Sick Coyote

/ Sick Coyote #1  

Jeff244

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 65C
A coyote came up by our house earlier this evening. It was walking in circles for about 15 minutes in our back yard. It didn't look sick. It seemed to once or twice look at our dog but it never acknowledged me when I went outside even when I yelled at it. It walked within about 5 feet of me without looking at me. I almost think it was blind. Later, when it was within a few feet of our dog, I shot it. It did not react at all to the first 2 shots, both of which hit it. The 3rd shot dropped it. I put it in the tractor bucket and dumped it in the woods. Now I am wondering if I should of buried it in case it has a disease that another animal could get. What does anyone think?

Thanks,
Jeff

/ Sick Coyote #2  
out of respect for any living creature that's dead, it should be buried.

also, leaving dead animals around your lot, sick or not, is overall unsanitary.

i would bury it.

/ Sick Coyote #3  
Circling can be a symptom of a fairly common (and fatal) viral infection, and I can't now recall which one. Had a LARGE racoon do that a few years back...it tried to attack me but kept listing to the left and then circling or walking in left-hand arcs. Warden later told me it was symptomatic of ???? which is fairly common and contagious. It was one of the things the dog gets vaccinated for as I recall. Anyway, he suggested I handle the carcass with care, and spray the area where I shot it and the carcass with bleach solution.

/ Sick Coyote #4  
Bury it.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to look around and designate an animal burial area. If I think about it now, I can get somewhere far from my well, and house.

If I wait until I have to make a decision right away, I could pick a bad location.

/ Sick Coyote #5  
Sounds kinda like distemper. Lots of animals get it this time of year. Very common in coons and foxes. You did the right thing shooting it. It is a good idea to dig a hole and toss it in, just to be on the safe side.
Pat

/ Sick Coyote #6  
Parvo, distemper or perhaps Rabies. At any rate, not normal behavior so you did the right thing in shooting it. You should bury it so it dosn't pass along whatever it had to another animal.

I am not sure what the rules are like in your area, but you might want to ask a hypothetical question of your local animal control, without getting yourself in trouble of course. They may even want the carcas for testing.

/ Sick Coyote #7  
How about building a big fire and watch from a good distance:rolleyes:

/ Sick Coyote #8  
I've seen this behavior with a raccoon and a squirrel on two far different occasions. I shot the raccoon as he did not look good at all. The squirrel just this year. I thought he was just special but, now I'm thinking it maybe what your discussing. I haven稚 seen him in a while. He seemed OK and was eating but, would move around in circles and just fall over at times.

I assume you have a big dog. We just spent $1600 in vet bills after a coyote tore into our 14lb Lakeland Terrier. It was a good thing I heard noises outside or it would of been all over within another minute or two. She's an indoor dog mostly now.

/ Sick Coyote #10  
If I could easily get it in a loader, I'd put it on top of some brush and burn it....or if you can't move it just build a fire on top of it.

Animals that have died from apparent possibly contagious Disease on my place get burned, including cows....just don't want to contaminate the soil in any way and a hot fire consumes everything.