Dogs and lightning

/ Dogs and lightning #1  

ed fewlass

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM 1700B
I will try to put this as nicely as i can has anyone ever had or heard of a dog being struck by lightning my border collie is a baby when a storm comes my wife thinks he got shocked I never heard about a dog being hit by lightning thanks :eek:

/ Dogs and lightning #2  
It is probably more the thunder than the lightning...
Have a Lab/Golden mix that is very afraid of storms, he trembles and hides, have another dog that won't go out in a storm but isn't afraid inside but then I used to have an Airedale that not only wasn't afraid of storms she'd run out in the backyard during thunderstorms and bark at the sky:D

/ Dogs and lightning #3  
I can't say I've ever heard of a dog being struck by lightning, but I've sure seen dogs that were scared of thunder and lightning. I think it's just an unusual enough sight and sound to startle them.

And welcome to Tractorbynet. I see you got your account activated.;)

/ Dogs and lightning #4  
He-he. One time our 150 lb. dog dove under the couch during a lightning storm. He flipped the couch and had nowhere to hide!

/ Dogs and lightning #5  
Dogs watch the reactions of the humans around them . If the dogs owners show they are afraid of it the dog will do the same . I go out on the verandah with a beer and watch it dance around the sky . I enjoy every minute of it , my little dog sits with me and seems to enjoy my reactions (to the lightning not the beer) , it does not worry him in the slightest .

/ Dogs and lightning #6  
I've never heard of a dog being STRUCK by lightning, but about 30 years ago a fellow I worked with had his black lab chained to a section of chain link fence that ran behind 5 or 6 houses. The fence was hit about two houses down and the unfortunate dog was killed. :eek:

Does that count?

/ Dogs and lightning #7  
years ago I had a dog tied up with a metal chain with a metal choke collar to a metal stake in the ground. there was a storm nearby and she got shocked by a nearby lightning strike and was fearful of thunderstorms from then on. She died years later but the fear legacy lives on. Lady passed the fear on to Bunny who passed it on to Ribsy who has passed it on to Dufus. But for some reason we have 2 dogs who never picked up on it.

/ Dogs and lightning #8  
My golden retriever was terrified of thunder storms. He would simply vanish when a storm approaches, we never did figure out where he would go to.
He's completely deaf now, 100%, So the storms dont bother him any more. I figure it must be something to do with the atmosphere that precedes the storm. Ultrasonic noise? Air pressure? Static electricity? who knows...

I know my wife gets terrible headaches when theres thunder storm coming. I assume it is something the same in my dog.

/ Dogs and lightning #9  
The lab/golden I mentioned is scared of ALL loud bangs...he hates guns, which is funny considering his DNA should have him pegged as a gun dog. I was using an air operated framing nailer and even that scared him. He even figured out to associate the sight or smell of guns with his fear, if I take one out to clean it or work on it, no actual shooting, he is gone! He usually hides between our bed and the wall, laying low. He will rarely enter my gun room. The 4th of July and New Years is a big problem for him too, we have some neighbors that go nuts with the fireworks and he hates every minute of it. Can't fault him for any of it though, he is the biggest sweetest goofy dog you ever saw.:)

/ Dogs and lightning #10  
Blagadan said:
He's completely deaf now, 100%, So the storms dont bother him any more. I figure it must be something to do with the atmosphere that precedes the storm. Ultrasonic noise? Air pressure? Static electricity? who knows...

We have a black lab outside dog that has a doggie door into our barn. She is almost completely deaf, but storms have always frightened her. She goes into the barn when a storm starts and then tries to dig out under the main barn doors during a storm. If she gets out, she comes to the house and hides under the porch. If she can't get out, she gets sick and vomits all over the barn floor. She's a mess during storms and seems to be getting worse as she gets older.