Live & Learn

/ Live & Learn #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
Anyone bought a Ford truck lately?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif For some inexplicable reason, my wife never has liked the '81 F250 I've been using the last five and half years/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif, and I'll have to admit it was getting a bit ragged, and she's been fussing at me to get one "with a back seat". So last week, I noticed a clean '99 F150 Supercab on the local dealer's lot, and since I don't expect to do much (if any) trailer towing in the future, I'm more concerned with comfort, safety, convenience, and economy and it has the little V-6 engine, tilt wheel, cruise control; i.e., everything we need, so I had a talk with the salesmen - about 6 hours worth./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I started out the front door 3 times, and actually left and came home once and they called me, each time they talked me into coming back by sweetening the deal a little, even though I told them early on what my maximum was. Well, they finally got down to what I'd told them, and threw in a couple of very minor additions, and I finally bought it.

Now I haven't kept up with the changes in the vehicles in a few years, so when I finalized the deal and they handed me the key, it was already after the service department had closed for the day and they said they only had one key. No problem; just stop at K-mart and get spare keys made, right? Hmm, if I ever heard of Securilock, I'd forgotten it. The key has a chip in it and no other key will start the engine, so apparently the only place you can get a spare key is a Ford dealer; $40-45 for the key plus $60-65 for programming it plus sales tax./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Oh well, like I said, live & learn.

/ Live & Learn #2  
Wow, I didn't know that feature had made it to the trucks. I thought only the higher end cars had it.

Jeff

/ Live & Learn #3  
Bird,
My 01 Explorer had the same type of key. My manual said you buy the key then program it yourself by using the original key in the ignition then using the new key in a certain sequence. I forgot the exact steps as I traded it in with less than 4,000 mile on it cause it was nothing but problems.(not the key /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif, lots of mechanical problems)

/ Live & Learn #4  
I have a 97 Ford Taurus without secure-lock and a 98 with it. I always suspected there would be a high cost for the replacement keys, but never wanted to be shocked, so didn't ask. Still, have the original spare, which hasn't been used. I wonder if it actually reduces the number of thefts? Do all vehicles come with these days?

This is minor in comparison to the other problems I've had with these cars. Last year, my wife's car (1997), blew the head gasket and all the anti-freeze ran through the engine bearings, and trashed it. It was the standard 3.0 liter, with only 62K miles. Ford wanted $3K+ to replace the engine and offered no cost sharing. My cousin was able to find a 98 engine with 38K miles, and replaced it for $1K. Hope to trade it in this year and get a different car.

We had other Fords including, Taurus without major problems. Due to this problem, plus other issues, and how Ford has responded, I will not be purchasing another Ford.

I'll quit, before I really get on the soap box!

/ Live & Learn #5  
Bird,
The owners manual details how to program a new key......but you have to have BOTH original keys. Otherwise you need to visit the dealer service department to get another one to work. Thats what I was told by the local Ford dealer anyway.

/ Live & Learn #6  
$45 for a key? Cheap! Audi switchblade keys cost $180-$200. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif Just the cut key costs about $60... doesn't do anything but open the doors and start the car.

/ Live & Learn #7  
Sheesh...and I was royally pissed when I found out that my car key had to come from Germany and cost twelve whole dollars. After hearing this I feel lucky. Well sort of...getting the feeling that new technolgy can get entirely out of hand?/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Live & Learn
Yep, Wally, you can just buy a key and program it yourself (the owner's manual) has the instructions if you have two working keys to start with as Inspector507 said. But if you only have one . . . the dealer makes money. And what would be different about having two keys is beyond me. Of course when I get a second key, I'll also be getting a third one to try the owner programming instructions./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Live & Learn
Jerry, if I understand the manual right, you don't have to have both "original" keys, but you do have to have two working keys in order to program a third one yourself. The salesman has called the original owner who said he "thought" his wife dropped off that other key at the dealership a day or so after they traded it in, but that he would check to see if she might still have it in her purse. So maybe I'll get it yet, and maybe I'll just have to pay for a couple of keys.

/ Live & Learn
Muhammad, I knew there was a reason I never wanted an Audi./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

<font color=blue>doesn't do anything but open the doors and start the car</font color=blue>

Even the K-mart keys I had made will open the door, unlock the tailgate, fit in the ignition, and even make the starter spin the motor; just won't start the engine./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif