TICKS!!!!!!

/ TICKS!!!!!! #11  
Google "Ticks". Lots of pictures and advice on how to remove them.:D :D

/ TICKS!!!!!! #12  
We've found many ticks this year and for the last 10 years. Nothing quite as small as the tiny ones mentioned though. I can't remember ever seeing them as a kid. I guess they've moved northward in the last 30+ years. I'll bet I've pulled 50+ off myself and the dogs. Monday evening I pulled 2 off one of our steers. First time I've seen them on the cows. I really get creeped out by ticks, especially when they wake me up in the wee hours crawling on me!

/ TICKS!!!!!! #13  
RollingsFarms said:
oh no these aren't fleas. they don't jump at all, and arent even the shape or color of a flea. these are very small, about the size of a small individual grain of sand. they are brown, and if you have good vision and look close enough you can see legs. if they were fleas i could easily get rid of them, but these are in my woods and my yard, and who knows where else.

other then these, i have only had 2 deer ticks on me this year. i wish i could find out some info about what kind these are.

Sounds like what around here is called 'turkey lice' or 'turkey ticks'. I've only encountered them in southern Indiana and northern Kentucky. I spent alot of time outdoors in Terre Haute in college and shortly after and never found them that far north in the state.

When I run into them there are loads of them, they look like very tiny ticks. They either bite and fall off or more likely, burrow in. They leave small bumps that itch like the devil for several weeks.

These may or may not be the same thing as 'chiggers', though people I've talked to swear they are two different things.

/ TICKS!!!!!! #14  
My yard and surrounding land is also home to many deer, and we have run across ticks as well. I have always seemed to encounter the most problems in tall grass where deer are prevelant. A simple walk through this grass will net you a leg full of tiny ticks. Since my first experience with them I always make sure to keep a can of OFF handy. I have never found a tick on me after using it. We also talked to the Vet and were told that it is safe to use on our dog as well. As said before ticks are nothing to be messed with. I've known someone who came down with Lyme disease, not a good thing.

Mark

/ TICKS!!!!!! #16  
We are surrounded by ticks and chiggers. We just have to learn to live with them. The dogs usually bring them in the house. The dogs are on Frontline but that only kills the ticks after the ticks bite the dog.

This time of year I just try to stay out of grass and woods. If I mow with the DR then I tuck the pant legs into my sock and spray with something with DEET in it. Used to soak the clothes in Permethrin but have not done so lately.

I went and mowed some trails last week. Not sure if cutting up 1-2 inch diameter saplings is mowing. :D Besides the saplings I was mowing down brush, blackberry, and "grass". Took about 4.5 hours and I never ever left the tractor seat. Woke up the next day and had two chigger bites. On on each elbow. Somehow those things got on the tractor and best I can tell climbed up the FEL control as well as the steering wheel or gear selecters. Only way they could have gotten me. :eek:

Not sure if the ticks are worse this year or not but they certainly started earlier since we warmed up pretty quick this year. Last year we had a freeze on 4/15 which is the average last for a freeze in my area. This year we had a real nice mild spring and then the heat turned on in early June.

If you see something small like bits of black pepper those might be chiggers. Seed tick aka young ticks are a bit bigger. One of the gawd aweful things about chiggers is that you can get hundreds of bites if you hit a nest. BTDT.

We had fleas once once at the city house before Frontline wiped them out. I sprayed the backyard a couple of times which was a waste of time. I think the only thing that would control ticks/chiggers is a fire. And wiping out the deer.

We were talking to a person we are doing some business with. Her husband is recovering from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. A tick got him this spring. She said they can't walk across the yard without picking them up.

Hate the things....

Later,
Dan

/ TICKS!!!!!! #18  
We're having an awful time this year with Chiggers...maybe due to the heavy rains?

Whatever the cause its been really bad this year...everytime we go out in the fields/woods we get them, and have been using some sprays to try and limit the spread.

/ TICKS!!!!!! #19  
this is the second post about bugs this year, and to be honest, either its not a problem around hear, or my free range chickens are doing a hella job at keeping them down for us.

if anything ive noticed fewer bugs so far (ticks, mosquetos, etc)

/ TICKS!!!!!! #20  
Hmm.....that guy's article makes ya think.....ducks are dirty.......chickens have their pros and cons......

story.....again...

When I was a young boy, we used to go out to my great-grandparents house. I loved it out there. They lived in a very old house, and even though great grandpa had what was considered a "good" job they lived VERY primitive. They had what I thought was woods and land. They had all kinds of animals. But the ones I remember most where the guineas. I was about 5-8 and I remember chasing the chickesn, turkeys and just about any animal they let out. One time, however, I tried chasing the guineas. Well, as I learned, guineas aren't scared like chickens. That guinea turned around and attacked me and chased me all the way back to the house. I had no idea they were agressive, could fly and out-run me! I never bothered them again.....

Sounds like some real potential for rid your property of several problems. I wonder how far they really roam? This is the type of stuff I come here to read........man, I'm ready to get started!

schmism said:
one word for ya....

guinea hens

say good buy to your flee and tick problems.

Gardening with Guineas by Jeannette S. Ferguson from the June/July, 2008 issue of Backyard Poultry