Our forest fire precautions

/ Our forest fire precautions #31  
Hello RedDirt,
Glad you reached Dave, but 2.5 hours is a long drive! The news about Barricade shelf life is helpful and reassuring.
If you are coming anytime soon and you have some extra time, PM me and I can have you over for lunch or meet you in Placerville if you have time.
Best
JR

/ Our forest fire precautions
Ronbo,
If I need to evacuate, for me, the tractor will go into the gel/foamed garage or shop. In fact I'll put the sailboat, motorcycle and other car & truck we can't drive off into protected buildings. I'm going to check this strategy with my local fire chief at my soonest opportunity but Dave, the Barricade dealer, agreed with me. Before I had the home foam protection resource I was going to leave them in the biggest clear spot I've got, our smallish lawn. But storing in the foam treated buildings has several benefits.

When fireman arrive and see the efforts we have gone through to protect our property and buildings they will give us better attention than say, someone that has done little or no protection and no amount of effort on their part would save that building. Secondly a well prepared and foam protected building is just as likely, or more likely, to survive a wild land fire than the tractor out in the open that is standing naked to the heat and firebrands. Thirdly the tractor out in the open causes the firemen to pay attention to it in addition to the structures and possibly divert resources from the structure should the tractor become threatening.

Of course there is the down side that should the shop get fully involved the tractor would add significantly to the volume of hazardous materials stored there. At that point though, with acetylene tank, paints, solvents, lubricants and an abundance of other flammable stuff the shop is a goner anyway.

Another option is to put them all on the lawn area and gel foam them. Yes, you can use Barricade foam on vehicles. Right now it would take a couple more gallons more foam than I have.

Hotwheels,
The drive to Placerville was worth it for the hour I got discussing fire protection strategies and options with Dave. I left with a Barricade home protection kit, an additional case of Barricade, a class A "Foam-Fast" kit w/optional 9gpm nozzle and a fitting I needed to tap my home hydrant system into the municipal hydrant at my property corner. I'm also adding an ebay 2.5in wye at the hydrant so I don't shut them out (and [hope] they don't shut me off). I also left thinking I should also be taking yet another case of Barricade and that cute little Honda booster pump he showed me. This is getting similar to owning a tractor...always something else that you "need".

Dave also recommended running a gallon of the Barricade for stock over three years. I questioned why a gallon and he said I wouldn't want to store a possible contaminated a partial gallon thinking it was good. Easy for him to justify...but I'm too cheap. I'll try transferring a quart into an empty container and draft out of that. The opened container will be my "test" batch for the next years and I'll mark it to use last should I ever need to deploy all the foam. He also recommended practicing to see pressures, coverage, method of application, etc. Good idea but again, at $60 a pop, I'll use a partial gallon.

I'm revising my ten and thirty minute evac procedures to include getting the Barricade and "A" foam units to the driveway so the firemen can use them. My time for attempting application myself doesn't occur until I have over 30 minutes. It's my prime effort on my two hour list while wife attends to other exposures.

Thanks for the invite, I don't get that way often. If I need to call on Dave again I'll certainly get in touch.

/ Our forest fire precautions #33  
Red Dirt; that gel sounds great. They do not seem to push much of it on the east coast. I guess just due to the fact our fires do not travel as fast as the ones out west. It is nice seeing the fire department offering as much advice. Also as a firefighter; it is nice to see homeowners educating themselves and helping make our job a little more simple. Especially with the evacuation plans. You have a nice set up there. The booster pump would be a nice addition but like you said it is like having a tractor. You always need something else.:D

/ Our forest fire precautions #34  
RedDirt,
Glad you made and have some protection! I am still working on the pump side of things ... I have been bogged down with work, so I hope to get the rest of my fire prep done next week and hope nothing happens in between. At least I have the Barricade and that is a help.

Ever thought about a pretreatment spray of retardant? It might be a waste of money since I have reasonable defensible space, but I am thinking through as many options as come up just to see how they fit my situation.

If you get this way again, I'll buy you lunch!
JR

/ Our forest fire precautions
charliepff,
I am impressed with the Barricade gel/foam. I had not heard of it until Hotwheels posted it although my wife knew just what I was talking about. She's known about it for a year or so. Go figure. If the need arises I hope I get enough time to deploy it; I'd feel much better about my prospects if the house and shop had a coat of foam applied before I left.

A downside of Barricade is when given the chance, authorities call for evacuation far in advance of eminent danger. I'm afraid the Barricade will likely loose it's effectiveness by the time it is needed.

