TICKS!!!!!!

/ TICKS!!!!!! #1  

RollingsFarms

Veteran Member
Tractor
Few John Deere's and one Ford 3600 diesel.
is it just me or are ticks WORSE this year then EVER? i live out in the middle of the woods, my land surrounds me. theres about 3 acres that's cleared out which is my yard etc. forest surrounds me. i was out cutting some firebreaks in my woods the other day and when i finished, i noticed i was COVERED in ticks! not big ones either, the smallest i have ever seen. you can feel them crawling all over you but they are hard to spot. theyre about the size of a speck of dirt...seriously. i would take a picture, but you'd have to blow it up about 100x and then it would be too blurry to see anything. i remember hitting some limbs, so maybe the tree was covered in them? what's weird is i found them mostly on my legs.

today i was out feeding my dogs and the same thing happened! i was covered in these same tiny ticks AGAIN. i went back outside and retraced my steps to see if i could find where i had gotten into them this time, but no help...just got covered with more.

i paid Orkin $70 to come spray my yard, but i think that helped about as much as not spraying it would have. is anyone else experiencing this bad of an outbreak of ticks this year? the weather was never right for me to do any control buring in my trees this year, so maybe that has something to do with why theyre so bad. i'm tired of having to take a shower everytime i come in from outside to wash off ticks. this is crazy! going into the woods and getting them is understandable, but when i get the same kinds on me in my yard, well that irritates me!

/ TICKS!!!!!! #2  
Hi Robert,
I assume you can tell a tick from a flea. The size you describe and the fact that they get on you in the yard makes me think they are fleas.

I don't think ticks can jump but fleas can.

Do you have animals around in the yard?

If it itches, scratch it!:D

/ TICKS!!!!!! #3  
I have a favorite favorite dog walking / hiking areas near my house. We cut through a former cornfield (now just grassy / small brush) and head into trails through the woods. About two months ago i found three ticks on me. Next day, two more. Third day walking through the field something caught my eye and made me look down. There were literally thousands of ticks scurrying around !!! Everywhere i looked.... ticks, ticks,ticks !!!:eek: That was our last walk in that area. I'm a long ways away from you, being in NH..... but see the same thing. I figured it must have something to do with our past winter. Though we had alot of snow, the temperature was relatively mild. I suspect the lack of sub-zero weather doesn't kill off the population like it should???

/ TICKS!!!!!! #4  
Those little ticks are called "seed ticks". I have been on some of the wild coastal islands, looked closely at the ground and seen them crawling towards me. They are easy to overlook and find when attached to your skin since they are so small. I would guess that diazinon mixed in a pump sprayer would kill them in your yard. After writing this, I am starting to feel itchy...

/ TICKS!!!!!! #5  
Ditto the ticks in coastal areas of SC- about 15 years ago we were camping at Hunting Island State Park and spent a great deal of time picking ticks off us, not really a fun trip:(
This year at my property in WNC we've found ticks 3 seperate times crawling on us, or more correctly ME while in bed. Why they chose ME and not the wife or the two dogs is a puzzle. We've had that property 3 years and have NEVER had ticks there before.....I blame it on the drought. Maybe. Don't really know.

/ TICKS!!!!!! #6  
I'll tell ya what happens. Ma tick lays hundreds of eggs and as each hatches it climbs the nearest plant as high as it can. Then it waits for you to stroll by. As your pants leg brushes against the plant, it grabs your pants and then starts climbing.

There's a couple things that you can do. Keep the plants down. Tuck your pants leg into your socks. Treat your clothes and gear with a repellent.

'Repel Permanone' is a highly recommended clothing repellent that will work through several clothing wash cycles. It also repels mosquitoes as well as ticks.

Another thing, don't sit on logs.

One last suggestion, visit the Lyme disease sites and become familiar with the appearance of the deer ticks trademark 'bullseye rash'.

/ TICKS!!!!!! #7  
I took my buddy with me back in April to look at the land we are trying to buy. By the time we had left, I had picked off 7 and my buddy had picked off 16! All in less than two hours. We didn't get into heavy weeds we mainly stayed on the "green" paths as seen in the pics.

Attachments

• DSC06655.JPG
    DSC06655.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC06682.JPG
    DSC06682.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 134
   / TICKS!!!!!! #8  
There have been a lot of stories on the news here in the northeast about the prevalence of ticks this year, especially deer ticks.

I was commenting to a friend just a week or so ago that I had never seen a tick and wasn't sure I would know it if I saw one. That afternoon when I was done with the day's tractor work and hauling brush to the dump, I notice a tick on the side of my neck. It was awkward for me to get at it, but my wife could easily remove it, and we could tell it was a nasty deer tick. :eek:

The suggestion in this area is to get in the habit of checking yourself each night before bed, since it takes 24 hours for a tick to infect someone. I now check much more often, because those things really creep me out....

Jay

/ TICKS!!!!!!
gotrocks said:
Hi Robert,
I assume you can tell a tick from a flea. The size you describe and the fact that they get on you in the yard makes me think they are fleas.

I don't think ticks can jump but fleas can.

Do you have animals around in the yard?

If it itches, scratch it!:D

oh no these aren't fleas. they don't jump at all, and arent even the shape or color of a flea. these are very small, about the size of a small individual grain of sand. they are brown, and if you have good vision and look close enough you can see legs. if they were fleas i could easily get rid of them, but these are in my woods and my yard, and who knows where else.

other then these, i have only had 2 deer ticks on me this year. i wish i could find out some info about what kind these are.

/ TICKS!!!!!! #10  
Deer ticks are very small and they may carry Lyme Disease. BE CAREFUL..
Wood ticks are larger, around the size of a match head or bigger.