First time sheep owner needs advise

/ First time sheep owner needs advise #1  

ctpres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400HST
Does anyone know if salt in water after water softener treatment is good or bad for sheep or cattle. Already using it for sheep (it was shortest pipe run) and now adding water for cattle in another pasture. If I need to change to the well water-now is the time.

/ First time sheep owner needs advise #2  
Animals will want to have a salt lick anyway.. though i certaintly would'nt want to 'waste' softened water on the animals.. since it consumes your water softner expendables much faster.. etc.

soundguy

/ First time sheep owner needs advise #3  
Probably get heck for this, but what the hay.

Recently had to change over a couple richies to softened water instead of straight well water. The animals took a bit but seem to like it better and are not drinking out of the pond any more. The valves and such are looking better and do not seem to need to be cleaned as often, plus the tanks as well. Now this is not a large operation by any means at all but so far the switchover seems to have been all for the better and have not noticed that much more salt usage. I guess the well water was that bad that they were not getting used to it.

/ First time sheep owner needs advise #4  
I did read a while ago not do do this for horses - hard water is fine for them. I don't remember where I read it but googleing a bit should get you buckets of info.