The best protection is still defensible space. I'll spend some time this weekend fine tuning the "little stuff" like doing a better clean below the decks and house corners where firebrands can grab hold. I may make some tape-on covers for my foundation vents to keep them from blowing into the crawlspace.

Defensible space is also the first thing the firemen will look at when evaluating the commitment of their resources to save your home.

We're slated to get more lightening; probably tomorrow. My county still has 30 fires going, 7000 acres burned. Just north in Shasta county there are almost 150 fires still going with 30,000 acres burned this week.

It seems half the country is flooded this summer. But we cheered last night with the prospect of getting some "moisture". The weather guy said humidity was up to 23%!

Hotwheels,
Yeah, my work ramped up again too and quickly. I got a two day break that I stretched into two and a half. I'd rather be doing more fire prep.

I have not considered a retardant coating. I know nothing about it. Dave said they used a special fire resistant paint on their buildings. I may look into something like that next time I need to paint.

Your idea of timed sprinklers sounds inviting but to be effective the valves would need to be either mechanical or battery powered so they were not plugged into PG&E . Common landscape valves are 24vac, wonder if you can get a DC outfit and wire them to car batteries. The task becomes much more complicated (and way more expensive) if you would also need to turn on pumps.

I got in a quick visit with the local fire chief this afternoon. They don't use Barricade and when I mentioned leaving it outside for them to apply he said it would be most likely up to the responding crew. I'm going to store the whole batch on a rolling cart and put a sign to them on it with quickie instructions so I can just push it out the door as I am leaving. This assumes I haven't had the time to apply it myself, ie a 10 or 30 minute evacuation.

He verified my plan to place vehicles inside buildings. For them it's all about exposures and two buildings are easier for them to protect than those plus vehicles outside.

Regarding my automatic gate he said to leave it open. They'd get in anyway and leaving the gate open will cause me no damage and give them no delay or deterrent to enter.

I think I will get a little booster pump in case my pressure drops too much to apply the Barricade. But I'm now looking at the $150 1HP pumps from Northern rather than the expensive ones from Dave. My wallet's a bit anemic after my trip to Dave's shop.

/ Our forest fire precautions #36  
The booster pump may not be a bad idea. I know we look at defensible space alot around here. It is usually the first thing we look at to educate the home owner about. Usually if we are talking to the home owner her it is too late. They already had some kind of incident or close call that we are there. The property we live on worries me because we have all feilds around us except for the back. The back is very thick unmaintained woods. The good thing is the house is about 150ft. away from this. So I use the bx two thin thw woods out and place some burms inbetweent the feilds. This hopefully will hold the fire in the feild and help create a densible space. I usually take the tractor through a few times a year. Now we have the neighbor round bailing so it is keeping the grass down. It seems even on the east coast though it is getting drier and drier every season.

/ Our forest fire precautions #37  
RedDirt said:
I may make some tape-on covers for my foundation vents to keep them from blowing into the crawlspace.

My parent's house in Mt Shasta had aluminum vent covers to keep freezing air from under the house. They are easy to install and remove and are held on with little spring-tensioned hooks. Might be easier and better than expecting tape to endure heat.

Phil

/ Our forest fire precautions #38  
Great suggestion about buying some fire hose.....I have a wharf hydrant
and 4" main at 74psi, 5K gallons, so it would be valuable.

As for water tanks/cisterns, the building code specifically exempts tanks
up to 5K gallons; otherwise you need structural engineering for the tank
and foundation. Mine is site-built of concrete, above grade with all pipes
buried.

I have been considering exterior sprinklers and/or foam systems, too. Last
Sat I went to Santa Cruz for a retirement party and witnessed many
lightning strikes on the way thru the mtns. There were a number of fire
fighters at the party, but none had ever seen a residential foam system.

/ Our forest fire precautions #39  
dfkrug said:
Great suggestion about buying some fire hose.....I have a wharf hydrant
and 4" main at 74psi, 5K gallons, so it would be valuable.

As for water tanks/cisterns, the building code specifically exempts tanks
up to 5K gallons; otherwise you need structural engineering for the tank
and foundation. Mine is site-built of concrete, above grade with all pipes
buried.

I need to find the tank exemption info... where should I look?

/ Our forest fire precautions #40  
When I built my house, we were on a version of the UBC (CA Bldg Code)
valid for that year (1997), and I remember it was in the building code, not
the plumbing code. I had to read up on numerous sections at the time and
I always used the copy in the library, as I did not want to pay the hundreds
of $ for a complete set. I can not recall the section, but this is one aspect
of the code that your bldg dept may be familiar with. It is why often two
5K gal tanks are installed, rather than one 10K gal tank where 10K gal total
is required. The 10K gal tank requires an engineered and inspected
foundation.