Marking Property

/ Marking Property #1  

wrinkled

Tractor
YANMAR YM-2K
Hello

After living in a rural setting now for a couple of years, we finally have a neighbor and he will soon be putting in grass. (Currenlty his yard is furrows and weeds.)

Unlike some of the other posts in this forum, he is not a problem neighbor. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif What I'm looking for a good way to mark our property corners (now marked with surveyor pins) with something more visible, so that it makes mowing easier. Currently we have the metal fence posts stuck in the ground at the pins, but I'm looking for something a little less obvious.

TIA

Dave

/ Marking Property #2  
what about digging around those surveyor pins and pouring a 6" round with the pin sticking up just a little bit out of the middle of the concrete. You'd be able to mow over it - but would sure make finding the pin easy. You could even set a brass marker in the concrete if you had a mind to.
mike

/ Marking Property #3  
I used the ubiquitous T-posts, but put bluebird houses on them.

/ Marking Property #4  
Or bury a nice cedar (or whatever material is native in your area) fence post with a bird house on top of it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Marking Property #5  
Run a straight line between those pins and plant a few trees right on the line. The growing sort of marker is the easiest on the eyes.

Pete

/ Marking Property #6  
Just drive the markers into the ground. If a dispute does occur, use your buddies' metal detector to find those pegs just below your mower blades.

I have neighbors too, but let them move around to accomodate their lifestyle (we are talking hundreds of feet between us). The laws are not what one thinks. No one can not just mow a section of your property for a short time and claim it to be theirs. So you can relax and enjoy your land!

/ Marking Property #7  
Wrinkled,

You can find three trees around the stake and slash three stripes into
the bark on each tree. The trees should be located such that the pin
is in the middle of the three. Surveryors used to do this and still might.
A single slash in a tree mean you are near a property line and I think
two slashes means there was a change in direction of the line. Three
slashes mean you are at a corner.

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty

/ Marking Property #8  
I have the unsightly t-posts, really should do something about that. Across the street from me, the guy marked the corners with a very nice 6X6 treated post with some decorative carving around the top (slope top with a few grooves cut in around the post). The sit low, only a couple of feet off the ground. Don't stand out, yet you know where things are when you need to. I think it looks pretty classy (hmmm, maybe a summer project).

/ Marking Property #9  
I like the treated post and bird house... but my wife like natural trees... so we put in more trees... over time they will screen and make a nice fence roll.

/ Marking Property #10  
The PO of our place used the "coffee can filled with concrete surrounding the survey post" technique at all corners and we are very grateful. They are flush with the ground so can be mowed over, yet quite permanent and easy to find. To keep them visible, about once a month I scuff the grass off the top with my boot. Works for us :)

A couple of them also have a cedar post topped with a blue bird house. Tasty bonus for the neighbor's cat. :D