How do you burn piles?

/ How do you burn piles? #1  

SCRich

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
I have burned several piles here at the house after some logging operations but not many of them. I have a specific place to do it where there is NO fuel on the ground for quite a distance and the entire area is about 1.5 acres large. I am not looking to burn a 30ft pile down but about 3-4 pick up truck bed sizes in a single pile.

What are your suggestions for a good strong burn? I have been covering the ground with the pine branches along with the needles, like a bed. Then I toss a few smaller logs and any left over burned pieces of wood that I use like charcoal. On top of that I add the larger logs but I have learned the hard way anything longer than 4 ft does not seem to want to burn very well. I'll drench it in 60/40 diesel/gasoline as I layer but my layers usually take a week or two with rain inbetween so I don't think it helps much.

The burns I have done do well but seems to need a LOT of tending to so I can get a clean burn where little chunks of wood are left behind. I find myself walking into the coal beds moving things about with gloves or using the grapple which I don't like to use very much due to the hoses and tires getting too close to the coals.

/ How do you burn piles? #2  
I slop on a little charcoal starter, let it soak in and hit it again in a small area opposite the windy side and use a propane weed scorcher to get it going. Once it goes I don't leave until it is way down. Wind shouldn't exceed about 5 mph. Most of the time I do it when snow is on the ground. Also check your local regs for ability to burn, permits etc.
I have found that the wood will burn even wet once the fire temp gets up there. The wind is important, I had a neighbor whose barn burnt down and the fire department traced it over to a brush pile a mile away. :eek:

/ How do you burn piles? #3  
I burn a ton of brush and limbs. I have found that these things work best:
I put down a large chunk of card board on the ground, this catches the starting agent.
Then I put all of my brush on top of it, I usually do not get to it for a week or 2, so it has started to dry out.
Next, I build it about 8x8 or so and about 6' high, but as I stack it I compact it with my fel.
I start the fire with some used motor oil. It can take a little to get going but some newspaper will usually get the fire going about 10" or so.
I then take my leaf blower and force the fire into the center.
Then it burns fast!
I take all my other piles and push them into the fire with the fel the rest of the day. This method I have bured up half a football fields worth of brush in one day.
The key is to load up the fire and then squash it with the fel, it burns fast and hot after that.
Before the tractor I used to load by hand, but with the tractor I can really clear up some brush, it has to be 4 or 5 times quicker.

Dave

/ How do you burn piles? #5  
Iron Horse said:
Leave your tractor in the sun and then sit on it's black seat .:D
Funny, I was going to sugget a curling iron.

Wedge

/ How do you burn piles? #6  
I will second the use of the leaf blower when you are getting the fire going. Same principal a blacksmith uses to stoke their fire up to temp. Once it is going good you can burn about anything.

MarkV

/ How do you burn piles? #7  
I burn allot of trees. ALLOT!!! I've found that a few small things make a huge difference. For full sized trees, cut them into four pieces and let sit a week or two. If yo don't cut the truck with a chainsaw, it will take months for them to dry out enough to burn well.

To start the fire, I've found that paper works better then just about anything. I will create an area on the burn pile that I can get a good fire going with paper and build it up with small stuff until I get a decent sized fire going. Once it's feeding itself, I can build it up and let it spread.

Once it's going full force, I leave it alone, but will come back with the FEL to move it around when it dies down. Some of my fires will last for weeks and even through 1 inch rains!!!! If I have a fire going that strong, then I can just add anything to it and it will burn. Full sized pines are the toughest to get started due to their moisture content and bark, but with a good coal bed, they will burn right up.

I spent allot of money on diesel with very poor results. Newspapers are the very best material for starting a fire in my opinion.

Eddie

/ How do you burn piles? #8  
Most of my burns were about the size you are doing. I would make sure the ground was clear. I had no water source when I was burning but I would keep shovels and rakes close at hand. The tractor had a full tank of fuel, was started and not turned off until the pile had burned down so that no ashes were flying. I would put the FEL on the ground and "stir" up the fire when it had burned down to try to burn as much as possible.

Never did think of using the leaf blower to start.

Burn permits were required for what I was doing so I got one every time I planned to do a burn. But if the wind picked up no burn. I bet I pulled 3-4 permits for every one I actually used.

The last pile I burned took forever to start because it was wet. I ended up sleeping next to the fire all night to make sure it did not spread. I buried it the next day and it smouldered under the dirt for weeks even though we had quite a bit of rain after the burn.

I would try to burn after a rain front had come through since the ground would be wet and the winds would have died down. It was better if there was another front arriving in a few days to drop more rain. I always burned in the winter.

A chainsaw helment with a face guard helps keep the heat off of you when tending the edge of the fire. Chainsaw chaps also help.

Later,
Dan

/ How do you burn piles? #9  
Diesel does not work all by itself unless the piles are very dry. The first photo is my last diesel attempt. I only use it now if the fire needs a little extra kick since the diesel seems safe to apply to a burning fire. I now use a propane weed burner with excellent success. The propane is cheaper, doesn't pollute the ground, cleaner on your feet and the flame can be aimed at your kindling.

The second picture shows the weed burner principle. The wood is consumed very quickly with the blower and the smoke goes away making for a clean and quick burn.

Third picture is reloading the fire with the tractor on top of coals. I sit and watch the fire a lot with my machine ready to put out any rogue fires.

I tend to prefer either several small burn piles or one small fire which I reload as it burns down. Bad things can happen when you light an extremely large pile of slash on fire all at once. Even the pros that I have hired will have a fire and then feed it from the slash pile.

Attachments

• clear11.JPG
    clear11.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 261
  • shrunkburn2.JPG
    shrunkburn2.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 235
  • shrunkburn5.JPG
    shrunkburn5.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 241
   / How do you burn piles? #10  
Don't worry about the little chunks and sticks. Weeks later after the fire has died you can go through with the box blade to rake out any chunks and level the ash pile. Then brush mow the area which will take care of the leftovers that are too small to be collected, repiled, and burned. I've gotten permits for big fires and burned lots and lots of the pictured piles without permits. Be prepared with shovels, chainsaws, and your tractor to take care of little getaways. I've even "gasp" spit beer on a spot fire to put it out.

Notice on that third picture in the upper right that there is a tree with brown leaves. Well even high heat can kill those trees, no flame contact needed.

Plant grass seed and enjoy.