TICKS!!!!!!

/ TICKS!!!!!! #21  
If you decide to go for guinea hens, be sure to research the web on how to care for them. For instance, you have to build their home first so that the chicks adopt it and return to it.

/ TICKS!!!!!! #22  
Well, I was going to mow the yard today, but now I'm just too creeped out.

My wife and I go off exploring the woods on our 5 acres now and again, and every time she winds up with more ticks than me. We don't always find them, but if we do, she gets the high count. I always go further into the woods than she does, and propably move around more than her as she supervises. Maybe the ticks don't like my thick German skin, (or get too drunk to hold on:rolleyes: ) or maybe her rare AB blood type tastes better.

Anyway, I'm gonna go bath in Dursban now and stay indoors.

/ TICKS!!!!!! #23  
I've read in a number of places that Guinea Fowl are a great way to keep a tick population down, so I'll second that motion.
I haven't noticed a problem in my immediate area, but have certainly encountered them when I've been elsewhere at archery shoots. I've spent time picking them off myself, and overheard one guy recounting his story of getting into a patch of "seed" ticks while there. I think last winter's weather had something to do their prevalence this year.

/ TICKS!!!!!! #24  
RollingsFarms.

Deer ticks are bad news. Our doctor puts us on antibiotics right away to insure we don't get lymes disease. Lymes disease can really mess you up. There is a deer feeder that applies insecticide to the deers head and neck. In the course of two or three years it is supposed to wipe out all the deer ticks in the area. You can find information about it on the lymes disease web sites. Oh dogs get it too and it messes them up too.

Chris

/ TICKS!!!!!! #25  
Makes you wonder why the don't make Frontline for people.

I remember hearing that they were working on a lymes disease vaccine for people. Maybe it didn't pan out because I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Chris

/ TICKS!!!!!! #26  
pennwalk said:
Makes you wonder why the don't make Frontline for people.

I remember hearing that they were working on a lymes disease vaccine for people. Maybe it didn't pan out because I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Chris
You may be correct. If I recall correctly, "they" were looking for volunteers to try it out. I am thinking that one of the reciprients got lyme from the vaccine?

Early on when Lyme was first being looked into, I had inconclusive results so I went through six weeks of antibiotics for it. No big deal other than a touch of morning sickness now and then but some people never recover from Lyme.

Tucking your pant legs into your socks or wrapping elastic around them and spraying with a repellant is a good first line of defense. Ticks may not jump but they do catch a breeze. I can remember one day at Cape Henlopen in Delaware when I stood still and picked ticks off of me.

Lately, I have been putting some fence posts in the ground about twelve feet off of the woodline. The little rascals are crawling all over my posts that I previously dropped off from the truck. When I miss one and they bite in, I take my tweezers and grab a bit of skin along with the mouth parts and yank them out then apply some hydrogen peroxide.

/ TICKS!!!!!! #27  
Folks, there is a simple solution to your tick problem.

Fire ants.... solves your chigger problem, too...

For those unaware of this particular critter, it is a rather amazing ant... eats just about anything in its path... Boll weevils, ticks, chiggers, grass hoppers, box turtles, other ants, horned frogs, lots of stuff.

read all about them right here:eek:

/ TICKS!!!!!! #28  
texasjohn said:
Fire ants.... solves your chigger problem, too...

fire ants... or guinea hens.... hmmmm hard choice there :rolleyes:

/ TICKS!!!!!! #29