How I love Morels!

/ How I love Morels! #1  

newcountry

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota BX2230
There is nothing in life like finding a gift you never even were expecting.

Tonight while mowing for the first time on MY Kubota, my lovely wife stopped and started waving her arms. I turned, looked, and what was my first thought? "Oh my gosh, what did she do now?":eek: But instead she shows me two HUGE morel mushrooms just sitting there right on the mowed edge where the brush begins. We figured it was too cool today and not enough sun recently for morels. All work immediately stopped and had the five in my family working the brush. Ended up finding 12!! 50 would've been better, but I'm pleased as punch with 12.

As finishing up mowing found 4 more in my backyard! :D :D Right there in the grass, just asking me to pick them.

Can anyone guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

/ How I love Morels! #2  
:D Are you going to share your recipes.:D

When a kid on the farm I can remember picking buckets of morels.! Seems they always ended up in scrambled eggs!:D :D

/ How I love Morels! #3  
newcountry said:
There is nothing in life like finding a gift you never even were expecting.

Tonight while mowing for the first time on MY Kubota, my lovely wife stopped and started waving her arms. I turned, looked, and what was my first thought? "Oh my gosh, what did she do now?":eek: But instead she shows me two HUGE morel mushrooms just sitting there right on the mowed edge where the brush begins. We figured it was too cool today and not enough sun recently for morels. All work immediately stopped and had the five in my family working the brush. Ended up finding 12!! 50 would've been better, but I'm pleased as punch with 12.

As finishing up mowing found 4 more in my backyard! :D :D Right there in the grass, just asking me to pick them.

Can anyone guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?
Almost morel season here in Michigan,can,t wait.coobie

/ How I love Morels! #4  
Post some picts.........I have never seen one in the woods

/ How I love Morels! #5  
Are these the kind that grow in the middle of cow poop? Boys around here pickem all the time. They make you whacky from what I've heard.

/ How I love Morels! #6  
SCDolphin said:
Post some picts.........I have never seen one in the woods

Morels grow mainly around trees -- they aren't the kind that grow in manure. Here are a few pics. The first two pics are of "black" morels, while the third has a mixture of mainly yellows, with some black and grays mixed in.

Attachments

• Morel_1.jpg
    Morel_1.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 220
  • Morel_2.JPG
    Morel_2.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 194
  • Morel1.JPG
    Morel1.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 202
   / How I love Morels!
Found a bunch more today, it was a great day eating at the MIL who can cook them up just right!

Sorry, no pics.

The best recipe (MIL's) is cutting them in half, dippin in milk and egg mix, dredging in flour and frying in butter. The best!! I've heard alot about mixing in eggs though and I'm remembered why when I had them tonight-- they would go great with eggs.

These are not the wacky schrooms. They grow more around rotten wood and tree trunks, but not always. They're hard to find - that's why it's called morel hunting. Also they're not available commercially since no one can figure how to breed them in captivity ;)

/ How I love Morels! #8  
Those morels in the third picture look more like I would expect to find at this time of year. The dark tops on the others would make me a little suspicious. And for those not familiar with mushrooms, please don't eat any mushroom if you are not SURE what variety it is! Always soak them overnight in water with a little salt, to let the little critters get out.

/ How I love Morels! #9  
There is what is called a "False Morel" which resembles the Morels but is not good for your constitution.:D :D :D

/ How I love Morels! #10  
wjoerob said:
Those morels in the third picture look more like I would expect to find at this time of year. The dark tops on the others would make me a little suspicious. And for those not familiar with mushrooms, please don't eat any mushroom if you are not SURE what variety it is! Always soak them overnight in water with a little salt, to let the little critters get out.

The black morels are less common in Indiana, which is why you may not have run across them. They are perfectly edible, however. See link.

Classic Black Morels (MushroomExpert.Com)

Regarding false morels, they more closely resemble the yellow morels but are easily distinguishable in that real morels have hollow caps and false morels do not have hollow caps. See link.

The Great Morel - False Morels

Finally, I agree with wjoerob, unless you are 99.999% sure you are eating an edible mushroom, don't.

Dave