractor and truck #10  
By my math you are 820 pounds over, if the trailer is rated at 7000 and at least half of that is on the tongue and depending how you distribute the weight you might be able to stay within you axles capacity by moving more weight forward. Like RobS said you should check the CGWR for truck and trailer.
I would say you are right at the border line and should be OK especially if its just occasional use, If it was everyday business use then I would want to go with a 5 ton trailer, but then you still have the limitation of the 1/2 ton truck.

I've been looking for 2 years for a good used 5 ton equipment trailer (looked at one today) I could get by with a 7000 pounder, but figure every one wishes they had more capacity, I might as well get a heavier one to begin with.
John,