Thanks that the snake was in green green grass

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #31  
cityfarma said:
G'day Gotrocks. My concern was more a suggestion of what happened if someone claimed the snake was protected;) ;) "I was cleaning my gun and it went off!"

Likewise I am very careful with my rifle. In fact even when my daughter (army nurse and higher qualified for firearms than me) comes to practice, I hold the rifle when she checks the targets. In Australia we have very strict laws on firearms (and I agree with them!). Your license must have the serial number of the firearm on it. You are not allowed to borrow someone elses firearm unless it is noted on your license (slightly different for primary producers). It is also (theoretically) only possible to get a license if you have a need and place to use the firearm.

Cityfarma

In Czech the way it is now: you have to have license and every gun you own has to have a license. And licenses expire every five years or so. To buy a gun, you need to have purchasing permit issued to you by police.

I have to say I prefer the freedom of USA.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #32  
cityfarma said:
Firstly, my apologies for partially hijacking this thread. This is my last comment on the subject as a response to LMTC.

Australia has far fewer firearm deaths proportional to population. I have no problems with people who have a need to use a firearm, eg, farmers. I do not distrust my daughter (or other legal owners). I would loose my license if something goes wrong, ie, very (over?) cautious.

I could also comment on your first point re how long it took to join the rest of the world but won't as it further hijack the thread.

Now back to snakes....

City farmer

In Australia, the states are the ones who dictate firearms law. I live in Queensland, and our laws are NOT as restrictive as citifarma's in WA.

You still need a licence, and you have to do a safety course to get that licence. You apply for a class of licence, which you have a genuine need for.

IE, semi-autos and pump shotguns for farmers only.
Semi-auto shotguns for competition clay shooters who are disabled (can't reload a break).
Rimfire rifles (farmers, target shooting, hunting)
Centerfire rifles (farmers, target shooting, hunting).

I have a licence for rimfire rifles, shotguns and centerfire rifles. I can use my own firearms, or anyone elses (with permission) of the class I am licenced for.

You do need a permit to purchase firearms, and there is a waiting period of 28 days on your FIRST purchase.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #33  
gotrocks said:
Just happen to have the 22 along.

I'm always amazed when people use a rifle to shoot a snake. My mother used to follow, "There's a snake!" with "Get a hoe!":D I've used a shotgun many times and plinked at snakes with a 22 when I was a kid, but a stick or hoe is easily my preferred tool for sending the snake to belly-crawler heaven.;)

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #34  
copperheads arn't like other snakes, there born mad and never get over it!

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #35  
Has any one ever noticed that you can sometimes smell a copperhead? Some say they smell like a cucumber.

I just had a guy working on my place to do some dozer work. He said he killed 6 copperheads. He chased one down with the dozer to make sure it didn't get away.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #36  
Ridgewalker said:
Has any one ever noticed that you can sometimes smell a copperhead? Some say they smell like a cucumber.

I just had a guy working on my place to do some dozer work. He said he killed 6 copperheads. He chased one down with the dozer to make sure it didn't get away.

They sure will, find a nest and it will smell like wet leather.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #37  
Is it true they taste like chicken?

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #38  
kill-it and grill-it

yes, quite tasty, and that one looks fat enough to get a decent meal off of.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #39  
billbill1 said:
Who would care if Copperheads became extinct? I think any poison toting snake on your own property should be eliminated to protect your loved ones and animals. We have a bypass that has been held up for years in Lawrence, Ks. over some kind of frog that lives in the man-made wetlands to the south of town. Very liberal area, it's nuts (IMHO)

The poison Kansas death frog doesn't ring any bells. :confused:

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #40  
rox said:
I know nothing about guns, and I doubt I will ever own one. My uphill neighbor says he never saw a snake in 25 years however our cat caught a baby snake so it had to ahve parents and my hsuband say he say a huge snake while i was back in the states. What I do to protect myself is walk very heavy and I make a lot of noise will talk or sing a bit if off working by myelf.
Am I remembering this right? I thought in some cities off duty policmen/women are required to carry thier gun. I thought it was in Chicago. Guns scare me so it is a good thing we don't have any. One more point whihc also I may be incorect about but I seem to recal my mother saying why Japan never planned a land invasion of the US was because they knew a good portion the citizens were armed.

Hi Rox.
First, I would find out if there are any poisonous snakes in your area. If not, just let them live. You being a farmer would appreciate the job they do controlling vermin.;)