Weed Help!!

/ Weed Help!! #1  

gamble77

Veteran Member
Just moved into the new house about 2-months ago. I am having a problem in my front yard with the sod we laid. When we originally laid it we failed to address a drainage issue in one part of the yard and it rained heavily about a week later, that grass there is very "patchy". It is centiped (spelling) grass and the front yard is in the sun for most of the day. I am having problems with weeds popping up everywhere and I am tired of leaning over and plucking them up every day.

I am not very up on this stuff, isn't there some type of seed or lime I can throw out with a walk behind spreader to control the weeds? There are too many of them to spray with a hand held weed spray. I have heard that once you start cutting your grass it will help control them as well...BUT I haven't cut my grass yet because I was told to let the centiped really take root and grow 4-5" or so before the first cut. Any advice would be appreciated bucause I am tired of seeing them in my yard!

/ Weed Help!! #2  
Well you can spray weed-be-gone(glyophosphate?), available in most garden departments, over the entire lawn, which will attack only the broadleaf weeds(may not be the best thing for a new lawn though). Or use a granular fertilizer with weed control from your drop/rotary spreader. You put this down when the lawn is damp, such as in the morning with dew still on, and the grains, stick to the broadleaf weeds and kill them. Again, you need to check how this aplication may effect your new lawn.

I have a pull behind sprayer, and when the dandelions first come up, I spray everything with 2-4D(basically same as weed-be-gone). later, if any missed the first spray, I mix up the same formula in a 3 gallon, pump-up hand sprayer, and walk around and spot spray with that. You might be surprised how much you can easilly cover with that type of spot sprayer. If it were me in your situation, I would probably use the 3 gallon hand sprayer and just start spot sprayng the individual weeds with weed-be-gone. After a week, the hit ones will be curled and dead, and any ones missed will be readilly apparent. I do this from time to time around my 7.5 acres attacking Nettles and weeds and dandelions. I fill up a 3 gallon batch and go for a walk.

Good luck

/ Weed Help!! #3  
Just to avoid confusion, glyphospate is the active ingredient in Round-up and is a non-selective herbicide (meaning it will kill your lawn along with the weeds). I don't know what the active ingredient in Weed-B-Gone is off the top of my head, but it's probably not glyphosphate and thus, the advice above is sound.
I usually do a granular weed and feed in the spring and then spot spray with 24D or a Weed-B-Gone premix like product as weeds pop up. It is also true that mowing will help a lot- the grass (once it's established) can take the mowing but the weeds generally can't.

/ Weed Help!! #4  
ive used general broad leaf weed spays for years for "spot treatment" and it works really well at killing most weeds and leaving the lawn.

i use a pump sprayer and go around and spray the weeds. in heavyly infested areas ill do my best to spray the entire area. otherwise its a squirt hear and there on the weeds.

a couple of applications a few weeks apart at beginning and middle of the year will go a long way.

/ Weed Help!! #5  
I like the "Weed-be Gone" that you connect to your water hose and let it meter itself. I have had good luck with this as a "broadcast" treatment.

/ Weed Help!! #6  
anojones said:
Just to avoid confusion, glyphospate is the active ingredient in Round-up and is a non-selective herbicide (meaning it will kill your lawn along with the weeds). I don't know what the active ingredient in Weed-B-Gone is off the top of my head, but it's probably not glyphosphate and thus, the advice above is sound.
I usually do a granular weed and feed in the spring and then spot spray with 24D or a Weed-B-Gone premix like product as weeds pop up. It is also true that mowing will help a lot- the grass (once it's established) can take the mowing but the weeds generally can't.

Yep, you are exactly right. I was spraying with both this weekend and was thinking/associating glyophosphate with the weedbegone for some reason... Anything with glyophosphate in it will kill just about everything green in the lawn that it touches.

/ Weed Help!! #7  
Western said:
I like the "Weed-be Gone" that you connect to your water hose and let it meter itself. I have had good luck with this as a "broadcast" treatment.

That's the way I do it, too. I've always used Ortho Weed B Gon, but I've heard so much about 2,4-D that I recently bought a bottle of Amine 400 2,4-D, but haven't used any of it yet. And I use the same kind of sprayer for MSMA for the crabgrass and dalisgrass.

/ Weed Help!! #8  
I know the 2-4-D works real well on Sawbriar this time of year.

/ Weed Help!! #9  
2,4,d works well for broadleaf weeds like dandelions ... won't kill clover, slows it down a bunch but it doesn't kill it (at least not a 'normal' application rates). Whenever I seed a new area I let the grass get a good start and then spray with 2,4,d to kill off the broadleaf weeds, once the grass fills in the broadleaf weeds don't get a foothold... usually takes two applications.

/ Weed Help!! #10  
2-4-D for two and a half gallons is around 30 dollars. Two and a half gallons should be enough to last you for years if your lawn is not too large. Mix it at a 2 ounce per gallon of water, and spray away. You can pull weeds, buy the expensive weed and feed....or simply buy the 2-4-D, mix it up in your sprayer and have a wonderful time.

Having grown up with a hoe in my hand....I realized there is a god when I discovered the joys of 2-4-D, and also Roundup.