dam valves

/ dam valves #1  

toddler

Gold Member
Tractor
Previously: Kubota B2710. Now Deere 3520
Hi all,
We had our pond and feeder creek re-dug last spring. It now fills with any significant rain, but then it drains back out the feeder creek.

I'm trying to design a dam into which I will put a one-way water/sewage valve, so the pond can always fill to the level of the feeder creek, even if the creek doesn't rise over the top of the dam. I'll probably pour the dam with concrete, the creek is small, so the dam will only span 5' or so at the top, figure 7' as it'll have to extend into the surounding dirt. Probably 3-4' high.

I don't want the pond's level to drop three feet before it refills, so I want a one way valve below the top.

Need advice on what kind of valve to get, where to get it, and how much it will cost. Not sure, but a 3-4" valve would probably be enough to keep my small pond full

Thanks in advance,

Todd

/ dam valves #2  
Toddler,

McMaster-Carr sells a PVC and ABS swing-check valve. 4" for around $50. Go to mcmaster.com, type in check valves, then click on thermosplastic check valves, pg 2, or search on P/N 4670K58. Mcmaster-Carr is an industrial supply house that has nearly everything. Between them and MSC Industrial Supply, almost anything you need but companionship and tractors can be had./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

The swing valve has a flapper in it, hanging from the top, zero pressure (flow only) pushes it up out of the way, once flow stops it flops back down and seals off flow going the other way. You will need screens both above and below to keep trash from plugging it up, but it should work fine. I would probably recommend ABS for UV resistance. If you are burying it, it won't matter, but then you won't have access to the clean out port.

Nick