Clearing Huisache and Mesquite

/ Clearing Huisache and Mesquite #1  

CTW

Silver Member
Friends, I'm trying to do the most research possible on ridding my property of huisache and mesquite. I'm sure there are some folks on this great forum that have had their share of battles with the above mentioned and I'm reaching out to you for helpful tips. I was thinking of spraying with glyphosate (adding soap or diesel) and considering chipping them up afterwards. I could just hire a dozer to push them over but then I worry about them re-seeding if I chip them green. This particular property is 100 acres, any suggestions?

/ Clearing Huisache and Mesquite #2  
Bulldozer is the prefered method. Yes you will be fighting new growth for several years since there are lots of dormant seeds just waiting for the right opportunity to show up and that is where you can use a sprayer to keep them in check.

If you do use a bulldozer the Mesquite thorns will be around for years waiting for nice soft tires if you don't remove them also.

The glyphosate will work on the small stuff but will take forever or not at all on the big stuff and you still have the tree/thorns to still deal with.

There is some stuff that TSC sells that is very costly that does work on med size Mesquite but a bulldozer is the cheapest fastest method by far.

/ Clearing Huisache and Mesquite #3  
Unfortunately, I doubt that you'll get a more cheerful answer than you got from wushaw. Fighting mesquite is a nearly unending job.

/ Clearing Huisache and Mesquite #4  
Those are the two most pernicious brush types to remove/control/eradicate that there is. See your County Agent... get his recommendation... much depends on how fast you need relief, how much you wish to spend, how dense the infestation is, how large the plants are, etc...

I can't tell where you are, but I suspect somewhere in south Texas...

Learn about Reclaim.... this works . I've almost completely eradicated an infestation of 3 to 18 ft high mesquite on 200plus acres... took years to do and I still have beans sprouting... you will too...

If you use mechanical control.. unless you PULL all the roots, they will come back from the roots.

If you have larger mesquite, you can use it for BBQ and recover some of the removal expense. If you have VERY large mesquite... 2 feet in radius or larger, it is furniture grade and people will PAY a lot to harvest it.

Suggest you do a detailed google type search " mesquite brush removal texas" . Texas A&M has some good articles/info on the net about demonstration projects.

The beans continue to sprout as long as 15 years...so, be prepared for an annual battle.

/ Clearing Huisache and Mesquite #5  
I probably not going to be much help. I met a fellow from Nixon, TX. last February. He makes all kinds of items out of Mesquite. Nice wood to make kitchen and BBQ tools out of. Do not think he needs any for his projects. he claims that his property is loaded with the stuff.:rolleyes:

/ Clearing Huisache and Mesquite #6  
ronjhall said:
I probably not going to be much help. I met a fellow from Nixon, TX. last February. He makes all kinds of items out of Mesquite. Nice wood to make kitchen and BBQ tools out of. Do not think he needs any for his projects. he claims that his property is loaded with the stuff.:rolleyes:

So, Ron, are you saying the guy is eliminating Mesquite one toothpick holder at a time?;)

/ Clearing Huisache and Mesquite #7  
jinman said:
So, Ron, are you saying the guy is eliminating Mesquite one toothpick holder at a time?;)
Yep. ;) Don't forget the steak turners and ice picks. :D
He was buring it in his BBQ also. Sure is a nice smell.

/ Clearing Huisache and Mesquite #8  
There are 2 ways to attack it. Chemical and mechanical. Recommend using both.

The fastest and probably best way is to have a large dozer (D7 on up) root plow it. A root plow is a horizontal steel bar that will be pulled about a foot underground. It totally disrupts the tree's root system and then they can be pushed into big piles for burning.

The Reclaim method is slow. If I remember, you mix a qt of reclaim with 3qts of diesel and spray a bit at the base where the branches come off of the root crown. The problem with this is thorns. I've been told you can saw the stuff off at ground level and then apply the reclaim. Reclaim cost about $100 per gallon when I bought it 4 years ago.

/ Clearing Huisache and Mesquite #9  
I agree with the "grubing" idea, thats what we did.
A 6 way blade on a dozer got most of it and made great burn piles. After he grubed, he smoothed out the spots and I stayed on top of the regrowth, which was mush less then I anticipated.

I suppose I could have treated the regrowth with chemicals but I just shredded the pasture several times in conjuction with controlled burning and grazing.

I've seen the pastures around west Texas that have used aerial spray and alway wondered how they would deal with all those dry, hard thorns.

/ Clearing Huisache and Mesquite
Thanks for all of the great replies guys. I grew up around this stuff and I guess I forgot how determined these two types could be when it comes time for removal. I could remember as a kid that we never really had this sort of problem but now it seems to be everywhere. I believe root plowing seems to be an atractive route to go, seeing as how the State will help pay for a substantial amount of it. There is a program folks around here have been talking about, not sure what it's called but when I find out I'll be sure and post it. Texas John, I'm located in the metropolis of Berclair.