How much does it cost to build a pole barn??

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn?? #1  

Pushing_Tin

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
We are building a new house and we need an outbuilding to store the tractor, firewood, lawn mower etc. I'm looking at having a mini barn built, but they want about $2k for a 10x20 size. Can anybody tell me what it costs roughly to have a pole barn built? Ideally it would be 300-400 sq ft.

Thanks! :D

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn?? #2  
We got a 28x40x14' barn built last year with parts, labor, concrete floor, and site prep for about $20k. That does not include any electrical work or door openers, though it included 3 overhead doors of 10x10 each. This was by far the lowest quote I got and the local building inspector told me I was lucky the company I used did a decent job because they often don't, per him.

Same company and several others advertise barn packages in the local Saturday paper for about 1/3 that price (for similar size 30x40x10) but such packages are apparently just materials for a super-simple barn.

I have not priced a smaller size barn like the 10x20 you're talking, but $2k sounds low to me. If it's a reputable builder - great! Might be worth asking the local building inspector if he's heard of them before you sign a contract.

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn?? #3  
I had an 18'x26' steel carport installed for about $4k. Then I included sides; doors; windows; etc...on a gravel pad. Local quotes for a similar pole barn were in the $12k range to start.

Attachments

• DSC00854.JPG
    DSC00854.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 7,871
  • DSC00850.JPG
    DSC00850.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 5,056
   / How much does it cost to build a pole barn??
Thanks for the replies guys, I need something very very basic. Just enough to keep the wood and tractor dry. The only good thing about keeping it under 200 sq ft is I don't have to get a building permit, which is ridiculous here. Any other replies are welcome!

Champy said:
I had an 18'x26' steel carport installed for about $4k. Then I included sides; doors; windows; etc...on a gravel pad. Local quotes for a similar pole barn were in the $12k range to start.

So what was the total cost when you did it this way?

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn?? #6  
I built a 12 x 18 shed for my dogs last fall. Had about $2400 in it, building it myself. This included concrete for the shed floor, plus an additional 13 x 8 concrete slab to add to the existing dog runs. I used 2 x 4 to frame the walls, used OSB for the walls and vinyl sided the exterior with two small windows. However, I did not have the cost of an overhead door because i was able to get by with a 36" man door. I also got a deal on trusses (they were 6/12 pitch but only half a truss because I think they were for a porch roof. I was able to put two together to make a normal truss and there were just enough trusses for my shed.

Hope this helps.

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn?? #7  
can you put a lean to on the side of the garage?
I did one of those for a buddy several years back for about $600.
otherwise, $6-10k is the price range around here for a 30x40 w/10' sidewalls - and you have to have the dirtwork or concrete done before they show.

Lowe's has a 10x14 steel garden shed under $500 right now. the wood sheds are close to that $2k you mentioned.

check your local lumberyards for package deals, too.

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn?? #8  
Pushing_Tin said:
We are building a new house and we need an outbuilding to store the tractor, firewood, lawn mower etc. I'm looking at having a mini barn built, but they want about $2k for a 10x20 size. Can anybody tell me what it costs roughly to have a pole barn built? Ideally it would be 300-400 sq ft.

Thanks! :D

If you really want a rock-bottom price, last December I picked up on a 10' x 20' car garage (the kind made out of tarps on a steel pole frame) for $100 at Joe's in Medford. They are usually closer to $200.

If the height is enough for you this will get your stuff out of the rain for a year or so. This gives you time to decide what you really want in the way of a pole barn, and also lets you live in the house for a while and decide where you really want the barn.

CurlyDave said:
If you really want a rock-bottom price, last December I picked up on a 10' x 20' car garage (the kind made out of tarps on a steel pole frame) for $100 at Joe's in Medford. They are usually closer to $200.

If the height is enough for you this will get your stuff out of the rain for a year or so. This gives you time to decide what you really want in the way of a pole barn, and also lets you live in the house for a while and decide where you really want the barn.

That's some sound advice Dave, thanks! BTW I was born in Grants Pass. I also work the airplanes in and out of your airport. :)

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn?? #10  
I second Curly Dave's suggestion. I got 2 of these 10x20's at Costco.
One houses my tractor up on Denman island when it is there. The other one is holding all my 'treasures' while I rebuild my 20x32' garage (about 10k in materials so far...).
Check around there are some really light weight canopies that fly away at the first breeze. Mine have 2" steel tubes for the frame and full set of walls.