Dead Birds on Backhoe

/ Dead Birds on Backhoe #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
I know this one sounds weird, I guess because it is.

Last year we bought a full size backhoe, a 555C Ford, yellow (I have no idea what is relevant here) and parked it out front, under some power lines usually.

So, several times last year, I think about 4, I went out and there would be a dead bird laying beside the backhoe.

My ideas were powerlines somehow, or 10 year old son and BB gun. Had a long talk with the son and fairly sure it was not him. Still could not figure the powerline out, but watch birds land there fairly regular so it did not make sense, and why just above the hoe?

Went out last night to use the hoe, and there was a dead bird laying beside it. It was parked in the mulch bins, well away from powerlines. Son was not around since I had done some work right where the dead bird was laying so I am sure it was not him.

The only thing I can figure is that somehow my dogs are tying the backhoe with my wife, and if she is not around, they are bringing their "captures" too the backhoe and dropping them off.

Makes me think about that "are you my mother book" but my dogs must have got confused along the way.

While my dogs regularly chase birds, squirrells or anything moving on the property (to include one dog that chases bullets :eek: ) I just cannot figure why they would bring it too the hoe, I do not see them lounging around it either.

So, I am stumped and curious. Was wondering if anyone else had some insight or a similar experience they would be willing to share?

/ Dead Birds on Backhoe #2  
Alan. Any chance they are flying into the cab windows? We have big windows on the front of the house and birds fly into then pretty regularly.

Chris

/ Dead Birds on Backhoe #3  
If you can, move the bh to another location. If the bird thing continues then you can eliminate either the bh or power lines.

/ Dead Birds on Backhoe #4  
You've discovered the reason for the old warning "Where is YOUR backhoe tonight?" ;) And the source material for the horror flick "Hozilla...the Night Raider. It started with little things...birds, squirrels, cattle...and then it was complete septic systems. Who can stop the carnage?" (maybe Clint Walker and Killdozer?)

Lots of possibilities, but your dog guess sounds like a good one. Our dogs used to leave their gifts on the back porch....had we moved the back porch, I'm sure their gifts would have followed.

/ Dead Birds on Backhoe #5  
Alan - What condition are the birds in (other than dead)? Does it look like they have been chewed on or mauled.......or just dropped dead?

Some options:
> Your dogs (check birds for teeth marks)
> Daniel (Dean) Boone - the bb gun expert
> Is your BH leaking coolant/hydraulic fluid - poisoning the birds
> Shorted wiring - Electrical short where the birds land/peck

If this was at my house the answer would clearly be our cats. They literally hide on the tractor waiting for birds to land on the fencing or the steering wheel or FEL.

/ Dead Birds on Backhoe #6  
If the dog theory is the cause, you have a **** of a "bird dog" program, I see $$$ signs...lol.. come dove season, just put the BH in the field and every hour or so go get your prize.
look at it like the glass is half full..if the dealer that sold it to you knew it was a "bird hoe" he would have charged you more.

/ Dead Birds on Backhoe
pennwalk said:
Alan. Any chance they are flying into the cab windows? We have big windows on the front of the house and birds fly into then pretty regularly.

Chris

That is what my buddy at work just mentioned as well. I guess it never crossed my mind, but is quite possible as well.

Champ, I have not really examined them much, but I think the next one I am going to look it over closely. While the hoe leaks a bit etc. it is nothing that raises any alarm with me but it has me very, very curious at this point.

Thanks for the input guys, will update if I figure anything out.

/ Dead Birds on Backhoe #8  
Mine seems to be aptly named for this type of issue.

Attachments

• 100_0511.JPG
    100_0511.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 179
   / Dead Birds on Backhoe #9  
pennwalk said:

Chris

This reminds me of when I went to the FBI National Academy at Quantico, VA, in 1986. I was really surprised at the number of dead birds around the building from them flying into the glass.

/ Dead Birds on Backhoe #10  
Very common for birds to fly into glass, especially when they can see clear through. I have that happen while I'm in my deer stand (building).