Plumbing lines to new shop

/ Plumbing lines to new shop #1  

GarthH

Silver Member
Hi all

Spring has almost made our area; still cool at night tonight is suppose to be in the 30's

I'm renting a small Bobcat 331E backhoe next weekend to pull out some lyliacs other trees plus plan on running some lines to the location of the proposed shop.

I'm hoping to have a full bathroom in the shop. I planning on running sewer lines over the the shop and coming back into the basement of the house.

I'm just wondering what I should use for the sewer pipe 2", 3" or 4"?

In addition how much slope needs to be in the line? It's about 200' would a grade of 6" be enough?

Thank you again.

Garth

/ Plumbing lines to new shop #2  
I have always used 3" lines minimum inside a building for a toilet, and most places require 4" for outside lines.

I have used 1/4" per foot as the slope on a sewer, which would be 50" over 200'.

While I am certain it is possible to get away with less slope, and you might even be able to use a 3" line all the way, the fact that you are renting the backhoe to dig the trench tells me you should do it right the first time.

/ Plumbing lines to new shop #3  
Code and practice in Illinois would be 4" with 1/8" per ft of fall. Water has to be above sewer, or if not possible 10' horizontal separation.
3" and above = 1/8" per ft
Small than 3"=1/4" per ft
Here is some info.
Section 890

/ Plumbing lines to new shop #4  
Getting the correct pitch of 1/8" per foot over a 200' run can be challenging for a first timer.

Failing the first plan, another option, (if codes permit), might be a sump with an ejector pump? Then you could run a 2" line and the slope is not critical.

If your going to run a water line below the frost line, it is going to take some time to dig 200' with a small hoe. A trencher, (if you can find one big enough), would be much faster.

/ Plumbing lines to new shop #5  
ray66v said:
Getting the correct pitch of 1/8" per foot over a 200' run can be challenging for a first timer.

Failing the first plan, another option, (if codes permit), might be a sump with an ejector pump? Then you could run a 2" line and the slope is not critical.

If your going to run a water line below the frost line, it is going to take some time to dig 200' with a small hoe. A trencher, (if you can find one big enough), would be much faster.
I would think 200' of head is alot to ask of a ejector pump.

/ Plumbing lines to new shop #6  
It is only 200 feet of run, not 200' of head.

Actually, if code allows a second, small septic system near the shop, that might be a better answer than 200' of sewer line, especially if the natural grade of the land is against you.

/ Plumbing lines to new shop #7  
CurlyDave said:
It is only 200 feet of run, not 200' of head.

Actually, if code allows a second, small septic system near the shop, that might be a better answer than 200' of sewer line, especially if the natural grade of the land is against you.

You are correct. I'll have to get the head for 200'. looked at average ejector pump ( little Giant ) it's 4800 gal per hour. so head would still be significant.

Last edited:
   / Plumbing lines to new shop
Thank you for your thoughts. I've had an opportunity to look closer at the plan. If I move a couple sheds out of the way I could cut the run to about 125'. The bad news though I think the area is lower than the house - likely a foot or more. My plan is to come in the bottom of the basement which will be close to the frost line - I don't know if there can be much of a grade and still be below the frost line.
Do you thing a sewage pump could run down 6' and then laterally for 125'?
Maybe the best decision is to dig in a septic tank.

I can likely still run water and power out to the shop. I need to talk to the plumber to see if I can run a line for natural gas out.

I have a large roll of 2" PVC. Will the code allow running each service in a different PVC run?

Garth

/ Plumbing lines to new shop #9  
Garth, would be best to talk to your plumber. Local codes are different. Here you would have to put in a separate tank anyway.
Like I say about codes, I have a two days of CEU's for plumbing codes this week.

/ Plumbing lines to new shop #10  
since you should probably be under frost line the whole way, I don't think you are going to make it with that trench. I'd put a new septic in, easier digging frankly, especially if you are still allowed to do leaching pits out there.

4" line for septic to my mind. Are plugs really something you'll enjoy dealing with? And put in cleanouts!