Septic or Composting?

/ Septic or Composting? #1  

TomG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1710: Loader, Hoe, Snowblower, Box scrapper & 3ph Forks
Anybody know about composting toilets? I noted my permit and inspector trials in redoing our hunt camp in another post. The permit stuff is too much, so we're going without a septic system. The sewerage disposal alternatives seem to be: a biffy (outhouse), chemical, cesspool and composting.

The chemical and cesspool alternatives require pumping and off-site disposal--not really appealing. The biffy alternative requires maintenance and purposeful walks down the path in the middle of the night. Suppose we could put in moon glow lights, which seems more than a little weird. It's probably better than off-site disposal, but it's the sort of thing my folks spent half their lives getting away from.

Composting toilet--the ones that use peat moss? Maybe. They aren't cheap. The electric ones don't require an emergency liquid overflow drain (Can't have a emergency drain without an 800 gallon septic system. A 6'x8' leeching pit isn't good enough--love these regulations). The advertising pamphlets say odorless, but the health inspector says otherwise. They don't work in the winter unless heated.

Comments appreciated from anybody who has used these things or know how well they work. Are the ones with electric ventilation actually odorless? Do they actually work to their advertised capacity if left unheated most of the winter?

Thanks.

/ Septic or Composting? #2  
I have a bucket with a toilet seat on it that I crap in at my property. I use a mix of cedar and pine sawdust from the sawmill down the road, and as long as I cover any sight of feces it has never smelled. Mind you this is a one man operation and I use it only a couple times a week. But I have been pretty impressed with the lack of smell.

A hunting camp with 5 grown men blowing it up every morning might be a whole other story.

/ Septic or Composting? #3  
I'm sorry I can't answer the question about smell...I do happen to own one of the water less models seen here: Envirolet Composting Toilets – Envirolet USA

It's actually for sale...it had been installed in an old cabin we bought...the original owner said it worked good for their needs...we installed a septic tank and regular toilet...

/ Septic or Composting? #4  
are you sure there wasn't already a septic system there that was built 50 years ago that you just need to clean up a little to use again? if not, could you look a little harder and find it? There is always an old system there that hasn't been used in decades that all you have to do is fix a few things and use it again. I would look again if you cant find it, and keep looking and looking

/ Septic or Composting? #5  
The family farm out in the sticks always did and still uses an outhouse. We also used an outhouse for the family business for customers. You never have to worry that the toilet won't flush and the scenery changes when you move it.

/ Septic or Composting? #6  
You could get you one of those Turd Burners they use up in Alaska

/ Septic or Composting? #7  
Youtubers like Gone With The Wynns tried one out along with a few other full-time RVers. A friend of mine put one in his new 40' Hitch Hiker (he's since sold that rv) and he and his wife full-time.

/ Septic or Composting? #8  
I would definitely recommend an outhouse. Low maintenance - never any plumbing problems. Just dig a new hole and move the outhouse as required.

If you are one of those who bought a backhoe along with your 1710 - this is justified work for that backhoe. Otherwise - get all the hunters together and man the shovels. The deeper you go - the longer it lasts.

/ Septic or Composting? #9  
Shucks even today U need a permit to build an outhouse.
It needs to meet all sort of specs and also needs a permit to do so.
Guess that's modern way.
Next that outhouse will need a computerized readout to warn U to have it pumped out.
Mind U cow farts contribute to more global warming than your outhouse.

At that with today's bylaws that outhouse will need a by annual pumping to meet municipal requirements.

/ Septic or Composting? #10  
If you decide to go with the privy/outhouse...don't forget the Styrofoam ring...it will keep the seat from freezing to your ***...:D