building a "Pretty" Barn

/ building a "Pretty" Barn #1  

gmason

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC35D4
building a \"Pretty\" Barn

Ok, I havn't caved into this idea yet but I told her I'd investigate the options.
I'm in the planning process of building a pole barn, I've got the poles and a pretty good idea for this 40x30 barn on our 8ac property.
The problem is that my wife/forman has some ideas about what she wants the outside of the barn to look like. ie. NOT A BARN...
She laid on on me the other night saying that she wanted to have the part of the barn facing the house and the drive to be BRICK!! Now I wasn't thinking about just slapping some tin up on it anyway, but brick is going too far. She doesn't want just any old lap siding either, although I think that once it gets that nice grey weathered look, it's pretty in my opinion.

Does anyone out here have a picture they can post of their Pretty barn for my wife. She want something that blends into the trees and wood surounding the barn, so a pretty RED barn is out.
What other options for materials do I have for "siding" my barn?? Any ideas?

thanks
gary

/ building a "Pretty" Barn #2  
Re: building a \"Pretty\" Barn

I know you're building your own barn, but if you visit <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mortonbuildings.com/MortonBuildings.htm>Morton Buildings</A>, you'll find all kinds of pictures of barns, sheds, etc. that use a variety of types of building materials. You, and your wife, should get some good ideas from these. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ building a "Pretty" Barn #3  

My "pretty" barn

/ building a "Pretty" Barn #4  

<font color=blue>My "pretty" barn</font color=blue>

Well it blends in so well it's invisible!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ building a "Pretty" Barn #5  
Re: building a

Try this.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.miracletruss.com/color_sel.html>http://www.miracletruss.com/color_sel.html</A>

/ building a "Pretty" Barn

Thanks to all who thus far have replied, one catch is that our very small covenants doc says no metal roofs. Siding... I'm not sure...maybe.

Has anyone used the PVC type roofing materail?

/ building a "Pretty" Barn #7  

Your wife my wife's long lost twin sister? /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ building a "Pretty" Barn #8  

Think there must be something about wives and barns. We have a barn on our list of projects but it won't even become a serious topic until a design is found that looks "nice". The "barn" look does not qualify. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif The ideal would be an older style carriage house but need the ceiling clearance and don't want to build a structure that costs as much as a house.

/ building a "Pretty" Barn #9  

Boy Gary, brick front façade and no metal roof or siding and your barn just became a big ($) project. You may need to start looking at convention stick framing rather than pole barns. A brick face is going to require a footing and lap siding will need more nailing surface than the normal pole structure with poles on 8’ centers. If you can’t use a metal roof you are going to have to sheath it with ply or OSB and that is going to call for trusses every 2 feet. I have seen communities with covenants saying no metal roofs that were OK with the nicer enameled metal panels. Any chance of a variance to get around the covenants?

MarkV

/ building a "Pretty" Barn #10  
Re: building a

O.K. There have been enough comments about how the wives want the barns to look, that I should mention there was a thread about pretty much this very topic. I should know - I started it. My wife and I are planning on building our "Compound, and I was told that all of the buildings would match the looks of the house - including the barn. We're planning on building the barn first, with the living quarters above until the house gets done.

Anyway, there were a lot of responses and links that dealt with the looks of barns. Here's the link if anyone wants to revisit it - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=rural&Number=123809&fpart=1>Living In A Barn?</A>