"Out of area" phone calls

/ "Out of area" phone calls #1  

coachgrd

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1870
Anyone else get these type of calls where the caller ID says "out of area." I answer and no-one is there? Any idea what these calls are?

/ "Out of area" phone calls #2  
I think they are a telemarketing company using an autodialer. When you pick up, it routes your call to a person, but it is delayed. Sometimes, I think the machine malfunctions or there is nobody to pick up.

I like to wait until someone answers and then I don't say anything. After they say, "Hello?" two or three times, I say, "Irritating isn't it?" and hang up.:D I always see these calls as an opportunity to have fun.

/ "Out of area" phone calls #3  
I always see these calls as an opportunity to have fun.------------so does Bernice .....she figures if they want to use up her time - she'll use up their's...it only costs them money. She generally acts like a genuine moron asking them to explain even the simplest things --several times. Or she comes up with fantastic story lines ...like asking Owen Mills if their free picture includes the WHOLE family -- all 33 of them ...no it's 34 since the twins were separated! .....

/ "Out of area" phone calls
Yah, I kinda assumed it was some sort of telemarketer (despite having registered under the "Do Not Call List.") As I said, the weird thing is there's never anyone there, and I've waited 3-4-5 seconds. I think I'll wait them out a little longer as you guys suggested and then have some fun.

I like the *pause*........................................................irritating, isn't it?"

I bet we get 2-3 of these a week.

/ "Out of area" phone calls #5  
mikim said:
I always see these calls as an opportunity to have fun.------------so does Bernice .....she figures if they want to use up her time - she'll use up their's...it only costs them money. She generally acts like a genuine moron asking them to explain even the simplest things --several times. Or she comes up with fantastic story lines ...like asking Owen Mills if their free picture includes the WHOLE family -- all 33 of them ...no it's 34 since the twins were separated! .....

I think you meant Olan Mills, sure brings back memories. It was over 45 years ago when I was working in the Post Office in Dallas from 9:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. One of my co-workers kept getting calls from Olan Mills that would wake him up during the day, so he did a bit of research and found the home phone number of one of their managers. And about 2 a.m. one morning, he called that manager, gave his name, explained that he did NOT want to buy any pictures, but that since Olan Mills' employees were too dumb to understand that, he had decided to contact a manager, and that each time he got a call during the day, he would call that manager at 2 a.m. again. He didn't get any more calls.:D

/ "Out of area" phone calls #6  
If I get a real person on the phone, then I ask them to hold and put down the phone. I'll check it awhile later, but they are always gone. My little joke is to waste their time as long as possible.

Most of the time I get the same thing, or it's a recording congratulating me for something that I've won. I just hang up the second I hear a recording or there's nobody there.

Eddie

/ "Out of area" phone calls #7  
When I get those calls, I like to hand the phone to my 5yr old and let him play along. :D

/ "Out of area" phone calls #8  
most are auto dialers that will dial 2,3,4? 'x' number of calls at one time, it then "picks up" the first line that answers and drops the others (as it cant route 3,4,5 whatever simultaneous calls)

/ "Out of area" phone calls #9  
I like the ideas posted above.... especially the "................... irritating, isn't it?".

Many times when we get these calls , it's an automatic hang-up as soon as we pick up the receiver. I seem to remember learning that those calls are also machine generated but only looking to find out when a person is normally home or not. Dunno know if that's true or the machine has successfully connected some other poor soul and now doesn't need me. It doesn't seem to matter whether we pick up after a couple of rings or a dozen... it's still a hang-up.

Of course, many times "out of area" or "800-xxx-xxxx" don't get answered at all. They eventually stop.

And for anyone with Dish Network that doesn't already know this: you can "enable" the option in system setup (check the box) so that the caller id is displayed at the top of the TV screen.

Phil

/ "Out of area" phone calls #10  
With the whole do not call thing I believe _not_ having a number displayed is illegal. ... for telemarketers or businesses anyway.

As for the comment about autodialers disconnecting calls. Most are 'predictive' these days... it adjusts how many it calls it makes based on how many calls are being answered, how long the calls are lasting, how many reps are available etc. etc. Probably unlikely to see many calls getting randomly dropped by autodialers.

If it says 'out of area' I simply wouldn't answer it, eventually your number will drop out of the call lists sent to the dialers (if that is what is calling you).

Could be your number is mis-programmed into some automatic system somewhere and it is expecting a tone or something... probably gonna go on a while if that is the case.