How I love Morels!

/ How I love Morels! #11  
Here is a recent post about my first moral experience. There are also several pictures for those who are curious:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/119000-look-what-i-found-dirt.html

Since then, we found another big patch. Got at least 15 more. This time we tried frying them. And that was the best way we've eaten them so far. First I cut them into rings then rinsed them off in cold water. Dry them well on a paper towel. My wife prepares a batter if flour with salt and Thyme. She first dips them into the flour, then into some egg (farm fresh, of course) then back into the flour again. Then fry till golden brown in vegetable oil. They were just fantastic! Getting the amount of salt right is key. I also sprinkled some freshly grated parmegian cheese on some of them right out of the oil. Good stuff.

It is really nice to find something so good right there on your property that you did nothing to cultivate. Like a little gift from God.

/ How I love Morels! #12  
Podunkadunk said:
Are these the kind that grow in the middle of cow poop? Boys around here pickem all the time. They make you whacky from what I've heard.

The mushrooms you are speaking of are psilocybin mushrooms. I used to have a hippie friend that called them "Silly Simon" because that's what their name sounds like. I never tried them,:p but their name is fun to spell.:)

Psychedelic Mushrooms

/ How I love Morels! #14  
Anyone know how the black morals taste compared to the greys and yellows? Are they similar? I passed up a ton of black morals a few days ago here in NW Missouri. I wasn't sure they were true morals since I have always found greys and yellows but have never seen black morals on our property before.

/ How I love Morels! #16  
I have had the misfortune of taking care of a few patients that got their mushrooms wrong and sadly no longer with us.

/ How I love Morels! #17  
I'd been coached on the safety of morels, even to the untrained eye. But we were still a little nervous when eating them. If you do a bit of in depth research you will find that a number of mushrooms that are considered perfectly safe can still cause some stomach upset in some people.

It is also interesting that some serious mushroomer (shroomis, fun-guys, whatever) will pick and eat false morels on purpose. Apparently the toxin is a protein and breaks down when well cooked. I've read that on occasion they can still end up in your place of business.

I have also read not to eat morels uncooked. So apprently many mushrooms that are not considered toxic can have some degree of 'toxicity.'

/ How I love Morels! #18  
My wife and I have had a good Morel season so far. However there were snow flakes flying today.

Picked these last Thursday.
P1010002.jpg

And these on Sunday.
P1010004-1.jpg

/ How I love Morels! #19  
The black morels have a stronger, more distinct taste (at least to me) but generally similar to the yellows. Black morels usually come out earlier in the season, while the yellows towards the end of the season.

And yes, many people have reactions to wild mushrooms, even morels, especially if eaten in large quantities or with alcohol. And yes, morels need to be cooked or they will definitely cause a reaction. Usually the reaction is an upset stomach and other digestive problems. I always advise extreme caution and if you do try a wild mushroom that is deemed "safe" by an expert, you should only eat a small portion at first to see if you have a bad reaction.

/ How I love Morels! #20  
Had morels once. They were great! I saw them at a store in SW Ohio last weekend, $17-$24 for a pint. I had to pass on them. These looked hand picked, soaked and very fresh.
This particular store caters to this kind of stuff. We quit shopping at the big stores, 'cause the quality and variety of veggies at this store was so much better.