lagoons

/ lagoons #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
How long does it take for a lagoon to form a crust on top? We will be here a year in Oct. 2008. There is still no crust as yet. We have had a lot of rain, would this interfere with it forming a crust? I was told you need the crust to make it work. Ours looks like just a plain old pond no smells at all, just kind of a little green tint to it. But no crust. How does that work? Also we get some wild onions growing in it.

/ lagoons #3  
Lagoons don't form crusts....at least none of the working ones I've seen. A working septic lagoon looks just like a pond, and for the most part, smells like a pond, too. You're probably going to catch some grief here from people who think a septic lagoon is just like an old cess pool. I have a friend who inspects new lagoons in this county (mid Missery). They are pretty strict about size, volume and proper location relative to property lines and water ways and such, and if a lagoon is properly sized and well constructed it can be much less trouble than a septic tank and just as effective at handling waste, without smelling or even being an eyesore, though they do have to be fenced. In the absence of suitable soil perk, they can also be about the only economically reasonable way to handle waste. No crust....looks like a pond....often they are very much like the trendy wetlands used to treat some municipal waste, though they can't have an outflow!

Chuck

/ lagoons #4  
I'm with Chuck on this one.
no Crust and no smell = good!

we put a holding tank between the house and lagoon because it doubles the life expectancy of the lagoon - ie the number of years you can go before you have to sludge the bottom of it out.
one thing to watch for is cattails - they can choke a lagoon to death - but you can buy an additive for the lagoon to prevent their growth, too.

/ lagoons #5  
Reminds me of something...

Attachments

• Creature-from-the-Black-Lagoon-Posters.jpg
    Creature-from-the-Black-Lagoon-Posters.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 91
   / lagoons #6  
Lagoons are usually constructed with steep sides to help keep cattail growth down. Because of the steep sides there is no easy way for animals, and humans to escape if they were to fall in, hence the requirement for a fence.

/ lagoons #7  
So does all the waste from the house go into a sewage lagoon or just the fluids? Seems like if soil perc was the problem then having a septic tank to hold the solids and then allowing the liquid to go to a pond instead of a leech field would be better. A tank is easier to clean out than a pond I would think.

How are the ponds cleaned out? :eek:

Later,
Dan