Thanks that the snake was in green green grass

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #1  

gotrocks

Platinum Member
Tractor
B-2910 delivered 8/23/01
Well folks, we've been here since '68 and just saw our first copperhead.
Thanks to the green green grass, my wife saw it just before stepping next to it on the way to the corn/pea patch.
Thank you Lord she did not get bitten, that along with chemo every 4 weeks would not have been good.
Those critters are almost invisible when among brown leaves and such.
I let water snakes and rat snakes and king snakes and the like go on about their business, but this little thing had his head up and ready to bite.
Just happen to have the 22 along.

copperhead 061708.jpg

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #2  
Copperhead? Reminds me of a song. The Ballard of Copperhead Road. It's a moonshine song. I live in NH,years ago.I was in Fla. at my father's house he had me stompin' the compost pile. Neighbor yelled at me to get out,guess snakes like the compost pile. My father failed to mention that. Hope your wife turns out well. plowking

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #3  
might want to be careful mentioning that you eliminated it as there may be people watching! it is not wise to say you did away with something on endangered species act! (not sure if they are there or not but they are here... lots of fines (all they want probably is the $) but can do jail time too!

mark

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #4  
GOOD SHOT!!!!! I was hoping to see his head, but you eliminated that possibilty.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #5  
SPIKER said:
might want to be careful mentioning that you eliminated it as there may be people watching! it is not wise to say you did away with something on endangered species act! (not sure if they are there or not but they are here... lots of fines (all they want probably is the $) but can do jail time too!

mark
HERE is the Ohio 2008 DNR endangered species list. I don't see copperheads on it.

Usually the best policy is to what you must to protect you and yours and abide by the three Ss....shoot, shovel, shutup.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #6  
While I was in high school, my mother had some flowers in pots down in the window wells at home, she reached in to get one out, and there he was. A nice fat copperhead. I actually caught it and kept it in a tightly woven wire cage my buddys grandpa made for me. After a few days I ended up wrapping the cage in a tarp and put it behind the exhaust of my moms old Volare station wagon and let it idle for about a half hour. Mr snake died, and I put a part of a toothpick in its mouth to prop it open and show the fangs. I put it in a big pickle jar and my bio. teacher put some formaldahyde in with it. She kept it for years after I graduated.
They are wicked little critters.
Pat

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #7  
I am impressed that you stayed calm and relaxed enough to clean your rifle. You should however make sure it is unloaded as you may accidently kill something if it accidently goes off!!;)

Cityfarma

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #8  
I seem to see a copperhead about once a year. If possible, I kill every one of them. A few years ago, my Mother In Law was driving down our driveway and saw one crossing the driveway. She sped up and ran it over with her car, then put it in reverse and did it again and again. She doesn't know how many times she ran it over, she just wanted to make sure that it never made it to her grandkids.

From what I've been told, they are either the dumbest snakes out there, or the meanest. Either way, they have a reputation of holding their ground when people and animals come close to them. Then they will attack if you get too close.

Never heard of them being protected or endangered. Must be in places where they are not so common like here in the south.

Eddie

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass
cityfarma said:
I am impressed that you stayed calm and relaxed enough to clean your rifle. You should however make sure it is unloaded as you may accidently kill something if it accidently goes off!!;)

Cityfarma

Good Day Mate,
(Is that proper greeting?:) )
Thanks for the warning/concern.
Actually I don't even carry the rifle with a round in the chamber.
In fact none of my weapons have rounds in the chamber until I put one there.

/ Thanks that the snake was in green green grass #10  
When my uncle was a little kid, he came out of the woods with a shoe box with 2 live copperheads in it! They never could figure out how he caught them without getting bit.