Homemade small wood stove

/ Homemade small wood stove #1  

Skyco

Elite Member
I'm looking to weld up a small wood stove for shack/cabin heat. Don't want to spend a bunch on a commercial stove and I want it smaller than most any I've seen. Something along these lines-Cabela's Sheepherder's Stoves but I'm not concerned with packability since I won't be carrying it anywhere once built.
Any ideas or plans or magic dimensions anyone knows about? Or should I just start fabbing/welding?:D

/ Homemade small wood stove #2  
Good Afternoon Skyco,
I would keep it small, try using at least 1/8" thk steel plate. You might think about some raised grates along with an ash pan door under the loading door. I might suggest some fire brick around the outside edges also to help maintain the heat in your firebox ! ;)

/ Homemade small wood stove #3  
I'd look for a piece of sch 40 black pipe the size of stove you want.

/ Homemade small wood stove
Thanks for the input guys- I actually had considered a piece of large pipe as well..I have some plate steel laying around and I'd have to go junkyarding to find the pipe but that is a possibility. Used to be a great junkyard/scrap metal place here that one could wander around in and browse*. Unfortunately I think they don't allow that anymore, a real shame. Probably got sued when someone stubbed a toe or something:cool:

* Some years back they had a huge pile of iron balls from a ball mill at the former goldmine in the area. I bought a couple then buried them in the backyard for the kids to find as civil war cannonballs..hee hee;)

/ Homemade small wood stove #5  
Along the junkyard lines, a portable air tank or compressor tank would make a pretty nice stove. So would the right sized surplus propane tank(s), with the appropriate pre cut/weld precautions of course. These pressure vessels are all heavy walled and can usually be had for next to nothing at the scrap yards. I bought a 7 gallon portable air tank at the local scrap yard a few months ago to make a fuel tank for my generator, think I paid $1.50 for it.

I have always liked the pot belly stove design that you can feed in longer sticks from the top. A tall propane cylinder(or two smaller ones welded end to end) or an air compressor tank stood on end would work pretty well for this IMO. They also take up less floor space in a small cabin.

Now the tank idea is a good one:D Don't know why I hadn't thought of that yet:confused: Thanks!

/ Homemade small wood stove #7  
The tank Idea sounds good to me.:D :D

Just for contemplation; Solid fuel marine stoves used to come in some pretty small sises. The site shown will show one that really looks nice.

SARDINE STOVE INFO & SPECS.

Yeah that does look nice! for $1200 it better:D

/ Homemade small wood stove #9  
Skyco,

I made a 12" x 12" by 18 deep stainless steel camp stove out of 0.089" sheet. I used a 4" flue. The neat part was I built an auto draft control out of an old flue temp guage. They have a bi-metal spring that "coils or un-coills" depending on the heat. The stove temp stays constant untill the wood is gone.

But, I do like the tank idea the others have mentioned. Even cutting an old water heater down.

Patrick T